Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How do you know the vaccines work? I work with people who get the flu vaccines and guess what -- they almost all seem to get sick with something like the flu. Some became very ill within days of their flu shots.

I have never once had a flu shot and I haven't had a flu in many many years. I never get anything more than a cold. I never missed a single day of work, nor a single day of college or high school. I've had flu like symptoms in the past but I got them after school or work and by morning was completely better so I'm not sure it was the flu.
The flu vaccine is imperfect because it evolves so rapidly that by the time the "new flu" begins hitting people there is no real way to know what genetic characteristics it has. Therefore, most flu vaccinations are given using the previous year's genetic breakdown. Even if the flu virus is different than the previous year, the "back door" by which the bodies immune system can attack the hardened RNA shell may still be the same. Other times it may not.

So, no, the flu vaccine isn't perfect and that is readily acknowledged. But, the last time I checked it did have a greater than 50% chance of preventing the flu. That may not be as great as what we'd like but it's certainly better than nothing!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I had the flu and was out for a week. Nothing like you had.
I don't know anyone that had the flu that was out for 2 months either.
Maybe you're the type that needs vaccines more than others.
The thing is that you never you which type you are. Everyone needs vaccines so none of us have to find out. For all I know I'm "the type" that would be dead of smallpox. As recently as 1967 more than two million people died from it. Aren't you glad that we have vaccines so we don't have to find out anything about smallpox ever again? For that matter would you rather have a shot with the possibility of a minor side effect for a day or so or be sick for week?

Again the reasoning here does not make sense. Why are shots so scary but real diseases being dismissed as of no consequence? ALL of us need vaccines. The only people who don't are those who can't get them because of medical reasons. And they need the rest of us to get them. That action protects all of us. Isn't that amazing and wonderful? Isn't it amazing that no one dies from smallpox anymore? That very few people are paralyzed by polio or made mentally retarded in the womb by congenital rubella syndrome?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The thing is that you never you which type you are. Everyone needs vaccines so none of us have to find out. For all I know I'm "the type" that would be dead of smallpox. As recently as 1967 more than two million people died from it. Aren't you glad that we have vaccines so we don't have to find out anything about smallpox ever again? For that matter would you rather have a shot with the possibility of a minor side effect for a day or so or be sick for week?

Again the reasoning here does not make sense. Why are shots so scary but real diseases being dismissed as of no consequence? ALL of us need vaccines. The only people who don't are those who can't get them because of medical reasons. And they need the rest of us to get them. That action protects all of us. Isn't that amazing and wonderful? Isn't it amazing that no one dies from smallpox anymore? That very few people are paralyzed by polio or made mentally retarded in the womb by congenital rubella syndrome?
Actually I'm of the opinion that not everyone needs every vaccine that comes on the market.
The one time I had the flu was the same time I got the flu shot. Odd coincidence ? Who knows but it convinced me to not get that any more.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Actually I'm of the opinion that not everyone needs every vaccine that comes on the market.
The one time I had the flu was the same time I got the flu shot. Odd coincidence ? Who knows but it convinced me to not get that any more.
You are entitled to your opoinions. You're not entitle to your facts. Flu can kill.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
Unless you got the flumist you can't get the flu from the flu vaccine. It's biologically impossible.

Which vaccines should we forego? The MMR so we can all get measles? The DTaP so we can get diphteria, pertussis and tetanus? The HiB so little babies can get meningitis? The OPV for polio? The hep b so we can risk liver failure?

Please tell.

The problem isn't overvaccination. The problem is undervaccination. That's why there were 15,000 cases of measles in France last year. That's why hundreds of thousands of babies die each year from measles, HiB, rotavirus and all sorts of other vaccine preventable diseases.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:

Sure -- smallpox can be horrible - and the government won't even allow us that vaccine.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Unless you got the flumist you can't get the flu from the flu vaccine. It's biologically impossible.

Which vaccines should we forego? The MMR so we can all get measles? The DTaP so we can get diphteria, pertussis and tetanus? The HiB so little babies can get meningitis? The OPV for polio? The hep b so we can risk liver failure?

Please tell.

The problem isn't overvaccination. The problem is undervaccination. That's why there were 15,000 cases of measles in France last year. That's why hundreds of thousands of babies die each year from measles, HiB, rotavirus and all sorts of other vaccine preventable diseases.
I'm not going to dictate to you what vaccine you should or shouldn't get.
Let individuals make up their minds.

I don't see any "we" here. It would be MY choice for ME.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I had chicken pox. I was fine from it. That doesn't mean others are fine.

I have a baby. Babies under one cannot get vaccinated against measles because it doesn't work. If my baby were exposed to measles, she would most surely get it as measles is one of the most contagious diseases on the planet. Nine people died for no reason.

As I pointed out there were over 15,000 thousand cases of measles in France alone last year. Why shouldn't I worry? Or worry that the MMR shots my family received didn't work? Why should I have to worry because some people refuse shots because they don't understand basic immunology or simple risk analysis? Why should I and my family be at risk because someone else does not understand why rational public health measures are necessary?

Why are we supposed to worry about the small risks from a shot but not actual full blown diseases? You haven't answered that question.
Oh I understand basic immunology.

That's why I want to keep my immune system active and working and a vaccine does not stimulate the immune system the same way a full blown illness does. You simply don't get the full array of B cells, T cells, IgM and various IgG.

Don't use it - you lose it. And that which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You are entitled to your opoinions. You're not entitle to your facts. Flu can kill.
And where did I post that "fact" ? I didn't. Where did I say that the flu doesn't kill people ?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to dictate to you what vaccine you should or shouldn't get.
Let individuals make up their minds.

I don't see any "we" here. It would be MY choice for ME.
Exactly.

I don't think anyone is trying to dictate to those who want every vaccine possible that they cannot have them. And if they have them, then they should have no fear of catching something.

If they get their flu shot then they're protected from my flu if I get the flu. Just like their children are protected by the vaccine from whopping cough while the unvaccinated kids might get whopping cough.

Educate people -- polio vaccine is definitely one many people would want to have, same goes for tetanus but many who have had the flu in the past and had few and minor symptoms may decide it's not a vaccine they really need.

I'm pretty sure I've had the flu a long time ago and more than one. All it was for me was come aches and chills and fever and I used the family "cure" and it was gone by morning.

Someone else whose flu lasted for 2 months and left them bedridden for weeks may decide to get the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies