Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Right in my podunk town. Luckily no one is hurt too bad: Car strikes business Friday afternoon - Murray Ledger & Times: News

I'm sorry, but NO 92 y/o should be driving. NONE! Every driver over the age of 70 should be tested at least every other year until age 90. At 90, you get your license revoked. This is hardly an isolated incident.
You young whippersnapper you!!!!

Where's my cane dadnabit!!!

You better start running before I work up some speed on this walker!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 03:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
According to the news the last WW2 veteran died a couple of months ago, 6 or 7 years ago, still celebrating birthdays.

People in our country shouldn't be judged by age or what war they were in.

Ability should be the potential goal.

Else we end up with a president who is very poor at doing anything.

We'd be much better off if poor people weren't permitted to vote and the wealthy weren't permitted to hold office.
what, I know several people around here that were in WW2. Many are in their mid to upper 80s.

NIta

Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Where I live, it's pretty rare that it's someone over 90 plowing into anything, it's the under 30 crowd that does the most plowing into. Maybe we should make all under 30 take a bus.
Stories of out-of-control grannies are rare which is why they're sensationalized in the media.

Dangerous teenage/male drivers are so common that it no longer merits comment or notice.

Percentage of Fatal crashes: 70% teenagers, 22% elderly.

However, as the baby boomers age past 65 and outnumber younger drivers on the road the threat of older drivers may get worse in the next several years.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The problem where I live is that there is not a good public transportation option for seniors. So many are forced to drive when, probably, they should not.
This is the problem in many places.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:17 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
Hate to totally let the cat out of the bag, but all of us will be old one day. Will you want your right to drive taken away from you because of your age? .
And when I am, I hope I have the common sense to hang up my license when I shouldn't be driving anymore rather then hanging onto ego demanding that it's MY right to continue driving...even after I've driven through one storefront after another, killing innocent people in the process.

Driving isn't a "right" it's a privelege.

And nothing is worse then being in a hurry to get somewhere and being stuck behind a couple of Q-Tips who flat-out REFUSE to pull over and let the lone line that's accumulated behind them pass.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Right in my podunk town. Luckily no one is hurt too bad: Car strikes business Friday afternoon - Murray Ledger & Times: News

I'm sorry, but NO 92 y/o should be driving. NONE! Every driver over the age of 70 should be tested at least every other year until age 90. At 90, you get your license revoked. This is hardly an isolated incident.
I agree with you wholeheartedly!

The people who object are concerned ONLY with "their RIGHT to drive," come Hell or Highwater!!!!!!!!!!!! Safety be damned. Other people be damned! They MUST DRIVE UNTIL THEY DIE OR KILL SOMEONE ELSE!

How utterly selfish can you get?

Yes, most of us will get old but hopefully most will have THE SENSE to stop driving when necessary. Make arrangements with someone, take the bus, walk, skate, roll, but don't drive past your expiration date.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
BTW, not for nothing, but have you ever noticed most old people drive either a Crown Vic or a Mercury Grand Marquis?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
I don't want to sound like a Volvo salesman, but I'll say it again: City Safety! And this news just came out yesterday - it works:

High-tech system on Volvos is preventing crashes

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 07-20-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Driving isn't a "right" it's a privelege.
Is it? I realize that is the indoctrination government wants people to believe, but lets examine this so-called "privilege."

First, one needs a vehicle in order to drive. Does the government own the vehicle or do you? Who pays for the vehicle? Who pays for the registration and licensing of these vehicles? Who pays for the driver's license to operate these vehicles?

Second, while it is not strictly a necessity, one has paved roads on which to drive these vehicles. Who pays for these paved roads? Who pays to maintain these paved roads?

Third, one has to have fuel in order to operate these vehicles. Who pays for that fuel?

Where exactly does this government bestowed "privilege" come into the picture? Are we not paying for everything as vehicle operators? In order to be a government bestowed "privilege" it requires the government to give us something that we would not be able to obtain without government. Such as Habeas Corpus, which IS a government bestowed privilege. What exactly is the government giving us that we could not obtain without government?

Driving is a government bestowed "privilege" like riding a horse during the 19th century was a government bestowed "privilege." Which is obviously not the case. You have been indoctrinated into believing what the government wants you to believe, which has nothing to do with reality.

That does not mean the government cannot prevent people from driving. No freedom is absolute. Those who abuse their freedoms lose them. Just as it is illegal to defame someone's character, or incite people to violence, despite the First Amendment right to free speech, it is illegal to drive under the influence, drive recklessly, etc., but that does not make it any less of a freedom.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:48 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
Giving up a valid drivers license is a hard decision at any age. I'm only 56 but only have 20-70 vision even with a $850 pair of glasses. I quit driving when I had trouble seeing directional arrow traffic signals and was having trouble at night with oncoming traffic headlighs and was unable to see pedestrians in dark clothing. In my state 20-70 vision is considered good enough for a license good for at least 5 years. Now I am spending about $180 a week to get to things like dialysis and rely on Peapod for shopping. Now I am relatively well off so paying at least 15 dollars a trip is no problem but their are plenty of people who can't swing such expenses. So my question is what alternatives do such people have? I live in an area with the nations best mass transit (just outside the DC Beltway) but my mom and sister live only 50 miles outside of Philadelphia but they have only the rudiments of mass transit and poor bus service. What should they do when in a few years mom hits the big 8-0?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies