Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Actually yes, I was going to bring this up in my last post - the religious right and the nanny state left have quite a bit in common. They both shove their beliefs down other's throats.
I don't care for the nanny state myself, but the difference between nanny state and religion is that you can PROVE reasons for the nanny state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 03:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
what about cops and videotaping as well.

what about checkpoints for dui/seatbelt.

what about not being allowed to plant a garden in your front yard.

nanny state is everywhere and not a republican/dem lib/conservative mindset.

the same liberals who dont want you to eat salt are the same conservatives who want to ban types of music or wearing clothes a certain way.
Religious right, like I said before. They are a shrinking portion of the conservative base. Fiscal conservatives and libertarians, a large portion of the right wing, are anti-statist. I couldn't say the same about the left wing of the 21st century.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:51 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
Maybe is because religion and conservative are extremely close-minded
What's so closeminded about conservatism?

Ron Paul: "We should end the IRS"

Liberal: "RACIST!"

Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't care for the nanny state myself, but the difference between nanny state and religion is that you can PROVE reasons for the nanny state.
That's not the point. You can not prove why the state should limit my freedoms, period.

For example, you can prove that fast food is bad for you, however you can not prove that it is in my best interests to not eat it. Maybe I would be a happier person being fat and unhealthy. Not likely but who is the state to make that decision?

That's the problem with any kind of nanny-state. You can "prove" what's good and what's bad, but at the end of the day "good" and "bad" is only defined by your personal opinion.

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

your making things up again

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think liberals are genuinely more open to new ways to construct society to get closer to our ideals. They are not slaves to tradition, if that tradition is bad. That is not to say that hyperpartisan liberals are open-minded about how to live life. The "politically correct" folks are slaves in the same way as religious. We see the same self-righteousness emerging the further we get from the center on either side.
Oh yeah? Talk about changing SS or Medicare and liberals are the most reactionary folks in the room.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:55 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Because they're dictators.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:57 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I have respect for classic liberalism. Without classical liberalism we wouldn't have ended the "tradition" of institutionalized racism, etc.

The thing I don't like is what "the left" has become today (political correctness, nanny state tendencies, etc). It strikes me as the exact opposite of what liberalism really means.
Liberalism has been hijacked by Progressivism, which teeters on Fascism.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:07 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
your making things up again
You're incorrectly using contractions again.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:17 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

No, you are making things up. People call Ron Paul racist for saying stuff like "But I wouldn't vote against getting rid of the Jim Crow laws," or for having articles like "The Coming Race War" published in the Ron Paul Political Report. Or perhaps I'm wrong. Please show me an instance of someone calling Ron Paul a racist for his desire to end the IRS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies