Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,479,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
In response to the note: Meh, more teenage melodrama. That note could have been written by any teenager picked on for being too fat, too short, too tall, too ginger, etc. For wearing glasses, for having freckles, for being black, white, purple or green. Almost everyone has been picked on. I got it for being small (that changed) and for not fighting back (that changed one day too and that then-kid-now-an-adult is still keeping his teeth in a glass on the nightstand. I guess he feels abused too for what I did to him after he jumped me once too often.)

It's called growing up and learning how to deal with a cruel world. Most go through it in one form or another. Some are just less stable emotionally and tend to be the one the wolves bring down first. It doesn't make it right, but it's reality.

On the up side, teenage angst fuels a billion dollar industry devoted to producing sad songs about not being understood and lost loves.
You have NO clue...and it's not the same. OR did I miss the DADT and DOMA equivalents for redhair(which I have) and glasses(those too).

Never heard any religions vilifying those who wear glasses. You post has ZERO credibility!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So what message do we glean from the suicides of young heterosexuals? And how is it that the vast majority of gays actually live long happy lives with nary a thought of offing themselves?
I think there are people who are hyper sensitive, they feel every slight the world tosses at them, I was that way when I was younger. It takes maturity to be comfortable in your own skin and adopt a WTF and FU attitude and live your life the way you want to.

People should care less about what others think of them and their lifestyle and choices.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:36 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,842,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Who here is gay and was/is being bullied?

Even better, who here is a minority who is also gay and was/is being bullied?
So because a person isn't gay they cannot speak about how it feels to be bullied? Is gay bullying worse than bullying a "fat kid", a kid that is unattractive, or just bullying someone for the heck of it? Is society telling fat girls that they are ugly and need to lose weight, somehow "nicer" than society telling homosexuals that they are not normal and need to engage in straight activities?

Most people have been bullied. Have been mistreated.

I am a minority in many ways, and I have been mistreated based on that. Members of my family have as well--much worse than me in fact. But to say that this mistreatment/discrimination that led to this teen's suicide is society's fault isn't putting the "blame" in the right area. There are thousands of teens that commit suicide, not all of them are gay. The reasons for committing suicide vary.

This teens reason was because he was gay and felt unaccepted. Another teen's reason could be because he felt his life was horrible. Both situations are horrible. But every gay teen is not committing suicide, just as every teen that feels that their life is horrible is not committing suicide.

As I said before, in the past--minority groups that were oppressed, mistreated, and discriminated/bullied against, did they too kill themselves because of this? Or is suicide merely an action taken by those that are already severely depressed, and hopeless--no matter their sexuality, race, and so on.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:37 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,321,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The woman who jumped from my building left everyone on the side of the building she jumped from scarred including the poor parking attendant who saw her land below. I posted a thread on the mental health forum called "suicide jumper" if anyone is interested to read it the day it happened.

In the aftermath as I sit here today, I feel a bit more at peace because I learned of her background and life condition. It's still very sad, she was an absolutely beautiful woman physically and to see her you wouldn't think that her life had become so unmanageable to call 911, and take a running leap from a high rise building.

I just don't like people using different suicide scenarios to validate their personal political agendas because suicide is a very private choice that is sometimes exploited in a public way to sway opinion. And that should never ever happen.
I agree, it's the same for everyone who commites suicide, Homosexuals are no differant than the guy who does it because he thinks his co-workers are picking on him, it's a mental state of mind.
It's not really because someone is Bullying them it's because they don't know how to cope with it, we all get Bullied in life.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,396,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Let me remind you that your opinion is certainly not fact, either.
Everyone has an opinion, just like everyone else has something else.....unfortunately, the opinions of some seem to come from that something else.
Heres a thought, why dont you try to be the better person, and just not post if you dont like the subject, and the opinions?
I guarantee it will save you much grief.
To be clear.....I never targeted any poster individually as you have done. You have some gall to suggest that I not post. This is America. I will post as I please. You have the option of placing me on ignore if my posts annoy you. Peace be with you...and reason as well.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The children in this country have been made into complete and utter pansies anymore. Waaaa somebody called me a name. Waaaaa somebody didn't like my outfit. Waaaa somebody bullied me. Then they get sent of to shrinks who fill their heads full of complete and utter BS. They're kids they'll figure it out but no we got the "everybody must be equal" crowd pounding em all over the head. Leave em alone and they'll figure it out themselves. I used to be made fun of all the time for having red hair. Did I go kill myself? Cry to the teachers? Whine about being bullied? No I just handled it on my own accord. All whining and crying gets you is bullied more for being a whiner and crybaby. Thanks libs.
Your argument....I use the term loosely is ridiculous. I have red hair, glasses, short and small.....I'm a nerd...never bothered me one bit but being gay nearly drove me too to despair.

Your posts prove my point and why bullying etc. is rampant and frankly condoned.

And these are posts from supposed adults....no wonder kids bully more these days. Boy this country is finished.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 07-09-2011 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I agree, it's the same for everyone who commites suicide, Homosexuals are no differant than the guy who does it because he thinks his co-workers are picking on him, it's a mental state of mind.
It's not really because someone is Bullying them it's because they don't know how to cope with it, we all get Bullied in life.
Very true.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:47 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,272,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I disagree with you.
Good for you, that's your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
So because a person isn't gay they cannot speak about how it feels to be bullied? Is gay bullying worse than bullying a "fat kid", a kid that is unattractive, or just bullying someone for the heck of it? Is society telling fat girls that they are ugly and need to lose weight, somehow "nicer" than society telling homosexuals that they are not normal and need to engage in straight activities?

Most people have been bullied. Have been mistreated.

I am a minority in many ways, and I have been mistreated based on that. Members of my family have as well--much worse than me in fact. But to say that this mistreatment/discrimination that led to this teen's suicide is society's fault isn't putting the "blame" in the right area. There are thousands of teens that commit suicide, not all of them are gay. The reasons for committing suicide vary.

This teens reason was because he was gay and felt unaccepted. Another teen's reason could be because he felt his life was horrible. Both situations are horrible. But every gay teen is not committing suicide, just as every teen that feels that their life is horrible is not committing suicide.

As I said before, in the past--minority groups that were oppressed, mistreated, and discriminated/bullied against, did they too kill themselves because of this? Or is suicide merely an action taken by those that are already severely depressed, and hopeless--no matter their sexuality, race, and so on.
Excuse me, what did I post? Please tell me verbatim.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
There were a few teenagers when I was in HS that committed suicide--they were not gay either. The letters were very similar to the one this teenager wrote. Let's face it teenagers are morbid creatures. They are hormonal, delusional, and often times have a very short-sighted view of life(they believe that the temporary--HS--is forever and that life will be horrible forever). Once they grow up, this view minimizes. I know for me and several others it did. I was very demented in HS, went through bouts of severe depression, felt like crap about who I was, and felt like the world was against me. Now I look back at how crazy I was and laugh.
I feel very bad for this teen. I truly feel for anyone who feels the only way out is by suicide. But still I wonder if this is about homosexuality or moreso about a depressed teenager(which thesedays is far too common).
Either way I do have to agree that thesedays kids have no backbone. And this is not to poke fun of this situation, because it is horrible, but rather a way of examining the fact that society has a bred a generation of teenagers, and children that don't seem to be able to handle life--and everything that comes with it. The inability to handle "life" leads to what we are seeing now--the numerous amount of children and teens that are depressed, on anti-depressants, committing suicide, or engaging in destructive behavior. What's worse is that people are so sensitive these days that they are unable to handle even the "smallest" bumps in the road. I can't even count on both hands the number of stories I've read about teenagers, and children being bullied, and therefore resort to plastic surgery of some sort, suicide, moving to different schools, going on talk shows to lament about how horrible life is for them, going to counselors, having their parents fight their battles and so on. I say this not to make light of this situation, but as a way to say that this situation is far too common and IMO goes beyond sexuality.
I think most people in some shape or form have been bullied, teased, excluded, or felt as though people were against them. I don't think this is solely a "homosexual" thing. Still, I can see how the discrimination and feelings of being "abnormal" for being homosexual could lead one to feel very badly about their sexuality to the point of killing themselves.
NOONE said it's just a gay thing...HOWEVER that's what the thread is about.

Far Right wing and religious zealots in society and our government do NOT demonize redheads, heavy set folks, nerds, kids with glasses, etc.... but they DO DEMONIZE gay people and that's a FACT!.

People need to wake up and smell the coffee.

And yes I do agree kids are over protected and spoiled these days relative to my generation. But that hardly makes it right to further burden kids with anti-gay rhetoric. It is just a way for folks to clear their consciences but they will have to eventually answer for their actions.

What goes around comes around.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
It's one thing to not fit in...I'm small...short...wear glasses....never bothered me....but the gay thing did.

BUT when you are told you are evil by society, religion, our government etc....that additional pressure can push folks over the edge.

Your post's lack of empathy is frankly revolting and a prime example of what ails our modern society!
I really don't know anyone aside from Fred Phelps and his ilk who accuse homosexuals of being "evil". And frankely he annoys me so much that I've never been able to sit through a video to listen to his entire message. In college I just got past his spot on the sidewalk and on to class as fast as I could to get away from his group of freaks.

Pointing out an unacceptable behavior and unnatural behavior (reproductively speaking) is entirely different that labeling an individual as "evil". Of course, this is something the OP refuses to see or accept because it is easier to label anyone and everyone who isn't pro-gay marriage as a "homophobe".

Doing so removes all responsibility for choosing to engage in a behavior that most certainly has negative connotations and consequences to those of faith.

I feel sorry for the OP that he appears to be so bitter and angry that he feels a need to start thread after thread bashing anyone who does not support his agenda as a "homophobe". Not only is it tiresome but it alienates more than it promotes any opportunity to foster understanding or sympathy.

Lots of things drive a person to suicide. It is a selfish act and sad when that happens. A person chose to take his life so that he would not have to address his pain and conflict. That he was gay is just a footnote to what comprises the entire person. Or at least it should be just as it would be for someone committing suicide because they lost their job, or their spouse, or felt unloved, or whatever........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.