Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Unemployment benefits be repaid???
YES 32 31.68%
NO 57 56.44%
DEPENDS 12 11.88%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times

Advertisements

Should those receiving the unemployment extensions be made to pay them back at some point in time. Maybe not pay all of it back, but some percentage?

YES?

NO?

DEPENDS?

Please explain your reasons!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:48 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Should those receiving the unemployment extensions be made to pay them back at some point in time. Maybe not pay all of it back, but some percentage?
I was against the extensions in the first place, and hope they end as soon as possible. You cannot, however, demand repayment of benefits after the fact. If they had been told that part of it was to be considered a loan in advance, great. But you can't change the rules after you give them the money.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
I say no. Isn't there an unemployment insurance tax people pay? I know a state unemployment insurance tax comes out of my paycheck, but I don't think a federal one does :-/ If I ever needed it, I would feel entitled to it because it comes out of my check now.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:53 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
I understand that many people need it, trust me I have been there, but what about those that are taking more than they have paid in?
Is it fair that they are drawing more from the government than they paid in? I say NO it isnt.

Is there not a cut off point? When I collected UE I only collected for 2 months because I found employment, so I don't know whether or not there is a cut off point.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:53 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,151 times
When you are forced pay into something you should have it with out paying it back. We all pay to Unemployment and to be honest it's a rip off. If a person was to put the same amount in to an Aflac (They don't do unemployment it's an example) type of savings it would last more then 100 weeks.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:55 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Quote:

YES?

NO?

DEPENDS?

Sure - whenever welfare recipients are made to pay back the benefits THEY'VE received.............

Let me know when that will be..........

Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I say no. Isn't there an unemployment insurance tax people pay? I know a state unemployment insurance tax comes out of my paycheck, but I don't think a federal one does :-/ If I ever needed it, I would feel entitled to it because it comes out of my check now.
Huh, which state are you in? I've never heard of that before. I was under the impression that employers pay a tax, not employees. eta: I see you're in NY.

Quote:
Currently, employers pay federal unemployment taxes of 6.2 percent on the first $7,000 earned by each of their employees during a calendar year. These federal taxes are used to cover the costs of administering the UC programs in all states. In addition, the federal UC taxes pay one-half of the cost of extended unemployment benefits (during periods of high unemployment) and provide for a fund from which states may borrow, if necessary, to pay benefits.

State UC tax rates vary from state-to-state. State UC taxes may be used only to pay benefits to unemployed workers. The state UC tax rate paid by employers is based on the state's current unemployment rate. As their unemployment rates go up, the states are required by federal law to raise the UC tax rate paid by employers.
Unemployment Benefits: A Federal-State Lifeline for the Unemployed

Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 PM

212 posts, read 572,952 times
Quote:

YES?

NO?

DEPENDS?

No. You already pay taxes on the check you receive.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
It might be a good idea for those that have collected assistance for long periods of time to be taxed a bit higher when employment is obtained. Maybe something like 1-2% (like 10% for the lowest bracket to 11%).

Old 12-06-2010, 08:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
There are only a few states in which the employee pays into the unemployment tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies