Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 PM

791 posts, read 1,426,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I have no problem with doing that. Foreign aid and being the world's policeman are definitely down on my priority list.
we should pull all aid including military...but we are in bed with the arabs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
I feel bad for the seniors who put their faith in government to provide for them.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Indecent fear mongering and bully tactics by Obama is more like it. The first checks that should be frozen are his and those to members of Congress.

Ever notice how Obama likes to attack old people? Obama, the ultimate "death panel".

true dat!

Bammer wants old people to take synthetic herion (vicodin) instead of getting pace makers and now he wants what? more pain killers instead of retirement checks?

well, he can at least claim to be saving us money.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
$200b/month revenue should cover seniors, shouldn't it?
No, it won't. Heck, even in a regular year SS is running a deficit. Or, do you want to run SS as a welfare check instead?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
14th Amendment - The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.
See the part I highlighted in red.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
not taking sides, but the funny thing is nobody here knows whether hes right or wrong.

all this thread has been is the usual partisan attacks between the same democrats and the same republicans on this forum.

i myself dont know, as I know most people in this thread dont know if they will be stopped or not.

if they will stop, the republicans will be annihilated as they are the hesitant ones right now.

if they dont stop, its what people on here say it is, a scare tactic.

the question is, will they stop if there is no budget in place?

can you guys get beyond your partisan bickering and answer the question?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:14 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
not taking sides, but the funny thing is nobody here knows whether hes right or wrong.

all this thread has been is the usual partisan attacks between the same democrats and the same republicans on this forum.

i myself dont know, as I know most people in this thread dont know if they will be stopped or not.

if they will stop, the republicans will be annihilated as they are the hesitant ones right now.

if they dont stop, its what people on here say it is, a scare tactic.

the question is, will they stop if there is no budget in place?

can you guys get beyond your partisan bickering and answer the question?
Not true. Anyone can look at the actual numbers from Tresury and see that our monthly income (tax revenue of the gov.) Exceeds the interest we pay each month by at least 20 times.

As far as SS and Medicare, those numbers combined with the interest payments do not exceed income.

you can find all the information you need here.

Current and Back Issues: Daily Treasury Statement: Publications & Guidance: Financial Management Service

Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah, sometimes facts are scary.

If Republican threats to allow default to take place unless they get their way why is the threat that in order to not exceed the debt limit the administration will refrain from paying out SS benefits be any different?
So Obama, when he voted to NOT raise the debt ceiling as a senator, expected that SS benefits would not be paid out? Yet he still voted no.

The facts ARE scary - the child-in-chief can't help but default to scare tactics. It's what whiny little narcissists do when they see their kingdom crumbling around them.

He needs to lead, not resort to political games.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,776 times
It will be that and a lot more if they can't meet 44% of their obligations. And if we assume debt payments are made, then entitlements, defense, and regular spending will be close to a 58% reduction.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
National parks will close down or run under private ownership, some military expenses will be cut, agencies like the BATFE will cut staff.

All win-win stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies