Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I am reminded of his legacy every time I look at the national debt clock.
Right. Because the debt limit wasn't raised at all before the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know what "celebrate" means. Like a party? With booze?
Yeah...a BBQ!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I think the OP wants a national holiday, you know, like President's Day or MLK Day.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think the OP wants a national holiday, you know, like President's Day or MLK Day.
No, I'll pass.

I look up to his leadership skills, his understanding of people and how they work, his (actual) liberal policies, his ability to write a speech, etc.

I'm done there though.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:24 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
"Reagan's legacy: How to remember and celebrate it?"

Start making long lists of people that should be arrested for anti-American opinions and sent to to some commie country.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No thanks then. If any president deserves a birthday it's Washington and Lincoln. Reagan doesn't even come close to that. I actually don't feel that comfortable celebrating the birthdays of individual presidents anyway. There's something un-republican (small r) about it.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Thank you for the link. Yes, it does seem that people in Eastern Europe admire and remember President Reagan in a way we really don't. After all if not for him and Leach Walensa, they would probably still be under the iron fist of Communism. With the Centennial coming up I think it would be really nice if all of us could just say THANK YOU in a big way to him and to his living family.
Some do, some don't.
A mass in Poland, geez, big honor.
The statue in London? Paid for by a private group. The space was donated by the country, but to only have Margaret Thatcher present... great honor? Hmmm, I was in London on the 4th and it didn't get much press.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:05 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I do not like to see people suffering and President Reagan did not either. He cared about the country and the people too much for that. But a free economy and a free people have always suffered economic jolts and changes. And the country has always been better off for it in the end. I am sure that when Edison invented electricity there were many people that worked in the gas lamp business that were hurt badly. After the automobile was produced in mass by Henry Ford, I am sure many Blacksmiths and Farriers were badly hurt. Nobody likes to see hard working people suffer. And we have cushions now like unemployment insurance that those people did not get. Economic pain is the same as growing pain or birth pain. It hurts like hell for a time but we as a people always come out of it better off. So that brings me back to the question at hand. If you are unemployed in a state with very high unemployment like here in NV which has the highest unemployment in the world, are you going to stay here and compete with 10 other people for each job or move to a state with very low unemployment where you are only competing with 2 other people for the same job? That is the only advice Reagan was giving. And he was right.
I lived through that period of time and my experience does not agree with your comments.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Reagan administration scandals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do I have to celebrate the failed trickle-down?

Legacy:
Iran-Contra...
The S&L Crisis - see Neil Bush (Savings and loan crisis in which 747 institutions failed and had to be rescued with $160 billion of taxpayer monies) ...

And so many more that people don't want to remember.
and who do you think went after those failed S&Ls to shut them down? Shall we also question how the mess started in the first place or what the interest rates were when he became Pres?

NIta.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If you understood all the other policies underway you wouldn't be as worried about it. I can assure you though that Reagan felt that the "saddest day of my presidency, the saddest day of my life."

Panelists Review Ronald Reagan's Time In Politics : NPR
I agree. I watched as President Reagan wept at the bedside of a Marine on death's doorstep who got up the strength to look at President Reagan and whisper "semper fi" to him. President Reagan was a caring and compassionate human being. He went to visited every injured soldier from the Marine barrack bombing. He visited the families of the dead- even the ones who were not with him politically. You could see the love he had for those boys. Unlike other Presidents, he did not hide in the White House and sign letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies