Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Unless my water bill was tied to theirs, no. (unless maybe there was a discount for my bill if I called and ratted them out)

They're paying for their bills and as long as my bill doesn't rise because of their behavior let them do as they want.
We have this situation. There are 3 other houses sharing our well. One newcomer had a new lawn planted, and I observed them watering day and night in the heat of the summer. They never seemed to turn the damn thing off, and temps were in the 90's, so much of it was being wasted. I was worried the pump would burn out, and that would be a horrendous cost, most of us could ill afford. We had a chat, they just weren't aware that living with a well is different and requires sharing responsibility.
So, yes, I would consider reporting someone, if circumstances warranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 04:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
One paragraph in this article about the water-starved town of Llano, Texas, got me thinking:

"We're just trying to get ahead of the curve, and ask people, 'Let's slow down on your water use,'" said John Kight, the vice-president of the groundwater district, adding: "You'd be surprised at the number of people who call in and say so and so is watering."

Would you do this? And, conversely, would you risk violating water restrictions yourself if you thought your neighbor might see and report you?

The reason I ask is because a friend in an HOA community (in a drought-stricken area) actually overheard one of the board members complaining about the possibility of losing his beautiful green grass and shrubs if water restrictions were imposed.

Kinda mind-boggling when the bigger issues are more important than your freaking LAWN.

Water-Starved Town May Face Draconian Restrictions — Water Supply | The Texas Tribune
It would have to be excessive and a horrible drout, but I could if necessary. Normally I don't get involved in these things. I saw normally, we have a neighbor (luckily we have several vacant lots and woods between their house and ours, but I have reported them a few times this year: so have others. We can't do anything about the way they keep thier yard, or the fact they are first rate slobs, but the city ordanence says no boats unless away from the street and covered. They don't think any rules apply to them, so yes, we have reported the boat violation.

Nita

Old 08-06-2011, 04:25 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
I think more people should have a cistern that collects gutter run-off (cisterns really are quite inexpensive and pumps are not that expensive either from alternative energy stores if you know how to price them out). ).

Careful there. Those are illegal in Colorado. They have ruled that the State owns all rain water, not the residents.

I guess it fits our nanny state trend. Ordinary people are not capable of using their rain water and must defer to the state.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,021 times
In Houston:

As a result of the double whammy of heat and drought, Mayor Annise Parker is expected to declare a Stage 2 water shortage requiring mandatory curbs on outdoor water use and the release of water from Lake Conroe to Lake Houston to raise levels there high enough to keep the city waterworks functioning.

...As for citizens reporting violations, mayoral press secretary Jessica Michan says, "We don't want to pit neighbor against neighbor." She suggests residents caution those they see breaking the rules that restrictions are in effect and they run the risk of fines.

And I'm sure the violators will be thankful and humble to have their civic shortcomings pointed out to them.

The big dry: Barring a wet miracle, we're facing water-use restrictions this week | Editorial | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Not this Northerner.

I love it when we have dry spells and the grass turns brown......I don't have to mow!

When the rain does come.....the grass turns green again.

BTW.....I have a well and all of the free water I want......doesn't mean I waste it willy nilly.
I wish I did not have to mow. I specifically did not plant a lawn because I hate mowing. Grass, during the summer in Alaska, will grow an inch per day. However, other vegetation grows even faster under a 20+ hour sun.

Instead of having an overgrown yard of grass, I have a overgrown yard full of alder, fireweed, and other native plants.

As far as turning in my neighbor, there is no need. We have our own wells and do not have to pay anyone for water.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,748 times
I would turn him/her without a second thought.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A few years ago we had watering restrictions, and some of our neighbors did not obey the rule. I did not turn anyone in.
Same here. But I understand why people do, it's just so freaking rude of people to waste a scarce resource on the lawn.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Same here. But I understand why people do, it's just so freaking rude of people to waste a scarce resource on the lawn.
Here is a thought - Why not live someplace where water is not scarce?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies