Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Look..I don't care if our unemployment is 20%...they can keep their frozen tundra of a country they call Canada.
No one's asked you to take it from us have they? Thanks for your permission to keep it though.

As far as a viable military was concerned. Canada was perfectly willing to abdicate that responsibility for years but I've come to understand why now.

In concert with our assigned NATO role being one of anti-submarine warfare (no attacks on our shores since WWII) and the ever increasing display of dissfunction occurring with the U.N. allowing failed states to become voting members, it is my belief we threw our hands in the air and said why bother, there's a bellicose neighbour to the south calling all the shots anyway and forcing the rest of the world into compliance with their foolish foreign policy that is starting more conflicts than they are ending.

We don't need a military to keep assisting in putting out the fires your failed foreign policy starts in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
No one's asked you to take it from us have they? Thanks for your permission to keep it though.

As far as a viable military was concerned. Canada was perfectly willing to abdicate that responsibility for years but I've come to understand why now.

In concert with our assigned NATO role being one of anti-submarine warfare (no attacks on our shores since WWII) and the ever increasing display of dissfunction occurring with the U.N. allowing failed states to become voting members, it is my belief we threw our hands in the air and said why bother, there's a bellicose neighbour to the south calling all the shots anyway and forcing the rest of the world into compliance with their foolish foreign policy that is starting more conflicts than they are ending.

We don't need a military to keep assisting in putting out the fires your failed foreign policy starts in the first place.
Unless they knew the economy was going to fail for over 100 years.

If they knew that, they would start foreign conquest for more and more resources.

If they knew that, they might build up the military so large that even if they do collapse they could implement a draft and police most of the rest of the world. It would take military spending to the tune of $1 for the U.S. in defense spending and $1 for the rest of the world in defense spending per year. Of course I'm not sure the people would have it in them to defend themselves if they could stay alive on their knees.

If they knew that, they would still keep strategic missiles all over the planet when really only one well placed one could send the planet back in to the bronze age.

If they knew that, they'd have to keep that knowledge as far out of the hands of the people as possible. They might want to start something like a two party system that just bickers back and forth while the country literally moves in the same direction no matter who's in charge.

If they knew that, they'd know the entire planet would be relying on them and if their system actually did collapse, then so would the rest of the world (as long as they continue to rely on them). If those countries ever stopped relying on those people it would make that host country very nervous.

It wouldn't matter anyways because if that happened the entire thing would collapse including the $650 trillion derivatives market (there's only $76 trillion world wide for GDP). No one would be left standing and the host country with the biggest military would garner as many allies as possible and probably take over the world with its 100's of tentacles know as military bases.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Makes one want to become a Canadian, now doesn't it..... Its not all frozen tundra as some right wing nuts proclaim.
It really isn't. I'm a Canadian citizen (though I've never lived there), can't say I have much Canadian pride although I do like to see them compete in the Olympics. But it's a very nice country. Toronto is a cool city, Quebec is weird in a fun way and has beautiful national parks. It really is not all that different from the US. The most Eastern and Western parts (not including Quebec and the provinces East of it) are kinda like the East and West coasts of the US. More liberal-minded, bigger cities, denser populations. The provinces in-between are much like the American midwest, plains states and mountain states. More conservative, less dense, lots of farmland and natural resources. Even... brace for it... gun owners!

Really isn't a bad place to live at all. I like where I'm at though, I don't think I could handle the cold.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
My proposal is this. Three Canadian provinces, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta should band together with Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho and create a brand new country. Let's call it the federated cowboy states of America. Now this state would have so much oil, minerals, water, grains and cow poop that it would be the richest nation on earth by far. It would be so rich that no one would even have to work unless they wanted to. All the work would be done by "Guest workers" who could come to work but not to stay permanently. The benefits for the citizens of the country could be fantastic. Every family would recieve a new pickup truck every three years. Beer would cost a nominal $1 a case and every city with a population of over ten thousand would have a professional hockey team. The government would pay citizens by the hour to go hunting and fishing. Because of the humongous royalities recieved for all the resources there would be no taxes. The huge government budget surplusus would be shared out among the people so they could buy homes in the south when they old and cold. This new country would have zero immigration. Every family in the federation would be paid $100,000 a child produced to keep the cowboy tradition alive!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Do you think this might have something to do with it?

GHEI: Lessons from the Great White North - Washington Times

You seemed to have overlooked the fact that Canada's percentage of taxes to GDP is 7 points higher than ours, in otherwords even after these "Austerity" measures they still pay more taxes than we do...a great deal more.

You also seemed to have overlooked the fact that they also had tax increases at the same time, you also overlooked at the fact that hey too also passed a stimulus. The difference between their stimulus and ours was that the banks here still have the money, while in Canada it went into the economy.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:16 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
As our economy has long depended on natural resources, we have not been as squeamish about extracting and exploiting them as have our neighbors. Americans may imagine Canadians romping and canoeing our way across a pristine landscape, but we have not let the equivalent of an Environmental Protection Agency prevent us from making as much as we possibly can from the fact that we have far more oil than we need.
Whether itâ€s drilling off the coast of Newfoundland or exploiting the politically incorrect oil sands of Alberta, we are willing to go there. (The province of Alberta ranks second, after Saudi Arabia, in global crude oil reserves.) Canada supplies more oil to the United States than anybody else in the world. Americans can forget all that nonsense about supporting hostile regimes every time you rev up your engine.

What's the secret to Canada's miracle economy? - CSMonitor.com
That's only one half of the story. Cananda and Australia have benefitted tremendously from the emergence of China as an industrial super-power. China as created the DEMAND for natural resources in those countries. If or rather when the Chinese economy cools off if will have a corresponding affect on the Canadian economy.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:24 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
My proposal is this. Three Canadian provinces, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta should band together with Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho and create a brand new country. Let's call it the federated cowboy states of America. Now this state would have so much oil, minerals, water, grains and cow poop that it would be the richest nation on earth by far. It would be so rich that no one would even have to work unless they wanted to. All the work would be done by "Guest workers" who could come to work but not to stay permanently. The benefits for the citizens of the country could be fantastic. Every family would recieve a new pickup truck every three years. Beer would cost a nominal $1 a case and every city with a population of over ten thousand would have a professional hockey team. The government would pay citizens by the hour to go hunting and fishing. Because of the humongous royalities recieved for all the resources there would be no taxes. The huge government budget surplusus would be shared out among the people so they could buy homes in the south when they old and cold. This new country would have zero immigration. Every family in the federation would be paid $100,000 a child produced to keep the cowboy tradition alive!!!!!!!!!!
The biggest disadvantage is this particular nation WOULD HAVE NO SEA PORTS.

No nation on the planet has really come to prominence without access to sea ports.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Yeah. That is going to happen. Only one problem with your proposal. Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho are all in the United States...We are not giving them up. Now if the Canadian Provinces want to seperate from Canada and become U.S. states...Then we can talk.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:31 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The biggest disadvantage is this particular nation WOULD HAVE NO SEA PORTS.

No nation on the planet has really come to prominence without access to sea ports.
Well we could include both BC and Oregon and Washington in the federation but I don't know what we would have to do with all the Leftwingnuts there

Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Having a small population helps a lot.

Look at the two most populous countries on earth, India and China. They have huge problems with unemployment, poverty, and wealth inequality. It sucks that the US will probably be at 1 billion or more by 2075 & once we hit that point the country will truly become a 3rd world cesspool. The smaller the number of people you have competing for a finite amount of resources, the better.
This is why we need to put strict limits on immigration. I am not talking about just illegal immigration. Our government needs to stop handing out H1B Visas like they are candy. We also need to seal the Mexican border. This country can not afford to be the dumping ground for the world's poor when we can't even take care of our own poor. There are unemployed folks living in tents right now.

In Canada, they put a limit on immigration. You can't hardly get into the country without a degree and useful skills. I say we adopt Canada's immigration laws NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies