Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No, the Latin "homo" is not used as a prefix, only the greek is. They are 2 entirely different words and meanings.

Homogeneous means "of the same kind." It does not mean "human kind".
But why would Homos(Greek) be used as the prefix to a Latin word?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Not necessarily. Some individuals can be carriers and not actually show symptoms of the disease itself or be aware they have it.
Yes, that's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Are we supposed to have sympathy for those who willingly contract a disease through their own foolishness?
I don't.

I've never used a condom and never will, mainly because I can't. I don't know whether its physiological or psychological or a combination, but I've never had a problem.

Of course, I don't do one-night stands and I'm very choosy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Do you honestly think the vast majority of teenagers and 20-somethings are going to follow that advice?
They would if it was explained to them properly, and if they would stop getting mixed messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's natural for humans to have sex, and especially for the young and curious to experiment with sex. So how is this a case of natural selection?
I think his reasoning is that:

1) Promiscuity leads to infertility;

2) Infertility leads to no off-spring;

3) Therefore those genes are not passed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
"superbugs" are created through the overuse of antibiotics, they have nothing to do with promiscuity or homo or hetero sex practices.
That's only partly true.

The so-called "super-bugs" exist in part because such organisms have rapid reproductive rates are and are subject to chromosomal changes.

Natural Background Radiation is what causes evolution, and a single-celled organism is much more greatly affected than a human by NBR. A single-celled organism effectively passes itself off to its off-spring, whereas a human only passes its reproductive cells. Because single-celled organism often reproduce daily, or even hourly, the odds that a beneficial mutation will occur are extremely high.

It's also true that some organisms have a natural resistance, just like some humans have a natural resistance to some or perhaps even all bacterial or viral infections. Nostradamus was a doctor and like many in his time, he worked treating Plague victims and was around them constantly, but never got the Plague. Unfortunately for him, his first wife and child died of Plague.

An organism that was naturally resistant to penicillin or other antibiotics would survive to pass those traits on to its off-spring, simply by cell-division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies