Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Cut the snark, pgh.
Dont blame me if you dont like hearing facts
Quote:
Planned Parenthood is a non-profit agency, and they are elgible to apply for grants.
AND? Being a non-profit agency doesnt mean you are entitled for grants, or that you should be entitled to double dip. Grants are for people who are a CHARITY. When you are collecting payment for proceedures you perform, AND getting grants, you are indeed double dipping. Spare me the bs about their "non profit" status because lots and lots of doctors get by on just the medicaid payments for procedures. Being a non-profit doesnt mean you should get special treatment
Quote:
The goalposts have been moved. The original complaint about PP was that they are an abortion provider. But now we've gotten into this sexual prudery of some posters, and all sorts of other extraneous crap. But that's what we've come to expect from people who have no other way to argue a point.
Nope.. no goalpost has been moved. Maybe you can go back and find one of my previous postings dealing with abortion as a primary concern. I'll wait.. The only goalpost which was moved is liberals who moaned and groaned because Bachmans run a medical facility and get paid for their services, but now have no problem with PP double dipping the taxpayers dime.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because PP is getting medicaid payments AND federal grants, which means they get MORE than doctors who provide the exact same services. I see you moaning and groaning about Bauchmanns husband getting paid for services, but defneding PP's double payment... How odd..
So do public clinics and hospitals. Public clinics provide the same and almost all of the services that PP provides, but its run by the government, and if a person comes in wanting information on abortion, said clinics and doctors usually refer these patients to Planned Parenthood for services.

So are you going to demand that government run hospitals and clinics not refer people to those who provide abortion services should a couple ask about that information?

After all, the doctors and nurses who work there are being paid with public money.

PP double payment? Hardly, what they get from the govt only covers 18% of their operational costs. All of the other funding comes form private donations and what patients can afford to pay.

That 18% helps to defer costs of some of the services they provide; like making breast examinations cheaper than most public clinics or private clinics; like offering FREE vaccinations, instead of charging for them; Like discounted rates on STD medicines and so forth.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
Conservative logic requires conservative amounts of thinking.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
If it's not OK to get BC at PP, then it shouldn't be OK to get BC from a private doc.

Prove the bold, with statistics, not some RW blog.

I am confused here. Is the concept of individual responsibility alien to you?

The OP you responded to was making an argument for personal responsibility and how society has developed a mindset that believes each individuals problem is automatically everyone else and therefore requires the management from everyone and the contribution from everyone to remedy.

It is as simple as that. If someone wants to take precautionary measure be it through birth control or various other means and pay for it through private means, then they are taking the responsibility for such.

As for the percentages, well... I won't state it as fact, but I would bet that his comments are correct. It isn't a stretch to make the claim that he did considering societies direction over the years.

Will you accept the numbers and concede your point if you are shown the numbers? I mean, I only ask out of curiosity as I have seen your arguments before and well... call it intuition, but I don't think the "facts" will make a damn bit of difference in arguing this point to you.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Conservative logic requires conservative amounts of thinking.
Oh goodie, I love these pointless relations.

Let me try.

Liberal thinking has no rational bounds and so operates in chaotic bliss!

/golf clap

Old 07-13-2011, 11:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I am confused here. Is the concept of individual responsibility alien to you?

and why do you and OP think that responsibility isn't being practiced?

a couple can take all the precaustions, use all the birth control in the world, and it only takes ONE thing, one moment that can all go to hell.

Birth CONTROL isn't 100% effective. Never has been, never will be (short of actually getting a vasectomy and/or having one's uterus removed).

A couple can have the condom in place, the diaphragm installed still get pregnant, due to a defect in the condom or the diaphragm moves during sex.

What we want is for conservative nutjobs to realize that, just because we have sex, doesn't mean that we aren't taking the precautions necessary to try and prevent pregnancies.

All conservative nutjobs see is YOU have SEX = YOU NOT RESPONSIBLE.

Sorry, WE do not live in such a black and white world.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Default Here's your sign, errr, Prooof.

Quote:
If it's not OK to get BC at PP, then it shouldn't be OK to get BC from a private doc.

Prove the bold, with statistics, not some RW blog.
Proof that more children are being born out of wedlock than ever before you ask?

Excerpt from WIKI, (btw, it's happening all over the world, not just here).

In April 2009, the National Center for Health Statistics announced that nearly 40 percent of babies born in the United States in 2007 were delivered by unwed mothers. The 1.7 million out-of-wedlock births, out of 4.3 million total births, represented a more than 25 percent jump from five years earlier

Out-of-Wedlock Birthrates Are Soaring, U.S. Reports - NYTimes.com

Here is one from CNN, obviously not a right wing blog.

Out-of-wedlock births hit record high - CNN

Record percentage of U.S. children born out of wedlock :: EWTN News

Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 AM

Default nutjob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
and why do you and OP think that responsibility isn't being practiced?

a couple can take all the precaustions, use all the birth control in the world, and it only takes ONE thing, one moment that can all go to hell.

Birth CONTROL isn't 100% effective. Never has been, never will be (short of actually getting a vasectomy and/or having one's uterus removed).

A couple can have the condom in place, the diaphragm installed still get pregnant, due to a defect in the condom or the diaphragm moves during sex.

What we want is for conservative nutjobs to realize that, just because we have sex, doesn't mean that we aren't taking the precautions necessary to try and prevent pregnancies.

All conservative nutjobs see is YOU have SEX = YOU NOT RESPONSIBLE.

Sorry, WE do not live in such a black and white world.
Actually it is pretty much black and white. If you have sex, you risk making a baby. That's about as cut and dry/black and white as it gets.

1. having sex can result in a baby being made. (I learned this as a young teenager).

2. we are supposed to be better than the animals. Animals do things on instinct, eat, mate, etc etc. Since we are SUPPOSED to be better than the animals, able to reason and rationalize, then we should know what the result of certain actions are. Just because we WANT to have sex, doesn't mean you HAVE to have sex. Jeesh as a teenager, I wanted sex all the time, but the various girlfriends I had and I were able to find creative ways without doing something that would make a baby.

3. Birth control is not 100% EFFECTIVE, not having sex is. (Remember, we ARE supposed to be better than the animals, and we USED to be able to control ourselves).

4. Planned parenthood is a great idea, and does great work. The caveat to that is, it isn't the government's job to fund them. Remember, the government has no money other than what they receive in taxes. Many people consider most taxes as theft, "In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent." We have pretty much resigned ourselves to this theft of our wages, but many people are truly upset that the money is being used for items not considered a responsibility of the Federal Government. Have you read the constitution? Financial support by the federal government for things like planned parenthood is simply not there. Neither is the education department, that's a states issue, and a topic for another forum.

5. If you want to support PP, go ahead. Make a donation. Get your local church to hold a bake sale or something. Don't expect your 19 year old working 2 jobs and going to college full time, to be impressed that his/hers taxes are so high because part of them is funding low cost birth control for someone making less than them, but has more time to work. (Yup, have you looked at the the rates for a single person working 50-60 hours a week, making 8-10 bucks an hour ends up being?)

The bottom line, it's not my job, or anyone elses to pay for someone elses birth control. When I was young, my wife and I paid for our own. We both had jobs, and it was still rough, but we found the money and put it together to do what was the responsible thing to do. We made sure she didn't get pregnant till we were married, and then waited till we were ready. It's really too bad that more people just cannot understand that just because you WANT to do something, doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. Sex is very enjoyable, but wanting to doesn't mean HAVING to.

There, black and white.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:23 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
well what about the poor woman who has been raped? It's not black and white.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
well what about the poor woman who has been raped? It's not black and white.
The poor woman who was raped isn't looking for birth control, and I have no issues with her getting an abortion if she desires one, and I think that there SHOULD be funds set aside to help people in that position. This however is different issue from people desiring birth control paid for by someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies