Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should religious leaders be involved in political issues?
Yes 15 34.88%
Yes, but only if the issues are religious in nature 3 6.98%
No 25 58.14%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

Should religious leaders tell their congregations where to stand on different issues and who to vote for?? Personally I think it is okay and good when the issues at hand are religious in nature. For example, a pastor should definitely encourage his flock to vote for candidates that are pro-life and anti-gay marriage and anti-stem cell research because these link directly to religion. It is also understandable when Americans Jews listen to their rabbis and usually vote based on what is best for the State of Israel their home country.

However I don't think it should go beyond this. Here in Maryland, the Catholic church is encouraging their followers to support giving in-state college tuition to illegal aliens using our tax money. Despite the fact that illegal aliens are breaking many of God's commandments by being here. I think the Southern Baptist Convention has also supported the failed nationwide Dream Act which also supports illegal immigration. Why the SBC would do this coming mostly from the conservative South is beyond me but I think the Catholics are doing this because most Mexicans are Catholic and this is a way to support their fellow international Catholics, and to help add membership in the domestic Catholic church especially after all of the corruption and sex scandals among priests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:24 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
No.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
No.
I can think of no reason why religious leaders should be excluded from the political conversations, or any civic activity for that matter. They are citizens and their voices, within our society and Constitutional construct, is as valid as any other. To preclude their voices would be against the letter and spirit of our Constitutional compact.

So says the liberal/progressive/atheist.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Nope.
And if they are, their church and all churches of that denomination in the US should lose their tax advantage.
Period.
No ifs, ands or buts.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:07 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I can think of no reason why religious leaders should be excluded from the political conversations, or any civic activity for that matter. They are citizens and their voices, within our society and Constitutional construct, is as valid as any other. To preclude their voices would be against the letter and spirit of our Constitutional compact.

So says the liberal/progressive/atheist.
What I meant by "No" was a religious leader pressuring their congregation into voting for a certain candidate or viewpoint. There's no place for that.

Of course they can vote and participate in civic activities

Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Yes, and religious establishments should be subject to taxes.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:39 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Depends. I consider the following to be inappropriate.

1. Pressuring the congregation to vote for a specific party or candidate.
2. Circulating petitions in church for or against a certain issue. Again, pressuring congregants to take a stand.
3. Discussing said political issues from the pulpit during church announcements or the sermon.
4. Inviting candidates to speak in church.
5. Organizing rallies or events for or against an issue.

I don't think these should be illegal, but having experienced everything but #4 in my life, I can say that it's really not a good idea. The christian church's primary mission is to proclaim the gospel and to encourage people to follow Jesus, not to get overly involved in politics. It distracts and corrupts christians from their primary job and can turn Christians against each other. Jesus didn't get involved in his day, and neither should his followers...very much.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Sure. They can talk politics.

Just as soon as they give up their tax exempt status.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Of course. But how many of you guys actually listen to your pastor anyway?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Of course. But how many of you guys actually listen to your pastor anyway?
No one listens to pastors (thank goodness), and i don't think the pastors listen to anyone either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies