Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Sigh, The government doesn't create jobs, the private sector does. The government can only create an environment that is friendly or hostile business and thus job creation.
I agree with you more or less. If you give everyone money to spend then you will have a corresponding increase in spent money and that will tend to drive up employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 04:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,072 times
Default A partnership

why can't we partner the government and private sector in repairing the infrastructure that was completed during the Roosevelt administration. Those were incredible projects that put the whole country back to work. But obviously one side doesn't like "government" at all...for any reason...and the private sector cannot afford to do it alone. A partnership sounds very reasonable. There must be hundreds of thousands of jobs that could be created and our infrastructure would be updated, new and safe for many generations to come. I would like to say this was my brilliant plan, but alas, I just heard it from someone else on TV. But I was very impressed by the thought.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:11 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
I agree with you more or less. If you give everyone money to spend then you will have a corresponding increase in spent money and that will tend to drive up employment.
For the sake of argument, I said assume no tax increases or spending increases. The only way that you could give everyone money is to increase the debt or raise taxes. So what other ideas do you have.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
why can't we partner the government and private sector in repairing the infrastructure that was completed during the Roosevelt administration. Those were incredible projects that put the whole country back to work. But obviously one side doesn't like "government" at all...for any reason...and the private sector cannot afford to do it alone. A partnership sounds very reasonable. There must be hundreds of thousands of jobs that could be created and our infrastructure would be updated, new and safe for many generations to come. I would like to say this was my brilliant plan, but alas, I just heard it from someone else on TV. But I was very impressed by the thought.
Again, you have to pay for the spending with either more debt or more taxes.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Mmmmm, "give everyone money"? What ate you talking about?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
For the sake of argument, I said assume no tax increases or spending increases. The only way that you could give everyone money is to increase the debt or raise taxes. So what other ideas do you have.
Well if you print money you cen give the newly printed money away. The fed is trying to loan money out at 0.25% to get the economy to grow and not having much success. So why not print $1trillion and write everyone a check for just short of $4k? That will grow the economy.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Mmmmm, "give everyone money"? What ate you talking about?
The fed is trying to loan out enough money at 0.25% to get the economy growing. If they can't do this (four years into it we still don't have strong growth, this is a liquidity trap.) then you need to think hard about printing money and just giving it away.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Sigh, The government doesn't create jobs, the private sector does. The government can only create an environment that is friendly or hostile business and thus job creation.
You start to feel lonely trying to explain that to people. All the government does is meddle and redistribute wealth, with consequences that often take years to fester and grow out of control.

It could be argued that the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, set up in 1963 to help some 36,000 ex-Studebaker employees, is responsible for part of the mess we are in today.

The PBGC got the employees 15 cents on the dollar in pension benefits, but Congress then went on to pass ERISA, which taxed every company offering a defined benefits pension. Many companies eventually abandoned defined benefits to avoid the tax, and went to defined contribution plans, where maybe they did or didn't match whatever the employee into their 401(k) plans or 403(b) plans. And the onus was on the employee to make good investment decisions, with the result that almost 75% of all baby-boomers don't have enough to retire on today.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:42 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Printing money would also reduce the inflated value of the dollar making imported goods more expensive. No need to break trade agreements, just level the field. If football were played the way our trade is, the field would be slanted one way and the sides would never switch.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
The fed is trying to loan out enough money at 0.25% to get the economy growing. If they can't do this (four years into it we still don't have strong growth, this is a liquidity trap.) then you need to think hard about printing money and just giving it away.
I have no idea what else to say to this proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies