Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

I just read that the university of Maiduguri, Nigeria, has been shut down for the time being because of all the Muslim terror in that northern city.

That's the kind of problem Ghana does not have to cope with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And like most "leftist" governments, every attempt at modernization was thwarted by western corporations, Britain, France and the U.S. which led to a CIA sponsored coup in 1966 which overthrew independence leader and leading Pan-Africanist Kwame NKrumah, which by the way was the prelude for a series of U.S. sponsored coups leading up to the military take over by Lt. Jerry Rawlings in 1981.
Many of those African leftist were very undemocratic.

Even Ghana's first president Kwame Nkrumah became very authoritarian once he gained power. After independence he established Ghana as a one party state. He also put in place the Trade Union Act which banned strikes and put in place the Preventive Detention Act which made it easier for his gov't to jail those who disagreed with him and Nkrumah controlled Ghana's media.

Too many post colonial African leaders made the mistake of trying to copy the Soviet Union(and Castro) as a way of rejecting the capitalism and democracy they associated with their western European colonalist. They failed to see that capitalism and democracy didn't have to be tied to imperialism. Even Adam Smith was against colonialism.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Nice attempt to pour cold water, BUT, the current inflation rate is between 8.5% and 10.9%, depending on your source. Even take at the highest rate quoted that would be a drop of 43.5% since last year.

Bank of Ghana

Ghana Central Bank Cuts Key Interest Rate by Half-Point as Inflation Slows - Bloomberg

Ghana Inflation rate (consumer prices) - Economy
Their 2010 rate of inflation was 19%

Ghana Inflation rate (consumer prices) - Economy

Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 AM

Maybe it is a good place only for heterosexual businessmen. The government has called for the detention of homosexuals...
Ghana official calls for effort to 'round up' suspected gays - Africa, World - The Independent

Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Old article but good stuff. As a Ghanaian American I'm hoping for big things for Ghana.
Me too.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I spent time in Ghana a few years ago, and it's a country that has so much going for it; fantastic people, varied climate, natural resources, eco-tourism, and a burgeoning democratic tradition. While there were certainly problems I saw while I was there, and it was certainly not a developed economy, there's a lot of potential there. I'm glad to hear this news!
Ghanaians are beautiful people, both inside and out. I think that their natural grace and sophistication will be a great asset in their rise.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe it is a good place only for heterosexual businessmen. The government has called for the detention of homosexuals...
Ghana official calls for effort to 'round up' suspected gays - Africa, World - The Independent
Sloppy sensationalist reporting from Western sources. He is one official I doubt anything like that would happens. Ghanaians tend to be very tolerant, their view on homosexuality is closer to the majority of the planet. It's an act not an identity and men may engage in these acts but they better get married and have kids. After that is done you can do what you want discreetly.

They will never tolerate the gay parades and the like we see here nor should they.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Sloppy sensationalist reporting from Western sources. He is one official I doubt anything like that would happens. Ghanaians tend to be very tolerant, their view on homosexuality is closer to the majority of the planet. It's an act not an identity and men may engage in these acts but they better get married and have kids. After that is done you can do what you want discreetly.

They will never tolerate the gay parades and the like we see here nor should they.
I have never understood that African fixation on reproduction.
But regarding the tolerance, I hope you are right and they don't turn into some stupid copy of Iran...
The homophobic tendencies are certainly not an invention of sloppy western journalists.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:12 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:

It sounds like much of Ghana is still stuck in caveman days, and goes along with the rest of Africa's dismal human rights record.

Homosexuality is sickness -Pastor | Religion 2011-07-22

I encourage all Ghanaians as well as friends of Ghana to put preventive
measures to eradicate this deadly disease called homosexuality but not to allowit to spread throughout the country. Therefore, it is incumbent on the
government, churches, schools, cultural groups, and every institution in Ghanato rise up to educate our people of the dangers of homosexuality. Those who are practicing it must be sent for counseling and treatment. Those who are bringing this atrocious disease must be deported because these people want to wipe out
the people of Ghana so that their agents will take over our dear land
Ghana without anyone here to put out resistance against their aggression.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:

I honestly don't have a dog in this fight, but what you describe hardly qualifies as tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies