Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
Homophobes frequently refer to homosexuality as a mental disorder, despite there being no evidence to support that viewpoint. It is actually them, the homophobes who are mentally ill, often times relying on bogus and puerile religious doctrine to form their ill-informed viewpoints.

What do you think? Are homophobes suffering from a mental disorder?
The word itself is a misnomer at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 06:43 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The word itself is a misnomer at least.
Nice catch, I didn't notice this until you pointed it out!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
Homophobia means you're scared of homosexuals. Thinking homosexuality is wrong doesn't mean you're scared of the people themselves...

Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Actually being gay was considered part of abnormal psychology until politics and money paid and influenced a different outcome.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Actually being gay was considered part of abnormal psychology until politics and money paid and influenced a different outcome.
No dear, the psychiatric community realized Freud was simply wrong about it.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 07-08-2011 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: wrong medical arm

Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Hmmm.. good point.

But there are people who could disagree with tallness--so I wouldn't question the idea that a person cannot disagree with a person's physiology, because you'd be surprised at the number of people who dislike someone solely based on traits that really that person has no control over. People will always find a reason or way to not like another--so why try to make sense of it or question it? I guess I just don't see how trying to force people to like someone(that they don't like) as beneficial, or how trying to make sense of their dislike is beneficial? There are just people out there that "dislike", that "hate" and so on and it is what it is. Those people have the right to feel how they feel even if it doesn't make sense to those that are the targets of their dislike. Where it becomes "dangerous" and "phobic" is when that dislike borders irrationally, repulsion, and discrimination. But the idea that one HAS to like something or else they have a mental issue is very narrow-minded IMO. Not everyone is going to like person "A"--that does not mean that everyone that dislikes person "A" has "issues".
Bottom line is that it's perfectly OKAY to dislike/disagree with homosexuality(for whatever reason) and it does not mean one has a mental disorder or is a closeted homosexual.
"Dislike" and "disagree with" mean something quite different.

If someone says they "dislike" homosexuality or "dislikes" tallness, at least it makes sense linguistically.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No dear, the psychological community realized Freud was simply wrong about it.
Oh, so all the money in politics that I saw back then to influence change all that wasn't what I saw? OK

Honestly I just thought from all the politics I thought they just bought a different outcome.
But the psychological community came all together at once in a flash? Uh huh!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Oh, so all the money in politics that I saw back then to influence change all that wasn't what I saw? OK

Honestly I just thought from all the politics I thought they just bought a different outcome.
Hmmmmm, do you have any statistical data to back up your claim that $ and politics changed the AMA classification?
If so, please share, as I am sure it is riveting reading, I would love to read of which you are speaking.
Or, as is most likely the reality, is this merely your opinion?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Quote:

The "psychological community" didn't "all come together at once in a flash".

Other health organizations in the US and around the world had already changed their views on homosexuality because of the empirical data. The APA was actually rather slow.

The first DSM was only published in 1952 when being homosexual was not culturally acceptable and was illegal.

When studies like those of Evelyn Hooker's in the late 50's were done with average gay people, they found overwhelmingly that homosexuality had no pathology to classify it as a mental illness.

The problem was that there was as a contingent of psychiatrists in the APA who had religious/conservative reasons for their "opinions" on homosexualty -(like the founders of NARTH). These were the ones who forced a vote on wether to keep homosexuality in the DSM or not. Some of these psychiatrists were the ones performing all sorts of harmful "treatment" on gay people, including Electro-shock therapy, chemical castration, physical castration, testical transplants, hormone therapy, aversion therapy etc... on people who were not mentally ill...just gay. None of this "therapy" worked- and it had serious harmful effects.

THIS is what gay activists, many health professionals, and many psychiatrists within the APA were protesting. (not just gay people)

Because of all the scientific empirical evidence that showed gay people's mental health was normal, as well as changing cultural vews, the protestors were demanding that the APA board review all the scientific data.

As a result of the data being reviewed, the APA board proposed removing homosexuality from the DSM. The conservative psychiatrists in the APA resisted this and forced a vote. Because of these people, a bit of to-ing and fro-ing happened for some years before it was completely removed.

Homosexuality and Mental Health

Last edited by Ceist; 07-08-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
"Dislike" and "disagree with" mean something quite different.

If someone says they "dislike" homosexuality or "dislikes" tallness, at least it makes sense linguistically.
True.

The reason I used the word "disagree" is because that is the word I've heard people toss around when they say they dislike homosexuality--it's usually "I disagree with the lifestyle".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies