Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think it's a disgrace what our communities pay our Police Officers...and I'm wondering if many of you are aware of how little they do get paid? Atlanta and parts of Texas pay a little over $50 some thousand to start, however, that still isn't right. How do they expect someone with a family to live on $28.000 a year? And that isn't take home?????
Its dispicable and just plain wrong...it's so sad that more people are not aware of this, and change things for our police officers...it's really really sad...they put they're lives on the line for us, answering calls that are extremely dangerous....and that's all they get paid? I don't know, but I believe we should be embarrassed....

I'm sorry, I lied, I was wrong, it's a little over 37,000 but still? I think that's dispicable...really?

Your feelings?

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-12-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Personally, I think it's a disgrace what our communities pay our Police Officers...and I'm wondering if many of you are aware of how little they do get paid? Atlanta and parts of Texas pay a little over $50 some thousand to start, however, that still isn't right. How do they expect someone with a family to live on $28.000 a year? And that isn't take home?????
Its dispicable and just plain wrong...

Your feelings?
They get decent benefits. There is more to a job than just their base salary. I know in my area police officers are able to put in OT and do security work while in uniform. I also know that in recent years there have been some officers retiring in their 40's with 90k/year pensions because they did massive overtime the last couple years before retirement--and pension was figured based on that.

WE can make the same argument about teachers...but really, is there a shortage of quality people willing to do the job?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
the 28k is base pay. Doesn't include overtime or off duty jobs which I believe pay time and a half. Also doesn't include additonal pay for being part of special task forces and teams (i.e. SWAT).

While I agree with you that the base pay for police officer is really crappy (so is the pay for teachers...but thats for a different thread) the number you posted doesn't reflect their true take home amount.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
I don't worry about cops. Most quickly learn how to work the taxpayer for more.

You could always quit being a parasite and go into private security.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Blame the unions. They sit at the bargaining table and maneuver the money on the table to those closer to retirement to build up their pensions.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
They get decent benefits. There is more to a job than just their base salary. I know in my area police officers are able to put in OT and do security work while in uniform. I also know that in recent years there have been some officers retiring in their 40's with 90k/year pensions because they did massive overtime the last couple years before retirement--and pension was figured based on that.

WE can make the same argument about teachers...but really, is there a shortage of quality people willing to do the job?
I get what your saying, however, if you have a family Calvinist, Pension doesn't put food in they're mouths...and lest we forget all departments are different...in Atlanta, they are able to do security work, b/c banks and such hire off duty police officers, however, not all areas are like that, and at least Atlanta starts at a decent figure...but to pay an officer 37,000 to start is primitive wages. Lest we forget, now adays officers need to have a degree in law enforcement...and most now adays need a second language.

I'm sorry, but I think this is awful....and by the way, yes, some are able to work overtime, however, if the man/woman has a family, and your making only 37,000 a year, you'd have to work an additional at least 20 hours a week? When does he get time with his family?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
$37k A year for a small city for a job that does not require a degree is higher than average.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
I get what your saying, however, if you have a family Calvinist, Pension doesn't put food in they're mouths...and lest we forget all departments are different...in Atlanta, they are able to do security work, b/c banks and such hire off duty police officers, however, not all areas are like that, and at least Atlanta starts at a decent figure...but to pay an officer 37,000 to start is primitive wages. Lest we forget, now adays officers need to have a degree in law enforcement...and most now adays need a second language.

I'm sorry, but I think this is awful....and by the way, yes, some are able to work overtime, however, if the man/woman has a family, and your making only 37,000 a year, you'd have to work an additional at least 20 hours a week? When does he get time with his family?
The solution is easy. Don't take the job if it isn't enough for you TO START!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
the 28k is base pay. Doesn't include overtime or off duty jobs which I believe pay time and a half. Also doesn't include additonal pay for being part of special task forces and teams (i.e. SWAT).

While I agree with you that the base pay for police officer is really crappy (so is the pay for teachers...but thats for a different thread) the number you posted doesn't reflect their true take home amount.
Yeah, true take home is much less...they start at 37,000 a year...yanno, its so easy for us to judge, however, what if your not working any special task force or team? Not everyone works SWAT, and not every one has privy to off duty jobs...

Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:

Is there a shortage of qualified candidates to do the job? We should pay what we need to in order to get good police officers. I was actually a CJ my first 2 years of college. I wanted to be a cop. Realistically, I realized how difficult it was for my demographic with no family connections to get on to the police dept though, so I didn't pursue it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies