Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
The states really don't have it worked out. Many states don't have any formal laws detailing which states they do and do not accept. Some of the conditions are done on street precedent.

The law would allow all states to reciprocate--something we already do for other licenses--and doesn't actually change the laws in any way. Brady's fallacious argument could be as much made for Driver IDs as it does for CCWs. Some states have lenient driving licensing laws, some are much more strict.

Look at the map for yourself. Large swathes of land go barren if reside in one state but not another. You'd still have to follow the rules and regs of that state--just like your drivers license--but the difference is that you can't be arrested for illegal possession of a weapon if you have a valid permit. Imagine driving through Ohio one day and being arrested and your car impounded because they didn't reciprocate your drivers license.
Fallacious arguement. The national legal transport laws already cover this issue you have addressed. Illinois tried to violate those laws and arrested people driving across their state with their firearms unloaded and cased because they failed to posses a FOID. Illinois lost their case and can no longer violate legal transport laws.

I did not claim that the states had it completely worked out, only mostly worked out. There has been significant progress made with reciprocity increases over the past five years. If you live in a state that is behind, put pressure on your state AG's office to correct the situation.

Yes, if you have a CCW license and carry into any state you are responsible for knowing and abiding by the laws of that state. You must know the laws of your own state too. It isn't difficult really. Just takes a little time and effort to do one's homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Fallacious arguement. The national legal transport laws already cover this issue you have addressed. Illinois tried to violate those laws and arrested people driving across their state with their firearms unloaded and cased because they failed to posses a FOID. Illinois lost their case and can no longer violate legal transport laws.

I did not claim that the states had it completely worked out, only mostly worked out. There has been significant progress made with reciprocity increases over the past five years. If you live in a state that is behind, put pressure on your state AG's office to correct the situation.

Yes, if you have a CCW license and carry into any state you are responsible for knowing and abiding by the laws of that state. You must know the laws of your own state too. It isn't difficult really. Just takes a little time and effort to do one's homework.
Your suggestion doesn't always fly. MD has CC on the books but, it grants very few. being a dem controlled state, and has been for years, it ain't gonna happen.

Scenario. Say I live in NC and have a CCP. I travel to VT which CC is allowed.

Say I have been carrying for years and it is second nature to be armed. On my trip I foget I even have it on me. On my way through MD I get out of my car when I stop for gas.

By MD law, I have to unload my gun, put it in a case in the trunk. Store the ammo in a SEPARATE case and stow it in the trunk. As I am putting my gun in the trunk a police officer observes me with a gun. Hmm.

or, because I am so used to having it, I walk into the gas station for some coffee. The cashier notices my gun as I am getting my wallet. Hmm.

Get my point?

If a driver's license is recognized state to state, driving being a privilege, not a right. CC should be recognized since it is a right.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Your suggestion doesn't always fly. MD has CC on the books but, it grants very few. being a dem controlled state, and has been for years, it ain't gonna happen.

Scenario. Say I live in NC and have a CCP. I travel to VT which CC is allowed.

Say I have been carrying for years and it is second nature to be armed. On my trip I foget I even have it on me. On my way through MD I get out of my car when I stop for gas.

By MD law, I have to unload my gun, put it in a case in the trunk. Store the ammo in a SEPARATE case and stow it in the trunk. As I am putting my gun in the trunk a police officer observes me with a gun. Hmm.

or, because I am so used to having it, I walk into the gas station for some coffee. The cashier notices my gun as I am getting my wallet. Hmm.

Get my point?

If a driver's license is recognized state to state, driving being a privilege, not a right. CC should be recognized since it is a right.

Oh, I'm well aquainted with your argument. It is just that I do not agree with it.

The driver's license argument with which you chose to illustrate your point is as faulty and the gun-grabber's license/registration argument. I'm really surprised that you chose to go there. Your argument gives more power to a centralized government and takes it away from the states.

If you make stupid mistakes such as carrying concealed in a state where you do not have conceal carry reciprocity and get caught doing it then the mistake is yours. CCW is a method and should not be used interchangeably with the RKBA.

I've lived through the kind of restrictions of which you speak as I live in a border area where one state got CCW well before the adjoining one. I had a FL CCW and carried in states that reciprocated with FL and in FL years before I could carry in my own state. I literally had to pass into the state without CCW several times every day. Big deal! It is doable with a little effort and advanced planning without getting the federal government involved with what is a negotiation between state AG offices.

Seriously, if the right to keep and bear arms is of primary importance to you and you are not free to carry as you please you should move to a state which respects your rights and avoid those which do not whenever possible.

Never, ever, in what is now over 10 years of CCW as a lifestyle, have I ever "forgotten" that I was armed. Never, that is a lame excuse at best. With freedom comes responsibility.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm well aquainted with your argument. It is just that I do not agree with it.

The driver's license argument with which you chose to illustrate your point is as faulty and the gun-grabber's license/registration argument. I'm really surprised that you chose to go there. Your argument gives more power to a centralized government and takes it away from the states.

If you make stupid mistakes such as carrying concealed in a state where you do not have conceal carry reciprocity and get caught doing it then the mistake is yours. CCW is a method and should not be used interchangeably with the RKBA.

I've lived through the kind of restrictions of which you speak as I live in a border area where one state got CCW well before the adjoining one. I had a FL CCW and carried in states that reciprocated with FL and in FL years before I could carry in my own state. I literally had to pass into the state without CCW several times every day. Big deal! It is doable with a little effort and advanced planning without getting the federal government involved with what is a negotiation between state AG offices.

Seriously, if the right to keep and bear arms is of primary importance to you and you are not free to carry as you please you should move to a state which respects your rights and avoid those which do not whenever possible.

Never, ever, in what is now over 10 years of CCW as a lifestyle, have I ever "forgotten" that I was armed. Never, that is a lame excuse at best. With freedom comes responsibility.
If you get caught without your weapon when the thug tries to steal your car and takes you wife and kid with them who is making the stupid mistake.

I will never understand how so many people on here call anyone who doesn't agree with them as stupid.

The ones doing the name calling are usually the ones that are guilty.

If this is the level of your maturity don't bother coming back. I won't respond.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If you get caught without your weapon when the thug tries to steal your car and takes you wife and kid with them who is making the stupid mistake.

I will never understand how so many people on here call anyone who doesn't agree with them as stupid.

The ones doing the name calling are usually the ones that are guilty.

If this is the level of your maturity don't bother coming back. I won't respond.
Please point out where I called you stupid because I didn't agree with you.

What I specifically called stupid was making the mistake was carrying concealed in a state with which you do not have reciprocity priviledges and getting caught.

Reading is fundamental to understanding. CCW is a stealth lifestyle. I do not and will not promote the breaking of laws. You have to make your choices that best serve you and your family. I will not play "what if" scenarios over and over as though we are in 5th grade.

I maintain that bringing the federal government into what is a discussion between the people of a state, their AG, and the AG of the state they seek reciprocity, is both unnecessary and unwise. Once the federal government gets their hands on CCW they can easily modify it and destroy it. Again, CCW is a method in the practice of the RKBA and only a method.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,024 times
Quote:
I maintain that bringing the federal government into what is a discussion between the people of a state, their AG, and the AG of the state they seek reciprocity, is both unnecessary and unwise. Once the federal government gets their hands on CCW they can easily modify it and destroy it. Again, CCW is a method in the practice of the RKBA and only a method.
The Federal wouldn't have power over the actual CCW licensing, only the reciprocity being recognized nationally. That's the difference.

The laws change wildly between states. That's fine, what isn't is that being licensed to carry in one state doesn't mean a license to carry in another, and that can lead to unjust forfeiture of a firearm.

My analogy still stands. We are federally protected as drivers who are licensed in one state from losing their car and license traveling in another state. The same doesn't exist for concealed carry for what reason? I'd be willing to claim it is constitutionally protected if it so be challenged.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Please point out where I called you stupid because I didn't agree with you.

What I specifically called stupid was making the mistake was carrying concealed in a state with which you do not have reciprocity priviledges and getting caught.

Reading is fundamental to understanding. CCW is a stealth lifestyle. I do not and will not promote the breaking of laws. You have to make your choices that best serve you and your family. I will not play "what if" scenarios over and over as though we are in 5th grade.

You can parse it anyway you like. saying someone makes a stupid mistake is calling that person stupid.

The federal gov't has a little thing called the 2nd amendment. " the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The states CANNOT usurp the Fed. Wash, D.C. tried it and was overruled.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:42 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,602,460 times
Stupid because states like Arizona require no permit to carry a concealed weapon. We have law makers that do not know about gun safety. One recently was demonstrating her laser sight and pointing her loaded (no safety on) gun at a reporter. Talk about stupid...Her response that it was an accident and that the gun would not go off. How do gun accidents happen? What is the first rule of gun safety?

The Associated Press: Ariz. lawmaker says pointing gun was inadvertent

Old 07-17-2011, 01:25 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Frankly I don't support it. The states have this already pretty much worked out between themselves:

U.S. CCW Reciprocity Map from CarryConcealed.net (http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php - broken link)

There is no need for the federal government to get involved. What the government giveth the government also taketh away.
No, I can't carry in NY, MA, NJ, MD, CA, IL, and many other states. NY is a 20 minute drive from me and I can't carry there. They do not issue non-resident permits and they don't recognize any other state's either. As far as I'm concerned, states' rights exist to protect individual rights, not to infringe on them. The only time the feds should get involved is when a state violates the Constitution.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I welcome this if I can get a CCW in another State and use it here. Only LE or their family/friends stand a chance in hades of getting CCW here. I worked for a bank doing large drops after dark in a dung heap hood and couldn't get one. Reason? Not enough reason.
In my state only the county sheriff could sign off on a concealed carry permit and that's after taking I think it was 8 hours of class and then you had to have a "reason" that would require you to have one. Self defense of course was not reason enough in they're eyes. They got rid of all that thankfully now that the dems were kicked from office. Basically now you want one you get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies