Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
That's why I just said we need to end the wars.
Good, I am happy to hear this. Most conservatives could not care less. They don't seem to get the concept of just how much all of this costs and that this money could be spent to take care of our own.

As you see above, I have shared a couple of links with you. One is of a guy who was successful and lost his job, his health insurance, and had a family and died as he could not afford treatment.

BTW, what conservatives spread - that no one can be turned away in an ER - this is true. However, this is true only to the extent they stabilize you. If something is wrong with you after this and you don't have insurance they do not have to treat you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Emotion is probably not the best basis on which to manage a world superpower. If I ran my business on emotion, I'd go broke in a month.
Newsflash, you can soon dismiss with that world superpower label, as it's going to belong to China. We are an Empire going down. We're broke and we're just going the way of other empires.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Let's see, when did we start nation building? Oh yeah, I think it was under the guy who said he'd do no nation building (that would be Bush 43). That, as I see it, has been our biggest downfall.
Nope.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:38 PM

So we put some bases in there and that constitutes nation building?

Do we have a gigantic embassy built there as we do in Iraq? Honestly, I don't know, but I doubt it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,476464,00.html

Quote:
After much delay the United States opened its new $700 million embassy in Iraq on Monday, inaugurating the largest — and most expensive — embassy ever built.
The 104-acre compound, bigger than the Vatican and about the size of 80 football fields, boasts 21 buildings, a commissary, cinema, retail and shopping areas, restaurants, schools, a fire station, power and water treatment plants, as well as telecommunications and wastewater treatment facilities.
The compound is six times larger than the United Nations compound in New York, and two-thirds the size of the National Mall in Washington.
Hmm, seems like we didn't plan on leaving...

Old 07-09-2011, 06:39 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Newsflash, you can soon dismiss with that world superpower label, as it's going to belong to China. We are an Empire going down. We're broke and we're just going the way of other empires.
And spending more money will fix that? If anything, this is the time we need to buckle down and stop being emotional if we're going to compete with a country like China.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Good, I am happy to hear this. Most conservatives could not care less. They don't seem to get the concept of just how much all of this costs and that this money could be spent to take care of our own.
Well most conservatives I've talked to agree with me.

Quote:
As you see above, I have shared a couple of links with you. One is of a guy who was successful and lost his job, his health insurance, and had a family and died as he could not afford treatment.

BTW, what conservatives spread - that no one can be turned away in an ER - this is true. However, this is true only to the extent they stabilize you. If something is wrong with you after this and you don't have insurance they do not have to treat you.
I'm not saying our health care system is perfect.

What I'm saying is that these emotional cards you play can only go so far. The world does not run on emotion and feelings.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
And spending more money will fix that? If anything, this is the time we need to buckle down and stop being emotional if we're going to compete with a country like China.
No, stopping outsourcing might help. We cannot compete with China when their people work seven days a week for a pittance.

If equilibrium is what is in store for us, expect a third world country soon.

This is not emotional. This is reality.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Well most conservatives I've talked to agree with me.

I'm not saying our health care system is perfect.

What I'm saying is that these emotional cards you play can only go so far. The world does not run on emotion and feelings.
My world runs on facts. I have provided several links which outline these facts.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
No, stopping outsourcing might help. We cannot compete with China when their people work seven days a week for a pittance.

If equilibrium is what is in store for us, expect a third world country soon.
Like I said I can agree on the outsourcing thing.

Quote:
This is not emotional. This is reality.
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about your emotional health care argument.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
My world runs on facts. I have provided several links which outline these facts.
No, those links were to individual stories posted to inflict an emotion. You're saying that I should support universal health care based on my feelings of empathy for those people.

I do feel bad for those people. But I'm not going to let emotion dictate my opinions. I'm not going to think about them, because it will get in the way of my logical thought process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies