Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I think this country needs a rude awakening. It will be terrible for us all, but would rather go through it now and make it quick than a painful experience for a long time.
I agree. Let them destroy the economy so the low information voters can realize what a huge screw up it was to vote a bunch of tea baggers into office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Sorry. I'm not up for seeing the country go off a cliff because certain nutjobs are willing to sink the ship of state for the sake of an idea.
What do you say about the statement by Obama that he couldn't guarantee Social Security checks would go out on August 3 unless he gets his increased credit card amount? I say that August 2 was selected as the drop dead date with that statement in mind. It is purely political and I surely wonder how many of those, like me, who get their SS payment on the 3rd of the month will fail to see through the fear he is trying to put in the Republicans. This statement by him has made me sure as all hell a non-voter for Obama. He is showing no leadership with this fear mongering. Alan West calls it fear mongering and I surely agree and am more ready to vote for West any time over Obama.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
This is turning into a repeat of 1994, except 10 time worse.

But to hell with it, I'd say let the republicans drive us off the cliff. Maybe finally they will be finished as a national party.
When will you Obama supporters see that most of the spending cuts the Dems are talking about will be made somewhere near the end of the next decade? If you can't see what they are saying in trying to put the cuts off for a time and getting the raised taxes immediately you are proving that you really don't understand what they are trying for. I know the media isn't talking about the fact that they want to put off the spending cuts but that is what they are talking about and that 85% - 15% deal by Republicans was never intended to be about ghost cuts that would be done 10 years from now.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When will you Obama supporters see that most of the spending cuts the Dems are talking about will be made somewhere near the end of the next decade? If you can't see what they are saying in trying to put the cuts off for a time and getting the raised taxes immediately you are proving that you really don't understand what they are trying for. I know the media isn't talking about the fact that they want to put off the spending cuts but that is what they are talking about and that 85% - 15% deal by Republicans was never intended to be about ghost cuts that would be done 10 years from now.
^^ These are the kind of voters that are responsible for the garbage we have in congress right now. Enjoy default and the destruction of our economy in a few weeks.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Looks like Boehner is just throwing a tantrum as Obama and the dems have them pinned in the corner with their colossal spending cuts they brought to the table, and the right are refusing to cut anything.
Colossal? Are you serious?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What do you say about the statement by Obama that he couldn't guarantee Social Security checks would go out on August 3 unless he gets his increased credit card amount? I say that August 2 was selected as the drop dead date with that statement in mind. It is purely political and I surely wonder how many of those, like me, who get their SS payment on the 3rd of the month will fail to see through the fear he is trying to put in the Republicans. This statement by him has made me sure as all hell a non-voter for Obama. He is showing no leadership with this fear mongering. Alan West calls it fear mongering and I surely agree and am more ready to vote for West any time over Obama.
Roy, I trust Obama's opinion more than yours on the deadline because he and the treasury secretary have a better understanding of our fiscal deadlines than we--and probably this Alan West guy--do. Unless you've been to the Treasury Department to talk to him and Geithner recently, I'll believe Obama.

Do you have a link by the way to what Alan West is saying?
By the way. It's not Obama's personal credit card. It's the national credit card.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
And health care reform was yet another example of republican proposals being opposed by republicans, and democrats went for it anyway. I see the same with debt ceiling issue... Obama has agreed to pretty much what the republicans were asking just a few weeks ago (85% via spending cuts, 15% via increased tax revenue) and that ain't acceptable to the republicans now. Telling of the absurd political game they've been playing. An excerpt from The Economist on the subject:

And to quote David Brooks, another conservative (I'm sure, a faux conservative to the right wing fundamentalists, especially after such points as these):

They speak of the "Real Patriots" this country could do better not listening to.
Brooks proves with these words that he is anything but conservative.

If the Republican Party were a normal party, it would take advantage of this amazing moment. It is being offered the deal of the century: trillions of dollars in spending cuts in exchange for a few hundred billion dollars of revenue increases.

A normal Republican Party would seize the opportunity to put a long-term limit on the growth of government. It would seize the opportunity to put the country on a sound fiscal footing. It would seize the opportunity to do these things without putting any real crimp in economic growth.

This amazing moment, as he says, is about immediate tax increases and far down the road spending cuts. Only someone like Brooks could see this as he seems to. When Obama tells them that the 85 - 15 thing is acceptable he doesn't mention, as Brooks doesn't also, that the spending cuts will be implemented up to 10 years from now. This is saying that they must have their increase in credit card money along with immediate tax increases and the spending cuts will be made in the future.

I think that anyone who is really thinking could see that they want to use their fear tactics, like no SS money after this month, if they don't get their deal, as a method of buying votes from old people and then after they win control of the Congress forgetting the spending cuts they talk about.

Have a talk with your namesake and see if he can explain any of this to you.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I think this country needs a rude awakening. It will be terrible for us all, but would rather go through it now and make it quick than a painful experience for a long time.

Now only if the immature stopped complaining about lack of bipartisanship. I'm preparing for the bumpy ride, alright, and may just take a long vacation to Europe and Asia if need be.
Don't let the door slam your butt on the way out.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
^^ These are the kind of voters that are responsible for the garbage we have in congress right now. Enjoy default and the destruction of our economy in a few weeks.
Go ahead and say something about the post that you posted this one in answer of. I will accept a chance to debate with you about immediate tax increases and ghost decreases in spending that may come about in a few years.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And the childishness continues. Here's an article detailing Boehner's meeting today with the GOP caucus.

Angry John Boehner rallies GOP troops on debt limit - John Bresnahan and Jake Sherman and Jonathan Allen - POLITICO.com

This is why strict ideologues should stay out of politics. They're bad for the country.
I believe both Obama and Boehner are moderates (or at least, Boehner is what passes for a moderate in the GOP these days). Both are interested in governing. I really think that, given their choice, they would have settled on an historic compromise that would have cut spending dramatically, found new funding by closing tax loopholes, and begin the process of addressing entitlement issues.

But the Tea Party's NOT interested in governance. They don't BELIEVE in governance. Their monomaniacal fixation on taxes has hamstrung Boehner, and stopped the process dead. Even if there are still Republican congresspeople who don't share the Tea Party's crazy zeal, they don't dare defy them, for fear of having the Club For Growth challange them from the Right in their next primary.

We need to raise the debt ceiling by at least two trillion dollars. The GOP says fine, but it has to be all cuts. Unless you cut the military, which they won't consider, YOU CAN'T GET TO TWO TRILLION BY CUTS ALONE, AND STILL HAVE A CIVIL SOCIETY!

And THAT is the real issue, the key to understanding today's GOP. Their real goal has nothing to do with debt and deficits. It is the reversal of ALL the social advances of the Progressive Era, from the end of the Civil War through the 1969 Clean Air Act, and the establishment of a New Gilded Age in America.

Last edited by Gurbie; 07-12-2011 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies