Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
H.R. 822.

Essentially allows those with concealed carry permits from one state to carry them in any state that also issues CPLs, or does not have specific laws against the carry of concealed weapons.

It didn't pass in 2009, so I don't know why, but the Brady Campaign has their panties in a twist about this one.

The bill specifically states that anyone carrying concealed from a different state must abide by the laws of the state they are in.

So, what is Brady's complaint?
Emphasis mine.

It appears the Brady Campaign believes that people in a "lenient" state become murderous psychopaths when they cross state lines to a "strict" state.

From earlier in the email, this gem.
Emphasis mine.

Again. Ignore the vast majority of licensed people who carry peacefully. No, if they have a CPL, obviously they are murderous psychopaths, despite the evidence actually suggesting they are more law abiding than those who don't have them.
sarah bady is a gun grabber who wants to see no one having a firearm, except the privileged few. much like europe and other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Frankly I don't support it. The states have this already pretty much worked out between themselves:

U.S. CCW Reciprocity Map from CarryConcealed.net (http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php - broken link)

There is no need for the federal government to get involved. What the government giveth the government also taketh away.
technically if the constitution is properly applied, then the full faith and credit clause applies as equally to CCW permits as it does drivers licenses, and other professional licensing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Don't even need a CCW here in AZ to carry concealed.

That should be everywhere.
i agree with that, as long as the person is legally allowed to own a firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Stupid because states like Arizona require no permit to carry a concealed weapon. We have law makers that do not know about gun safety. One recently was demonstrating her laser sight and pointing her loaded (no safety on) gun at a reporter. Talk about stupid...Her response that it was an accident and that the gun would not go off. How do gun accidents happen? What is the first rule of gun safety?

The Associated Press: Ariz. lawmaker says pointing gun was inadvertent
stupid people do stupid things, it happens. however if someone wants to carry concealed here in arizona, as long as they are legally allowed to own a firearm, then they should be allowed to carry it any way they like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not believe there is ANY REASON for permits controlling firearms except for denying possession to criminals and the insane. Anyone with even the slightest sense of responsibility will learn how and when to use any weapon they may own.

However, as Concealed Carry Permits issued by State and Local governments’ already exist, I think these permits should be recognized in all jurisdictions. There is no difference between a driver’s license and a gun license. Both concern machinery that can be very dangerous if misused.

I believe Gun Control can be summed as - the ability to select a legitimate target and the skill to hit it with the first shot combined with the acknowledgement that the shooter is completely responsible for whatever damage the bullet does. This responsibility is mitigated by recognizing that defense of self, family and possible a stranger is a legitimate use of force.
greg, you and i disagree on many things, but on this we are in complete agreement. i too believe that gun control is how many you get in the ten ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
rbohm is the only poster that has correctly comprehended the role the federal government plays with State issued Concealed Carry Permits. They are, in fact, a "public act" no different than a State issued driver's license or a State issued marriage license.

Quote:
Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Source: Article III, Section 1, Clause 1 of the US Constitution
Additionally, the OP's completely bogus and massively ignorant claim that CCP holders are somehow more "law abiding" is pure BS. Besides Arizona, Alaska also does not require a Concealed Carry Permit to carry a concealed weapon. However, Alaska does issue a CCP for reciprocity purposes with other States.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:31 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
I honestly don't have a problem with required training for CCW. The second amendment refers to a "well-regulated militia". If you do your homework, you'll understand that in the vernacular of the day, well-regulated meant well-trained and militia meant the body of men. Today, we recognize that women should, obviously, be included in the "militia". So it's not contradictory for citizens to be trained to arms before carrying and using them. Cops and the military train regularly. So should citizens.

That said, each state should be able to discern what level of training they're comfortable with rather than the D.C.
Just as each state has it's own driver's license regulations. You don't need to take a test to drive in another state. ALL states accept a driver's license issued from all other states. Driving is a privilege. The right to keep and bear arms is a right guaranteed under the Constitution.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not believe there is ANY REASON for permits controlling firearms except for denying possession to criminals and the insane. Anyone with even the slightest sense of responsibility will learn how and when to use any weapon they may own.

However, as Concealed Carry Permits issued by State and Local governments’ already exist, I think these permits should be recognized in all jurisdictions. There is no difference between a driver’s license and a gun license. Both concern machinery that can be very dangerous if misused.

I believe Gun Control can be summed as - the ability to select a legitimate target and the skill to hit it with the first shot combined with the acknowledgement that the shooter is completely responsible for whatever damage the bullet does. This responsibility is mitigated by recognizing that defense of self, family and possible a stranger is a legitimate use of force.
We don't agree on many things but on this issue I agree with you.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess you better get all the illegal weapons out of gang bangers hands then before you go after legal law abiding citizens.
Under the current AZ law these gang bangers can conceal legally. No felonies and the gun is legit they can carry and conceal no questions asked.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Under the current AZ law these gang bangers can conceal legally. No felonies and the gun is legit they can carry and conceal no questions asked.
How someone carries a firearm, open or concealed, should make absolutely no difference. I would be willing to bet that most "gang bangers" already have felony convictions. In which case, it would be illegal for them to carry ANY firearm, concealed or not.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:35 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
So you have a problem allowing those not convicted of felonies or otherwise legally disqualified (restraining order, drug/alcohol habitual user, assessment of mental incompetance, etc...) to retain their Consitutional RKBA? Is that correct? Guilty before charged?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:52 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Additionally, the OP's completely bogus and massively ignorant claim that CCP holders are somehow more "law abiding" is pure BS.
Here in Texas the CHL holders are extremely law abiding compared to the general populace:

Texas DPS - CHL Conviction Rates Reports (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/convrates.htm - broken link)

Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
To me there should be NO licenses at all, state or federal. If you are a law abiding citizen, you have the RIGHT to keep and bear arms already. The only restrictions should be against criminals and those with mental disabilities. As laws are today, gun owners are considered guilty untill proven innocent and this is completely wrong!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Here in Texas the CHL holders are extremely law abiding compared to the general populace:

Texas DPS - CHL Conviction Rates Reports (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/convrates.htm - broken link)
Here in Alaska gun owners are extremely law abiding and do not need a "CHL" or CCP. Holding a license or permit does not make anyone more law abiding than any one else. Nor does not having a license or permit mean they are any less law abiding. It is a stupid, and extremely arrogant assumption to presume just because someone has a license or permit they are better than everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies