Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,506,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We have no problem allowing the growth, sale, and taxation of tobacco, good, bad, or indifferent. Why should marijuana be any different?
Because people may abandon tobacco and turn to marijuana. The same could happen to alcohol. If you ran a tobacco or alcohol company, could you in your right mind be for legalizing marijuana? And probably the drug companies are worried that the medical claims for marijuana may not be a scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The government believes marijuana used in its raw form is nothing but a scam. Most likely a lie, too.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Get over myself???? Huh.. This isn't about me.

Yes, alchohol is legal but two wrongs don't make a right. By your logic, why not make herion legal? Or Meth? Think of all the cottage industry with meth labs in people's houses legal now. People could make all kinds of money. And kids, who cares if they're subjected to high parents and easy access to drugs. All that matters is having the legal right to get high....GET OVER YOURSELF! Your percieved right to get high does not override the rights of society. You don't need to get high. You don't need to drink either but having one legal drug doesn't mean we should legalize them all.

Pot is a serious issue because anyone can grow it. How do you keep a 13 year old from buying pot when it's legal to grow it in your back yard? We have enough problems with teens and drugs without making pot legal and why does it need to be legal? Do people really NEED to get high? What purpose does that serve for society? What is wrong with people that they fight this hard for the right to get high? We should be fighting for things that improve life not checking out by using drugs.

I see no benefit in making pot legal. I see a lot of risk of easy access if we do. Alcohol is bad enough. We don't need to add pot to the list.
So what you are left with is trying to defend the failed government policy of drug prohibition, which has failed our kids so bad. When they buy drugs from an underground drug pusher, they don't get asked to show IDs. So how would things get worse for kids, if they were finally asked to first show an ID before being allowed to buy marijuana? Responsible parents would keep their kids away from marijuana.

God forbid if you think I'm doing criminal wrong against society should I choose to get high by breathing as hard and fast as I can for 30 seconds.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:22 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,521,862 times
Quote:
IF pot really had medicinal purposes, some big drug company would have already isolated the compounds and would be marketing them. This is just a ruse to have the legal right to get high. IF there really are medicinal purposes, the thing to do is to push drug companies to isolate the beneficial compounds and market them to their target audience NOT legalize pot. As you have pointed out, you're inhaling lots of things when you smoke pot. You're getting the good with the bad. Drug companies can isoloate the good and leave out the bad. Perhaps even make a drug that has the benefits without the high...but the high is what this is all about isn't it? That's why they don't push for medical research on the compounds in pot. Just legalizing pot.

IMO, there is only one audience for which pot in its natural form should be legal for and that is those in Hospice. Heck give them any drug they want. There's nothing else we can do for them. For the rest, develop drugs that treat the specific symptom/disease in question, preferrably, without the high so decision making is not compromised and we don't have kids trying to get their hands on those drugs.
I just want to point out that drug already exists (Marinol).

Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,933,204 times
Quote:
Get over myself???? Huh.. This isn't about me.

Yes, alchohol is legal but two wrongs don't make a right. By your logic, why not make herion legal? Or Meth? Think of all the cottage industry with meth labs in people's houses legal now. People could make all kinds of money. And kids, who cares if they're subjected to high parents and easy access to drugs. All that matters is having the legal right to get high....GET OVER YOURSELF! Your percieved right to get high does not override the rights of society. You don't need to get high. You don't need to drink either but having one legal drug doesn't mean we should legalize them all.

Pot is a serious issue because anyone can grow it. How do you keep a 13 year old from buying pot when it's legal to grow it in your back yard? We have enough problems with teens and drugs without making pot legal and why does it need to be legal? Do people really NEED to get high? What purpose does that serve for society? What is wrong with people that they fight this hard for the right to get high? We should be fighting for things that improve life not checking out by using drugs.

I see no benefit in making pot legal. I see a lot of risk of easy access if we do. Alcohol is bad enough. We don't need to add pot to the list.
And you don't need to tell people what they can and cannot consume! If you're truly a conservative you would understand this and realize it is not up to the government what they can put in their bodies. If I want to toke up every once in awhile to take the edge off, or use it to relieve some pain, then that is MY business! At least it's better than taking anti-anxiety meds or getting hooked on pain pills, which is nothing more than legalized heroin!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
whats wrong with getting a little buzz??
Once your work day is done, and all of your priorities are handled......not a DAMNED THING!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:

So you think that the only reasons people don't use drugs is because they are illegal? You honestly think our current drug laws are working???

We have some of the highest addiction rates in the developed world. We have some of the most violent neighborhoods (mainly due to the drug trade) in the world.

Something is not working!!
Many people, especially elected politicians, think a good reason for NOT legalizing marijuana is because it's often found in the hands of criminals. So out of that faulty thinking it's thought that smoking marijuana makes one want to do criminal acts. But it has most everything to do with the fact that marijuana is banned with market demands for it. Not its use. Criminal minded people want to sell marijuana to make easy money with it not subject to income taxes. Probably many of them try to use as little marijuana as possible so as to not smoke up their profits. Legalize and regulate marijuana, like alcohol. As a result, criminals won't want to sell it any more than something legal, like alcohol, while separating the market for marijuana from more harmful drugs, such as meth, heroin and cocaine.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
It has both.

As well as one that's not being discussed. Spiritual significance. Many religions use mind altering substances to achieve an altered state of consciousness.
Yeah it does sometimes give you deep thoughts. Not a bad thing if you ask me.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I just want to point out that drug already exists (Marinol).
But it's true in some cases it has no effect as with this young gentleman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNv7lY-ZhKA

Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,154,909 times
Wasn't it Readers Digest that said over and over that "Laughter is the Best Medicine?"

Conservatives are not ones to doubt Readers Digest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies