Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,847,678 times

Advertisements

OP I think you are being very extreme. I laughed immediately when I saw your "idea" of punishment.

Kids need to be taught how to fight, enrolled in self-defense classes, and seriously I'd rather just see the kids beat the crap out of the bully that tries to bully them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:42 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,867,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
OP I think you are being very extreme. I laughed immediately when I saw your "idea" of punishment.

Kids need to be taught how to fight, enrolled in self-defense classes, and seriously I'd rather just see the kids beat the crap out of the bully that tries to bully them.
This ^

Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
This ^
I don't want my daughter fighting with a guy who bullies her. Sorry but telling kids to go beat on each other isn't the answer either. Odds are your kids will end up arrested for assualt.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 AM

11,284 posts, read 11,057,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I am discussing it. Turn the machine off. Simple. Delete your account whatever. Why would you go and read crap somebody writes about you or whatever? All these protections and anti bullying stuff is not preparing kids to become adults. What will they do when they finally have to stand up for themselves and all they know is that they go tell on the mean kids and all is fine. Thats not reality. Life is difficult at times and if one can't learn to sort it out at a young age they have no hope for their future IMO. It only gets harder as you get older.
I'd have to disagree. School age kids are the cruelest. Life can be rough, but I faced a tougher time during my school years than I ever have in the 19 years since graduating, and I've worked in some industries that require a fair level of "thick skin".

Also, there is a lower level of mental and emotional maturity at that age as well. This is the age where a healthy level of self esteem is paramount to ensure heathy development. I agree that self defense classes are good for a child to raise self esteem and boost confidence, but it is not always that simple.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't want my daughter fighting with a guy who bullies her. Sorry but telling kids to go beat on each other isn't the answer either. Odds are your kids will end up arrested for assualt.
Meh, you know there are women that can beat up a man? I know of quite a few.

You don't have to teach your kids to fight with bullies. But I will teach mine. I don't believe this "current" system of anti-bullying programs and parent-teacher intervention is working very well. And I don't think that allowing someone to run over you, hit you, treat you like your trash, while you just stand there and "take it" is great for the self-esteem. Matter of fact that sounds very degrading and embarrassing. Why would anyone let someone treat them any sort of way, physically harm, and so on and just "take it" and then go home, cry about it, get mom and dad and try to "solve" the issue. I'd rather solve the issue then and there. And I'd rather stand up for myself. That's just me.

I remember when a young boy tried to bully my little sister. She threw him against the locker and slammed him. This is a 4ft11 110 pound young girl too. Quite funny.

I know many people will say violence is not the answer, but if someone pushes me, I'm not going to stand there, or walk away and call my mom or the principal, I'm going to defend myself. In the end that is what it is about. Self-defense.

I understand you don't agree--many people will not agree with me.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Quote:
Meh, you know there are women that can beat up a man? I know of quite a few.

You don't have to teach your kids to fight with bullies. But I will teach mine. I don't believe this "current" system of anti-bullying programs and parent-teacher intervention is working very well. And I don't think that allowing someone to run over you, hit you, treat you like your trash, while you just stand there and "take it" is great for the self-esteem. Matter of fact that sounds very degrading and embarrassing. Why would anyone let someone treat them any sort of way, physically harm, and so on and just "take it" and then go home, cry about it, get mom and dad and try to "solve" the issue. I'd rather solve the issue then and there. And I'd rather stand up for myself. That's just me.

I remember when a young boy tried to bully my little sister. She threw him against the locker and slammed him. This is a 4ft11 110 pound young girl too. Quite funny.

I know many people will say violence is not the answer, but if someone pushes me, I'm not going to stand there, or walk away and call my mom or the principal, I'm going to defend myself. In the end that is what it is about. Self-defense.

I understand you don't agree--many people will not agree with me.
Cyber bullying isn't about physical violence and can't be solved by physical violence. Sometimes you don't even know who is harassing you. And usually it's the most vulnerable (ie; the ones who are NEVER going to fight back physically) who get bullied the most.

My son was hassled by a kid in elementary school and he DID physically push back. He's a big kid, but not a fighter. I told him to do it. It was minor stuff anyway, nothing anyone would bring a knife or gun to...somthing that never gets considered when talking tough.

You are correct, I don't agree because your solution doesn't work most of the time. It just sounds nice.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Cyber bullying isn't about physical violence and can't be solved by physical violence. Sometimes you don't even know who is harassing you. And usually it's the most vulnerable (ie; the ones who are NEVER going to fight back physically) who get bullied the most.

My son was hassled by a kid in elementary school and he DID physically push back. He's a big kid, but not a fighter. I told him to do it. It was minor stuff anyway, nothing anyone would bring a knife or gun to...somthing that never gets considered when talking tough.

You are correct, I don't agree because your solution doesn't work most of the time. It just sounds nice.
I wasn't even speaking about cyber bullying. Not to be mean--but if someone is being bullied online, can't they just like exit out of that site? Or something? I don't understand how someone can be bullied ONLINE? I don't know much about cyber bullying so honestly I have no real comment about it, other than HOW? Can someone please explain to me how cyber bullying works?

My solution has worked for all the people I know that used it.

Matter of fact all the people I know that used my solution were much more satisfied then they were relying on teachers, and parents to "stop" the bullying from happening.

Will it work for everyone? Probably not. Not everyone can fight. And of course it depends on the situation(not every situation is worth the consequences of a fight). But it will be what I teach my children if there are bullies that physically try to harm them.

To each their own.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Best solution: Beat your own kids to keep them in line. Problem solved, at home.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,471,039 times
We are raising a society of F'ing sissies. This country is completely doomed with these softies that are being brought up. They have no spine and no courage.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,471,039 times
Quote:

Great Answer! +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies