Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 07:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
True. But when I say disagree--I mean those that find homosexuality against their beliefs(primarily those that are religious for instance). Or if that person has beliefs that sex should just occur between those of the opposite sex, then wouldn't homosexuality be against their beliefs--and therefore they "disagree" with it for that entire reason?

The reason I used the word "disagree" is because that is the word I've heard people toss around when they say they dislike homosexuality--it's usually "I disagree with the lifestyle".
Which is a merely catchphrase, no more, no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Homophobia means you're scared of homosexuals. Thinking homosexuality is wrong doesn't mean you're scared of the people themselves...
It means more than just having a fear of homosexuals. It includes feeling antipathy or hatred toward them.

Homophobic | Define Homophobic at Dictionary.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Actually being gay was considered part of abnormal psychology until politics and money paid and influenced a different outcome.
What a tired old conspiracy theory. As the other poster said: Prove it.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Hmmmmm, do you have any statistical data to back up your claim that $ and politics changed the AMA classification?
If so, please share, as I am sure it is riveting reading, I would love to read of which you are speaking.
Or, as is most likely the reality, is this merely your opinion?
Religious-right anti-gay groups have been trying to re-write history. You'll find a gazillion websites all trying to claim that homosexuality was removed from the DSM in 1973 solely because of gay activists "storming the APA meetings" etc. (This actually did happen, although the protesters weren't just gay people).

They completely and conveniently ignore all the empirical evidence that was reviewed before the decision. And they completely ignore the fact that the American APA was not the only mental health organization that existed in the world.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Religious-right anti-gay groups have been trying to re-write history. You'll find a gazillion websites all trying to claim that homosexuality was removed from the DSM in 1973 solely because of gay activists "storming the APA meetings" etc. (This actually did happen, although the protesters weren't just gay people).

They completely and conveniently ignore all the empirical evidence that was reviewed before the decision. And they completely ignore the fact that the American APA was not the only mental health organization that existed in the world.
And they ignore all of the research that has been done since the decision as well. It's as if their worlds are frozen in time, circa 1973.

My experience with a lot of social conservatives is that they're not in touch with the modern world - and they don't want to be. They don't like science and they don't like the truth. It's too scary for them.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
It is not a mental disorder, that is unles you consider ignorance a disorder.
I was once a homophobe. Punched out a few gay men just because I could, maybe more than a few.
What changed?
While going through chemo I met a wonderful person. Her name is kristine. A transexual.
I had no support net work. No family helping me through this.
One day at my lowest. Sick as a dog. Someone put a cool cloth to my forehead. Kristine going through chemo as well. But she found the strength and the compassion to show someone like me a little kindness.
I would wager that most homophobes are like myself. We dont really know any gay people or we barely know them. Its easy to hate on folks you dont know and dont even bother to try and understand.
Through her I have gotten to know a number of gay people. What I have learned is that they have courage this combat vet only wishes he had. They show the world who they really are and they are true to themselves.
They are fun to be around and guess what they dont judge at least not like your average run of the mill haters do.
Call me a gay lover, a *** whatever. I learned they are people too.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
True.

The reason I used the word "disagree" is because that is the word I've heard people toss around when they say they dislike homosexuality--it's usually "I disagree with the lifestyle".
I wonder if it may be because a lot of people don't like to come straight out and say they "dislike" or "hate" homosexuality or "dislike" or "hate" gay people. It sounds kind of bigoted- like saying they dislike or hate blacks or dislike Jews. And people don't like to see themselves as bigoted.

Perhaps they think saying they "disagree" with homosexuality lends their opinion a little more respectability or reasonableness? As if it is just some kind of polite argument.

But gay people are homosexual - that's not something that the vast majority of gay people can actually choose or change. Studies have shown that homosexuals have a slightly different brain structure, react differently to pheromones etc, as well as other physiological differences that are about as changeable as being tall.

So a person saying that they "disagree" with homosexuality, actually comes across to a gay person as if someone actually "disagrees" with their very existance. Which is kind of hateful. Or that they think that gay people should be heterosexual - which is kind of impossible.

Now if someone says they don't like homosexuality or are uncomfortable with it, or the idea of gay male sex makes them feel "icky" - then okay.... whatever. But is that a rational reason to discriminate against gay people?

Last edited by Ceist; 07-08-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It is not a mental disorder, that is unles you consider ignorance a disorder.
I was once a homophobe. Punched out a few gay men just because I could, maybe more than a few.
What changed?
While going through chemo I met a wonderful person. Her name is kristine. A transexual.
I had no support net work. No family helping me through this.
One day at my lowest. Sick as a dog. Someone put a cool cloth to my forehead. Kristine going through chemo as well. But she found the strength and the compassion to show someone like me a little kindness.
I would wager that most homophobes are like myself. We dont really know any gay people or we barely know them. Its easy to hate on folks you dont know and dont even bother to try and understand.
Through her I have gotten to know a number of gay people. What I have learned is that they have courage this combat vet only wishes he had. They show the world who they really are and they are true to themselves.
They are fun to be around and guess what they dont judge at least not like your average run of the mill haters do.
Call me a gay lover, a *** whatever. I learned they are people too.
Great post. I think you are right - most people who "hate, dislike, disagree with or fear" gay people, don't really know many at a personal level. (Or at least they are not aware that someone they do know is actually gay).

Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And they ignore all of the research that has been done since the decision as well. It's as if their worlds are frozen in time, circa 1973.

My experience with a lot of social conservatives is that they're not in touch with the modern world - and they don't want to be. They don't like science and they don't like the truth. It's too scary for them.
Perhaps homophobia is more of a developmental delay then?

Most mature, rational, intelligent adults can handle the idea that there are people who are different from themselves, even if they are a little uncomfortable with it.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I wonder if it may be because a lot of people don't like to come straight out and say they "dislike" or "hate" homosexuality or "dislike" or "hate" gay people. It sounds kind of bigoted- like saying they dislike or hate blacks or dislike Jews. And people don't like to see themselves as bigoted.

Perhaps they think saying they "disagree" with homosexuality lends their opinion a little more respectability or reasonableness? As if it is just some kind of polite argument.

But gay people are homosexual - that's not something that the vast majority of gay people can actually choose or change. Studies have shown that homosexuals have a slightly different brain structure, react differently to pheromones etc, as well as other physiological differences that are about as changeable as being tall.

So a person saying that they "disagree" with homosexuality, actually comes across to a gay person as if someone actually "disagrees" with their very existance. Which is kind of hateful. Or that they think that gay people should be heterosexual - which is kind of impossible.

Now if someone says they don't like homosexuality or are uncomfortable with it, or the idea of gay male sex makes them feel "icky" - then okay.... whatever. But is that a rational reason to discriminate against gay people?
It may just be word misuse as well. Honestly I don't know, I'm just going by what I've heard commonly used by people who are anti-homosexual--it's typically the whole "I disagree with the lifestyle" statement. I'm sure that there are those who are actually using it as a cover up for their extreme repulsion or hatred, or those that just dislike it but didn't use the right word to describe their feelings toward it.

The thing I don't understand(and maybe I'm not comprehending) is that just because a person feels that gay male sex is "icky" does not mean that he/she is necessarily discriminating against gays. A person can think gay sex is icky, and leave at that--without harboring any real hatred or violence toward homosexuals. Why is that hard to believe?

My boyfriend thinks gay sex between men is disgusting and he is repulsed by it. But I'm bisexual, and he finds sex between two women very beautiful. He also has many lesbian friends(though they tend to act and look like
men) and always has since he was in HS. He has never discriminated against a gay male, even though he is repulsed by gay male sex.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
It may just be word misuse as well. Honestly I don't know, I'm just going by what I've heard commonly used by people who are anti-homosexual--it's typically the whole "I disagree with the lifestyle" statement. I'm sure that there are those who are actually using it as a cover up for their extreme repulsion or hatred, or those that just dislike it but didn't use the right word to describe their feelings toward it.

The thing I don't understand(and maybe I'm not comprehending) is that just because a person feels that gay male sex is "icky" does not mean that he/she is necessarily discriminating against gays. A person can think gay sex is icky, and leave at that--without harboring any real hatred or violence toward homosexuals. Why is that hard to believe?

My boyfriend thinks gay sex between men is disgusting and he is repulsed by it. But I'm bisexual, and he finds sex between two women very beautiful. He also has many lesbian friends(though they tend to act and look like
men) and always has since he was in HS. He has never discriminated against a gay male, even though he is repulsed by gay male sex.
I still have no idea what people mean when they say "homosexual lifestyle". Gays and lesbians live a wide range of lifestyles just as heterosexual people do.

Again, it's a phrase that doesn't make sense to me. It seems to be used as a term to lump all gay people together - which makes them easier to vilify than considering gay people at an individual personal level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies