Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:20 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
If you are of those who think taxes must be raised I invite you to educate us all as to why.

I am of the opinion we collect plenty of taxes in this country, even with half those who file a tax return paying nothing, to fund all that is necessary and our problem results from excessive spending. But you say we need to raise taxes so make your case. Convince us all.

You have the floor.
Because we hate anyone who makes a good living, and want to see them punished for being successful. It doesn't do anyone a damn bit of good, but it makes the poor feel like they're getting revenge.

Even obama admitted in one of the debates that raising the cap gains tax would not result in more revenue, but it still must be raised for purposes of "fairness".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,431 times
A progressive tax system is the basis of capitalism. That is theory and practice starting with Adam Smith. At this time, the tax pyramid is inverted: those who earn more pay a smaller percentage in net taxes than the middle class. With that type of tax structure you have only two results: a society like Myanamar or social revolution because the middle and lower earners can't meet their needs. Fairness and perception are vaild concerns.

What we have in essence in this nation is not an income tax, but a salary tax. A lot of income (ingoring wealth) for the very wealthy is tax sheltered or is taxed at a rate lower than that earned by workers. An example is capital gains. I am taxed at a lower level for my capital gains than my neighbors are for their income.

In addition tax cuts for the wealthy don't create jobs. We have been with the Bush tax cuts through his terms and now Obama's. There was significant less job creation under Bush after the cuts than under Clinton before the cuts.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
If they can't spend what they have wisely why would giving them more change the result? Guess I'm the liberal for a decrease in taxes...

Im also not a fan of the black op funds that get endless money and don't have to identify what it is going for. If you can't identify your budget...you don't need it.

Since Congress takes so much money on the side do we really need to pay them?
(actually I'm for paying them well and eliminating all the side influences so they can focus on whats best for the country not a special interest.)

instead of the military being such a huge employer I would rather we spent the money of developing clean energy for individual homes and elimination of dependence on foreign oil and the grid.

It isn't a need to tax more but better use the funds being acquired.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:50 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I was a proponent of a LARGE war tax on corporations that monetarily benefited when Bush Jr. took us into Iraq and Afghanistan - wars of choice. Now, of course, you can add
President Obama to that pathetic list: guilty of war mongering and spending our tax dollars on something useless.

We all know Halliburton, but the list is quite large:

The 25 Most Vicious Iraq War Profiteers | Business Pundit

Yep, I'm for taxing the HELL out of them, because obviously they are the immoral equivalent of ....
unjust war. See, it comes full circle - how nice
Need to add George Soros to the list of profiteers.

Soros buys Halliburton | FP Passport

Old 07-09-2011, 05:52 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
I think of tax increases this way:

Since the start of my career, I've had the pleasure of the "Bush Tax Cuts." I don't know what it was like when people were paying about 3% more. Rescinding those tax cuts would be hard for me to swallow since I've never known it any other way. For people older than I am, that 3% was a windfall. However, they got along fine without the tax cuts.

Those tax cuts have become the norm for us. Should they be? Does it make it right to keep them just because its been this way for a decade?

In my opinion, for every dollar they raise our taxes, they need to cut that same dollar from the budget. Take this supposed 4T spending cut over 10 years and pair it with 4T in tax increases of the same 10 years. Businesses and Americans made ends meet (and prospered) before these tax cuts. Why can't we do it now?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:52 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
A service economy depends on money being put into circulation.

However, in the past 3 years companies have decided to stop that cycle.

It was taken by companies, top executives, and banks. According to news sources, CEO pay went up an average of 23 percent in 2010, while wages for rest of us rose a meager one-half-percent, according to a new report prepared for the New York Times.

And how do they do this? A USA Today analysis of corporate filings through early July shows CEOs reaping huge 2011 payouts, largely due to stock option valuations up sharply from pre-recession levels.
If I'm not mistaken,

a lot of those stock gains are with federal/state employees and their pension investments E.g. Oil, Housing, etc..

This is not a middle class issue anymore IMO. It's a
government run vs. the rest who don't
profit via state/federal pension invested/against the best interest
of the rest of the country.....scenario.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:00 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I think of tax increases this way:

Since the start of my career, I've had the pleasure of the "Bush Tax Cuts." I don't know what it was like when people were paying about 3% more. Rescinding those tax cuts would be hard for me to swallow since I've never known it any other way. For people older than I am, that 3% was a windfall. However, they got along fine without the tax cuts.

Those tax cuts have become the norm for us. Should they be? Does it make it right to keep them just because its been this way for a decade?

In my opinion, for every dollar they raise our taxes, they need to cut that same dollar from the budget. Take this supposed 4T spending cut over 10 years and pair it with 4T in tax increases of the same 10 years. Businesses and Americans made ends meet (and prospered) before these tax cuts. Why can't we do it now?
I agree. I fully believe that *most* American's can absorb a tax increase, especially one as small as 3%. The only caveat are the working poor, of which I don't support raising taxes on.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:24 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If I'm not mistaken,

a lot of those stock gains are with federal/state employees and their pension investments E.g. Oil, Housing, etc..

This is not a middle class issue anymore IMO. It's a
government run vs. the rest who don't
profit via state/federal pension invested/against the best interest
of the rest of the country.....scenario.
Did you even read the OP's linked article?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Lightbulb Think we need to raise taxes?

Only if reducing the GOP-made deficit is at all important.

Who's done the spending?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:56 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Rescind Bush Tax cuts across the board, brings $4T in Revenue. Basically, erase what the Heritage Foundation told GW to do. How Congress would use it, may be a big problem

$4 trillion in revenue????????? How the heck did you figure that? If we took EVERYONE making over $250K per year and confiscated every penny that they make per year (make them slaves), it would raise $900 billion in extra revenue per year.

Given that slavery is currently illegal, and given the fact that enslaving the most productive citizens would result in zero tax revenue the following year, perhaps this is not the best strategy. Now where in the heck did you get the number $4trillion????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies