Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Ahem. I'm pretty sure that is why the Chinese are ruling the world.
RE: China. Remember the 1980's when people were saying they better start teaching Japanese in the schools so our children would be able to understand their bosses? Japan was to rule the world for the 21st century according to one best-seller. I believe that every perceived strength of China has a corresponding weakness that we are currently ignoring--and the wheels will come off when least expected--as happened to Japan. The demographic reality of the One Child policy will be tough to work through in the next couple of decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 04:09 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,512,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The big threat is if Corporations were to ever run Govt. .....Oh, oh...
In many ways they already do.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
The Government of Course:

It is they who make the Laws in regard to Corporations and the marriage they have with them. Legalized Plunder is the name of the Game - Goverment is the one who passes the Laws.

Government has to give-in to corrupt Business people an then work in both their favor by passing laws enshrining their activities. Without the Government vacating their responsibility to the Constitution and the people, Corporations would be subject to the people.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Rugged individualism doesn't work well when you have 310 million neighbors. Some perceived freedoms must be forfeited in order to have a functioning society. You mention that you have to wear a helmet. You don't mention that you have to follow the speed limit. If you really want freedom, wouldn't you also claim the speed limit is an unnecessary intrusion? My point is that the removal of some 'freedoms' makes sense.

Don't jump through your screen, but I want bigger government. Let me explain: I want more community and citizen participation. Extra eyes and ears will scare the corruption away, will serve to remove our corporate overlords, and return government to its basic building block, the human being (as opposed to the sheet of paper--corporation--that now assumes parity with living beings). Once the crap has been exposed and excised, THEN government can diminish in size. But I won't yield on environmental regulation and regulation where the common good is involved. Someday we might get to your idealized libertarian society, but not as a first or next step.
As I stated I am a moderate conservative. Speed limits and traffic lights are necessary for the safety and basic function of society. Have you ever seen a large metro intersection during rush hour when the traffic lights fail? That is what the country would look like with no rules. So on that we agree. The difference is that not using head protection and seat belts put only myself at risk. That should be my choice to make as an adult in a free country. I understand the government saying I must use them for minor children because minors do not have the legal capacity to make decisions for themselves. But the government has no business trying to nanny adults.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the banks did not force the government to bail them out. in fact the government forced many banks to take tarp funds even though they did not want or need them. take wells fargo for instance, they did not need tarp funds, and did not want taro funds, but in order for them to buy a smaller bank that was in trouble, paulson forced wells fargo to take tarp funds or he would make sure that wells fargo would never get approval to buy the smaller bank they wanted.

as for gm, and chrysler, again they did not force the government to bail them out. they asked for the loans, and the government made them jump through hoops to get the loans they wanted. and even then both companies had to file for bankruptcy protection, and when they did, the obama administration stepped in an stole both companies from the rightful owners, the stockholders, screwed the bond holders, and gave a large portion of both companies to the unions.

as for ATT and verizon, and sprint, these companies know that in order to provide good service at reasonable prices in this environment, they need to be large companies. otherwise you have lots of small companies, each charging line usage fees to everyone that uses their phone lines, which only drives phone bills up. i dont think that we are ever going to have a single phone service provider ever again as the courts will not let that happen.
First of all the government should never ever ever save private corporations from their own stupidity. There should not be any "too big to fail". If they fail, they can go to Bankruptcy Court just like United and Delta did and reorganize.
Secondly I would disagree with you about AT&T and Verizon. The want to have a "shared monopoly". Normally I don't have a problem with a large corporation but there is only so much radio spectrum allocated to cellular service and it is not like a new company can enter that market.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Government......

I can always decide not to buy a product, listen to a radio station or not watch something on TV....

But I can't get away from the IRS nor the taxes government puts on almost everything....
Oh you don't buy a product and corporations will just fall apart huh?

Keep smoking

I hate to tell you this but corporations are so mired into our society with so many different products. Take GE...

What do you think GE does now, make light bulbs? No their biggest division is in finance and more specifically finance overseas. How did GE, one of the largest American corporations do last year?

GE paid no taxes last year.
GE made a $14.5 billion profit last year.
GE cut its global workforce by 5.5%

No taxes, a huge profit...its like a Republican's wet dream for job creation right?

So what can government do if corporations refuse to hire people after paying no taxes and making huge profits?

Who pumps endless amounts of money into campaign coffers?

Last edited by arrgy; 07-13-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies