Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:48 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
In a free and prosperous country the airlines would handle security and like in other countries it would be non-invasive and professional and profiling
Have you traveled overseas much? I suspect not. I've been patted down in many prosperous countries, but don't let your naive, in experienced, and uneducated beliefs hinder your misleading rhetoric.

Quote:
when there are bomb sniffing dogs that could easily be used instead for a lot less cost.
Come on, if everyone was forced to be sniffed by a dog you'd be in hear screaming at the top of your lungs about the injustice of that. Any angle to feel repressed you'll grab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post

<snip>
station if you want. That is a whole bit different than taking a pair of binoculars and trespassing upon the land of a private citizen to snoop. And really, normal citizens who have nothing to hide need not worry about such things.
Which authoritarian tyrant in history did you borrow that line from? Doesn't really matter since all of 'em said it.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,708 times
Its getting pretty bad when you hear about incidents like the swat team that murdered the guy in Arizona right in front of his family a couple months ago.
It seems like the real terrorists are government sponsored.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
It has nothing to do with a police state. First of all the Constitution gives you rights within the confines of your private homes and "papers" which would be things like your bank accounts and phone records. The government needs a warrant to search either. Once you leave the confines of your private home and enter into common public space, those rights are greatly diminished because the safety and security of others comes into play. Note this from the article:
Incredibly, in the absence of any viable threat, VIPR teams–roving SWAT teams, with no need for a warrant–have conducted 8,000 such searches in public places over the past year.
This is intentionally designed to scare the reader into thinking the government is conducting rouge searches of citizens when in fact they are not. They are simply looking at public places and public places do not require a warrant and are open to anybody to "search". You can take a pair of binoculars to a bridge and look under it for hidden contraband as a citizen if you want. You can take a flashlight and check the trash bins at the local rail station if you want. That is a whole bit different than taking a pair of binoculars and trespassing upon the land of a private citizen to snoop. And really, normal citizens who have nothing to hide need not worry about such things.
You are simply unaware of the government doing illegal searches. Which is typical of a person who defends authority.

It's not only that you don't care...that's a given.....It's that your are totally unware of it going on.

Inspector General report on FBI Patriot Act violations.

http://photos1.blogger.com/photoInclude/x/blogger/1794/1771/1600/186612/nsl3.jpg (broken link)

three more links here detailing illegal government abuse of citizens

//www.city-data.com/forum/19267173-post108.html

Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM

774 posts, read 1,164,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
I'd be curious to know...out of the people posting in this thread about us living in a police state....

How many of you have actually been illegally searched?

In my 30 years of life and various run ins with the law I have been searched/patted down a grand total of 0 times. None, zip, zero, zilch, nada.
I have had my personal vehicle illegally searched more than 5 times that I can specifically recall. I have had my home broken into by LAPD. I mean no-knock, kick-the-door-down, don't-move, illegally searched. No warrant, nothing illegal found. The police state is here and has been here since the '60s. Don't let anyone fool you into believing otherwise.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:30 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
The light beam or the entire flashlight?

D-Cell, C-Cell, or a mini-flashlight? LED?

I can't recall as I didn't take note but I'm sure it was Regulation compliant for such illegal activities.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:13 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
I have had my personal vehicle illegally searched more than 5 times that I can specifically recall. I have had my home broken into by LAPD. I mean no-knock, kick-the-door-down, don't-move, illegally searched. No warrant, nothing illegal found. The police state is here and has been here since the '60s. Don't let anyone fool you into believing otherwise.
Care to expand on your story a little bit? I'm curious about the circumstances.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
part of the problem is people blaming Obama and/or Bush. They're just doing what they're told, tbh.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:07 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I can't recall as I didn't take note but I'm sure it was Regulation compliant for such illegal activities.
Oh, it was probably one of the huge d-cell ones that they can also use as clubs.

I'm not getting turned on.... I'm not getting turned on.... I'm not getting turned on....

Old 07-10-2011, 01:24 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You are simply unaware of the government doing illegal searches. Which is typical of a person who defends authority.

It's not only that you don't care...that's a given.....It's that your are totally unware of it going on.

Inspector General report on FBI Patriot Act violations.

http://photos1.blogger.com/photoInclude/x/blogger/1794/1771/1600/186612/nsl3.jpg (broken link)

three more links here detailing illegal government abuse of citizens

//www.city-data.com/forum/19267173-post108.html
It is not that I don't care. I do care but life is about balance and right now with the terrorist, drug gangs and other such scum roaming the landscape I feel we must err more on the side of security. Maybe someday we won't have to feel that way and can ease up on security but now is not that time. Every person and every bag must and should be searched when getting on an airliner. And if the need exist to expand that to buses and trains to protect passengers then we need to do it. Security is not anything but a minor inconvenience to the lawful citizen. It is not whether or not we like it but whether or not we NEED it and that judgment is best left to the authorities, experts and courts to hash out. None of us civilians has the expertise to make these decisions. At some point we have to trust those we pay to protect us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies