U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:03 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,782,841 times

Advertisements

I think we need to find some way of honoring President Reagan. As time goes by it seems that more and more we are forgetting this great President and great American who did so much for all of us. I would argue that he was the best President in modern times and the 3rd best ever with only Washington and Lincoln being ahead. I really would like for the country to find a way to remember him. I am not really much on holidays because I think they are just a way to give lazy people an excuse to be lazy people. Especially government employees. But I think we need to come up with some way of celebrating this man and his life maybe on his birthday of Feb 6. Anybody with any ideas? I came up with an idea for all the major TV networks to set aside that day for a combination Reagan remembrance and an Alzheimer telethon. Even just a few hours for people to remember him and donate to this cause would be nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 04:36 PM

24,630 posts, read 26,816,148 times
Reagan administration scandals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do I have to celebrate the failed trickle-down?

Legacy:
Iran-Contra...
The S&L Crisis - see Neil Bush (Savings and loan crisis in which 747 institutions failed and had to be rescued with $160 billion of taxpayer monies) ...

And so many more that people don't want to remember.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:43 PM

29,740 posts, read 37,436,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I think we need to find some way of honoring President Reagan. As time goes by it seems that more and more we are forgetting this great President and great American who did so much for all of us. I would argue that he was the best President in modern times and the 3rd best ever with only Washington and Lincoln being ahead. I really would like for the country to find a way to remember him. I am not really much on holidays because I think they are just a way to give lazy people an excuse to be lazy people. Especially government employees. But I think we need to come up with some way of celebrating this man and his life maybe on his birthday of Feb 6. Anybody with any ideas? I came up with an idea for all the major TV networks to set aside that day for a combination Reagan remembrance and an Alzheimer telethon. Even just a few hours for people to remember him and donate to this cause would be nice.
The Ronald Reagan Centennial Celebration | Home

Quote:
Németh says Reagan is admired across Eastern Europe because he told the truth about the oppression of communism and stood up to the Soviet Union despite its nuclear arsenal, hastening its demise. Inspired by Reagan, Németh in 1988 helped found FIDESZ, the Alliance of Young Democrats, now the country's ruling party.
"This opposition was fueled by the fact that in the West, there was truth, political leaders who don't compromise and turn upside down what was true," Németh said in an interview. "Reagan was that type of politician."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...birthday_n.htm

Old 07-10-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Reagan administration scandals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do I have to celebrate the failed trickle-down?

Legacy:
Iran-Contra...
The S&L Crisis - see Neil Bush (Savings and loan crisis in which 747 institutions failed and had to be rescued with $160 billion of taxpayer monies) ...

And so many more that people don't want to remember.
That 1% is really bothering you isn't it?

Old 07-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
After the declaration of martial law in December 1981, President Reagan supported the Polish cause. In June 1982, he had an audience with Pope John Paul II devoted to Poland and the Soviet domination in Europe. Some historians later described the contacts between the two men as ‘one of the great secret alliances of our time’.
During a visit to the United States in 2007, the late Polish President Lech Kaczyński presented to Nancy Reagan the Order of the White Eagle as a posthumous homage to Ronald Reagan from the Polish nation.
Mass in memory of President Reagan - Thenews.pl :: News from Poland

Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,027,335 times
I don't see what there is to celebrate about
Iran-contra
Essentially created the taliban
Raised taxes more than any president in the history of the nation
Granted full blown blanket amnesty to illegals
The finical disaster of "trickle down" economics
The complete failure of the war on drugs
and otherwise kicked off the country down the road into corporatist fascism.

Most right wingers must be obsessed with Reagan mainly because that's just what they're "suppose" to do (must be in the "how to be a republican" handbook)

Last edited by TempesT68; 07-10-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 05:06 PM

8,267 posts, read 12,156,757 times
He also "eliminated" inflation... actually he removed all we count towards it... food and gas so the numbers wouldn't be negative... I feel so good when I fill the car up knowing inflation isn't high and the 25 cent increase in cost/ gallon is only an illusion

He also increased the deficit from under 1T to over 3T which was a staggering increase.

He failed to acknowledge AIDS and it exploded... but we did save the legionaires.

He did mix a mean glass of kool-aid though, like no other.... maybe that's the way to honor him... name a kool-aid flavor after him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I don't see what there is to celebrate about
Iran-contra
Essentially created the taliban
Raised taxes more than any president in the history of the nation
Granted full blown blanket amnesty to illegals
The finical disaster of "trickle down" economics
and otherwise kicked off the country down the road into corporatist fascism.

Most right wingers are obsessed with Reagan mainly because that's just what their "suppose" to do (must be in the "how to be a republican" handbook)

Old 07-10-2011, 05:13 PM

90,373 posts, read 112,943,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I think we need to find some way of honoring President Reagan. As time goes by it seems that more and more we are forgetting this great President and great American who did so much for all of us. I would argue that he was the best President in modern times and the 3rd best ever with only Washington and Lincoln being ahead.

GAG!

I really would like for the country to find a way to remember him. I am not really much on holidays because I think they are just a way to give lazy people an excuse to be lazy people. Especially government employees. But I think we need to come up with some way of celebrating this man and his life maybe on his birthday of Feb 6. Anybody with any ideas? I came up with an idea for all the major TV networks to set aside that day for a combination Reagan remembrance and an Alzheimer telethon. Even just a few hours for people to remember him and donate to this cause would be nice.
Ask the people of Pittsburgh and the rest of the rust belt what Reagan did for them. He told them to "vote with your feet" and leave when the steel industry collapsed. Now a lot of them did do just that, sometimes into no better a situation than the one they left in Pittsburgh, but what compassion for hungry, out of work people, not!

Old 07-10-2011, 05:13 PM

38,511 posts, read 23,816,566 times
How about by having Arizona celebrate Reagan granting amnesty to certain seasonal agricultural illegal immigrants.
as well as granting amnesty to illegal immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982 and had resided there continuously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigra...ontrol_Act_of_

Old 07-10-2011, 05:14 PM

38,511 posts, read 23,816,566 times
Reagan's legacy: How to remember and celebrate it?

By making a donation to the Alzheimer's foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies