Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Oh... so now you are saying it is indeed black and hispanic issue after challenging me on it? I think "you are correct" are the words you are seeking.

Asking people, ALL PEOPLE, to present ID is somehow racist? How do they drive? How do they cash checks? How do the enter a government building? How do they travel to another country? How do they purchase alcohol? How do they apply for a job? How do they attend a college?

All of these activiites generally require an ID. Even some polling places do. I presented an ID on Election Day for years in Washington, DC. Our African-American majority had no problem with it.
you can get by in life without a drivers license. if you live in the city you'll never need one.

its also funny that republicans who want to be more off the grid, and are against intrusion and having to produce documents, you know, the rugged individualism, doesn't conform to what the general public has to, would be in favor of having to produce an ID.

seems to go against the mentality many on the right have of less government, yet we have to have a specific form of government ID and only that form of government ID works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,529 times
I don't understand why some folks would want to make something as important as voting to be as easy as voting for American Idol...

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 AM

moth, you are still forcing people to get something that is unnecessary like a drivers license to be able to vote, which is a guaranteed right.

the only way its fair would be for the state to pay for people who want to vote, but dont have a drivers license.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't understand why some folks would want to make something as important as voting to be as easy as voting for American Idol...
that sounds solid, but nobody cared about voter ID until just recently all of a sudden, which is why i have my doubts of the sincerity.

if its such a big deal, why wasnt voter ID implemented years ago. why all of a sudden is it a big deal now?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
you can get by in life without a drivers license. if you live in the city you'll never need one.

its also funny that republicans who want to be more off the grid, and are against intrusion and having to produce documents, you know, the rugged individualism, doesn't conform to what the general public has to, would be in favor of having to produce an ID.

seems to go against the mentality many on the right have of less government, yet we have to have a specific form of government ID and only that form of government ID works.
I noted several other examples where one needs a photo ID. By ignoring them, you are, by default, being disingenuous.

And I have never, ever heard any Republican politician, strategist, or pundit claim that IDs are somehow intrusive. No Republican or Democrat, to my knowledge, has proposed or introduced any legislation that abolishes IDs. So either you made that up or you are resorting to dishonesty.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
moth, you are still forcing people to get something that is unnecessary like a drivers license to be able to vote, which is a guaranteed right.

the only way its fair would be for the state to pay for people who want to vote, but dont have a drivers license.
Many state ID cards are issued free.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Excuse me!

With Rights, come Responsibilities.

You cannot get through life without some form of proper photo ID- I will bet you have one or more. People who do not are either in this country illegally or live lifestyles akin to the Unabomber. The former are not allowed to vote and the latter do not care.

Procuring a photo ID is anything but an arduous task. It requires about an hour of one's time. Pretending otherwise is dishonest.

One more time- Rights>Responsibilities:

I have the right to Free Speech, but I cannot shout fire in a full theater. Nor can I slander someone.

I have the right to a trial by a jury of my peers. I still must respect the court and follow proper procedure.

I have the right to own a firearm in my State (I don't have one). I still must take a test, get a permit, undergo training, and register the weapon.

All of those are my Rights. And they all come with Responsibilities.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Many state ID cards are issued free.
Many? Besides, just free shouldn't be the end of it, it should be made hassle free, at least no more than registering to vote.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM

im heading out, but just want to summarize my thoughts on this.

republicans have been in charge before and showed no initiative to sign voter ID when they had no problems winning elections. all of a sudden when there favorables are negative, they get on the stump and say voter ID should be in place, which is why I know the republicans are not sincere about it.

the goal is to make voting a hassle for people who they know dont have the licenses to begin with, which will cause them to stay home. i dont see this as being a sizable enough portion of the population to alter anything.

for example, rick scott enacting voter ID laws in florida is not going to save him in 2012. he is the most disliked governor in the country and will be voted out. the tidal wave of anti-scott fever in florida overrides the idea that certain people who surely would vote against him wont vote because of the extra hassle to it. it wont matter as i stated, since the public sentiment is so much against scott.

the whole premise though that republicans, or even dems, care about your vote when it doesnt benefit them is laughable.

of course partisans on both sides will play the game like normal, but it is what it is, a law to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside that people actually care about protecting my vote and that these great politicians care about having honest elections that are straight down the middle.

i say give me a break, i'm not that damn gullible.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
im heading out, but just want to summarize my thoughts on this.

republicans have been in charge before and showed no initiative to sign voter ID when they had no problems winning elections. all of a sudden when there favorables are negative, they get on the stump and say voter ID should be in place, which is why I know the republicans are not sincere about it.

the goal is to make voting a hassle for people who they know dont have the licenses to begin with, which will cause them to stay home. i dont see this as being a sizable enough portion of the population to alter anything.

for example, rick scott enacting voter ID laws in florida is not going to save him in 2012. he is the most disliked governor in the country and will be voted out. the tidal wave of anti-scott fever in florida overrides the idea that certain people who surely would vote against him wont vote because of the extra hassle to it. it wont matter as i stated, since the public sentiment is so much against scott.

the whole premise though that republicans, or even dems, care about your vote when it doesnt benefit them is laughable.

of course partisans on both sides will play the game like normal, but it is what it is, a law to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside that people actually care about protecting my vote and that these great politicians care about having honest elections that are straight down the middle.

i say give me a break, i'm not that damn gullible.
Nor is the GOP.

In addition to ignoring the fact that with Rights come Responsibilites, you also ignore that other little technicality:

The Democrats are encouraging, assisting, and subsidizing hundreds of thousands if not millions of illegals to come here. They want them to vote for Democrats. They want them to vote for Democrats even before you grant them amnesty.

That's why you have a problem with IDs. You want to assist them with one of the greatest examples of voter fraud in history.

If the GOP tried such a feat, you would be rioting. And you would be justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies