Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The man should get the death penalty plain and simple. In fact, I think lethal injection would be too nice for this man, send him in front of a firing squad.

I am also appalled at all the liberals on this board who are lumping ALL Christians in with this evil man.
All religious people are not created equally. It appears the ones we here most about are the ones that view any relgion to the extreme. And this can be any relgion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Being unified on one issue is not the equivalent of having "a set of established beliefs and values". Face it sir. Your persistence is admirable, but your reasoning skills are not.
How is it not? It's just a very small and less encompassing set of beliefs. It's the exact same concept.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
How is it not? It's just a very small and less encompassing set of beliefs. It's the exact same concept.
It's a single belief. There is no requisite for being an atheist besides disbelief in a god. That does not equate to sharing a set of established beliefs or values. That's a large leap you're making there.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
It's a single belief. There is no requisite for being an atheist besides disbelief in a god. That does not equate to sharing a set of established beliefs or values. That's a large leap you're making there.
There's a big difference between the two obviously, but the concept is the same. I could start a group that had one single belief and call it a "religion" if I wanted. I don't see how that would be different.

At what point does it become a religion? After 2 beliefs? 5 beliefs? 10 beliefs?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:43 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
There's a big difference between the two obviously, but the concept is the same. I could start a group that had one single belief and call it a "religion" if I wanted. I don't see how that would be different.

At what point does it become a religion? After 2 beliefs? 5 beliefs? 10 beliefs?
A belief and a common set of practices based around that belief.

Atheism does not fit that criteria, unless you count atheists within a certain philosophy. That leads you back to step one though, since atheists don't all share a common philosophy. There are many atheists who don't care or have never thought about philosophy at all.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
A belief and a common set of practices based around that belief.

Atheism does not fit that criteria, unless you count atheists within a certain philosophy. That leads you back to step one though, since atheists don't all share a common philosophy. There are many atheists who don't care or have never thought about philosophy at all.
They do share a common philosophy. The belief that there is no god. You have a point though, no common practices. So maybe it doesn't fit the dictionary definition of religion.

The point I was getting at is that stuff like this (to get back to the point of the thread) can occur based on any belief system. Take away all of the Christian "practices" and leave the "beliefs" (therefore by your definition declaring Christianity as not a religion) and this guy would still be a psychopath.

Any religion, belief, philosophy, group, or after school club can result in problems based on its ideology. Whether that ideology is technically a "religion" is irrelevant. That's all I'm trying to say.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:04 PM

19,824 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Again, I suspect this is less about religion and more about the fact that the boy was the only child in the group who was not fathered by this POS. What kind of sick mother watches and does nothing to save her child?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Religious Leader Shoots 4 Year Old Boy To Death Because He Might Be Gay | The New Civil Rights Movement

..more in the link.

So, I have to ask: How does this stuff ever happen? I never understood how people can kill in the name of religion, especially when they preach against that stuff.

Just don't get it at all. I guess this is what happens when people "PRAY" (aka talk to themselves) and are so delusional they hear "God" tell them to do these things.

Extreme religious beliefs are the mental disorder and it's a choice.
Religious or not this guy had a mental problem. He just used religion as his vehicle. Some perverts use politics.

So try the guy for murder but leave religion out of it. He probably has no idea what a religion is... or where to put the gas into it.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Religious or not this guy had a mental problem. He just used religion as his vehicle. Some perverts use politics.

So try the guy for murder but leave religion out of it. He probably has no idea what a religion is... or where to put the gas into it.
That would be fine, except this is seen time and time again (albeit not to point of death). We see it in legislation (the invocation of god in order to not allow homosexuals to marry). We see it at prom (lesbians and gays not allowed to bring their partner because it might offend some random person due to their religious belief). We see it at the hospital (people denied visitation rights because of religious beliefs). We see it in the workforce (homosexuals terminated on the grounds of 'yuck against my religion'). We see it in the locker room (homosexuals beaten up due to a culture that is rooted in religious ignorance of homosexuals).

So religion has something to do with it. It is permeated in our cultural psyche.

That is not to say that there are religious people who against such violence and legislation. Afterall, there are religious homosexuals. However, the type of religion and the beliefs that constitute the majority are not tolerant of homosexuals. In fact, the complete opposite.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:22 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The man should get the death penalty plain and simple. In fact, I think lethal injection would be too nice for this man, send him in front of a firing squad.

I am also appalled at all the liberals on this board who are lumping ALL Christians in with this evil man.
Are you cherry picking your Christians? Isn't that supposedly your god's job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies