Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I guess swans and dolphins are just being stupid. They should **** around just like we "evolved" humans do.
LOL - they do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Not sure about that (most).

I think people are getting stuck on the minority cases. Most times women know they have it and indicate it on their online dating profile or when they begin dating someone. 3 women I've dated have told me straight up, so obviously it's known by some.
Again, most people with herpes are asymptomatic - (they do have "breakouts", but they're so small as to be completely unnoticeable). However, these people can transmit it to others. It's very unlikely somebody with herpes but asymptomatic would be diagnosed either. It takes a special, and somewhat expensive, blood test.

And again, most people who do have routine herpes outbreaks (cold sores on their lips) are uneducated and don't realize they have a sexually transmitted disease.

And herpes can grow anywhere. I have a friend who breaks out with herpes on his fingers (he contracted it fingering a girlfriend who didn't realize she had it). Speaking of herpes on fingers, historically dentists have had a very high incident of herpes, and usually on their hands (they didn't routinely wear gloves until the last few decades). Dentists use to be one of the biggest spreaders of oral herpes.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
LOL - they do!
I stand corrected (on the dolphin part). Dolphins have sex purely for pleasure, confused it with monogamous. Swans are monogamous I believe.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Again, most people with herpes are asymptomatic - (they do have "breakouts", but they're so small as to be completely unnoticeable). However, these people can transmit it to others. It's very unlikely somebody with herpes but asymptomatic would be diagnosed either. It takes a special, and somewhat expensive, blood test.

And again, most people who do have routine herpes outbreaks (cold sores on their lips) are uneducated and don't realize they have a sexually transmitted disease.

And herpes can grow anywhere. I have a friend who breaks out with herpes on his fingers (he contracted it fingering a girlfriend who didn't realize she had it). Speaking of herpes on fingers, historically dentists have had a very high incident of herpes, and usually on their hands (they didn't routinely wear gloves until the last few decades). Dentists use to be one of the biggest spreaders of oral herpes.
Maybe it's because the girls I've dated were intelligent and not uneducated, and that is how they were able to sound off the herpes alarm. We remain good friends though, just wasn't interested in dating them as a result of their condition.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
No, and that is why they'll be unable to procreate. Reduces the amount of offspring progressive minded people have the potential of carrying though.
I'm sure you've seen the opening scene in the movie Idiocracy...

The more intelligent you are, the more likely you are to put off having kids. Oh, and 'conservative' people are just as likely to contract an STD than 'progressive' people..in fact, they may be more likely to contract one since they don't teach safe sex practices to their kids. There was a Gonnorhea outbreak at a local private Christian school when I was in High School... weird how that happens.

I wonder if there's a study on this?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's because the girls I've dated were intelligent and not uneducated, and that is how they were able to sound off the herpes alarm. We remain good friends though, just wasn't interested in dating them as a result of their condition.
Education certainly is a key - that and being open and honest with potential partners. And I don't want to delve into your sexual history, but if you've had sex with more than 5 people (especially without a condom), the likelihood is that you have either HSV-1 or HSV-2, even if you've never shown symptoms.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

The more intelligent you are, the more likely you are to put off having kids. Oh, and 'conservative' people are just as likely to contract an STD than 'progressive' people..in fact, they may be more likely to contract one since they don't teach safe sex practices to their kids. There was a Gonnorhea outbreak at a local private Christian school when I was in High School... weird how that happens.
Good point on the association between conservatism and safe sex, that probably does bring down the odds. However, since conservatives start having kids earlier, they generally outbreed progressives. The problem of progressives breeding later in life is compounded by the higher probability that they'll have a higher tally of partners, and thus contract a disease causing direct or indirect infertility. They also engage in more FWB, NSA, and polygamous type relationships (mmf, mff, etc). White progressive women are also more likely to engage in interracial relationships as casual dating, and STD rates (including non-HIV related) are much much higher in the minority male population. It's a toxic cocktail of reduced birth rates among members of that political ideology.

I think the numbers do not favor them.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:14 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You fail to understand b/c you don't know biology.
Of course,that must be it....

Quote:
It's about maximum genetic variation. Pair bonding has nothing to do with it. Most animals that pair bond only do so for their mating season.

Reproduction is the most basic goal for all species of life.
Ummm,you might want to reread what you wrote.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I stand corrected (on the dolphin part). Dolphins have sex purely for pleasure, confused it with monogamous. Swans are monogamous I believe.
Most birds species do exhibit monogamy. Birds also exhibit the highest rates of homosexuality in the animal kingdom (and by that I mean monogamous, homosexual pairings).

Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Most birds species do exhibit monogamy. Birds also exhibit the highest rates of homosexuality in the animal kingdom (and by that I mean monogamous, homosexual pairings).
Birds can't be homosexual.

No animal except human can be homosexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies