U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 PM

11,447 posts, read 13,881,616 times

Advertisements

Well we've heard the argument for a while now: That gays getting hitched will ultimately destroy what we traditional know as marriage. As it turns out the exact opposite is true. Divorce rates just so happen to be lower in states that allow gay marriage.

Studies seem to support the idea that those with a higher education tend to be more accepting of others who aren't like them, and also are able to sustain their wedding vows.

So apparently the gays haven't ruined marriage as we know it, and the sun will still rise tomorrow. Imagine that.

Quote:
According to provisional data from the Census Bureau and the Centers for Disease Control's National Vital Statistics System, 5 of the 10 states, plus the District of Columbia, with the lowest divorce rates per thousand people (of the 44 states, plus D.C., that had available data) are also among the nine jurisdictions (a group that includes eight states and the District of Columbia) that currently perform or recognize gay marriages.
Quote:
According to D'Vera Cohn, a senior writer at the Pew Research Center, there is a link between education, marriage age, and divorce rates. "From what I understand from the research, people who take the time and have the discipline to complete a college degree or more advanced education--those personality traits are also useful in sustaining a marriage," she says.

Divorce Rates Lower in States with Same-Sex Marriage - Yahoo! News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 PM

2,490 posts, read 4,154,735 times
Yes because the states that allow homosexual marriage have lower marriage rates which result in lower divorce rates. But the divorce ratio to the marriage rate is still high.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:01 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,105,700 times
Regardless of what the divorce rate is any given state, I believe gay people should have the right to legally marry the person they love.

I am for Marriage Equality.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 PM

9,986 posts, read 13,076,960 times
The study does mention the divorce ratio, and it is still lower in the gay marriage states. College educated people who marry later in life have lower divorce rates, the gay story is just correlated with more liberal, educated populations. But it throws cold water on the notion that gays ruin straight marriages.

This is my take for my socially conservative friends. Get married later, and maybe go to college. Your marriage will be more likely to last. I know so many people who marry in their early 20s, and few marriages survive. One changes too much at that age. Just common sense. And wear a raincoat until you tie the knot!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,273,285 times
I live in Iowa, a gay marriage state, and have not been affected one way or another from it. It makes no difference to me, it's not my business. It shouldn't be the governments business either.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 AM

77,804 posts, read 97,812,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Well we've heard the argument for a while now: That gays getting hitched will ultimately destroy what we traditional know as marriage. As it turns out the exact opposite is true. Divorce rates just so happen to be lower in states that allow gay marriage.

Studies seem to support the idea that those with a higher education tend to be more accepting of others who aren't like them, and also are able to sustain their wedding vows.

So apparently the gays haven't ruined marriage as we know it, and the sun will still rise tomorrow. Imagine that.

Divorce Rates Lower in States with Same-Sex Marriage - Yahoo! News
what does one have to do with the other?

Nita

Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,325,898 times
Same-gender marriage hasn't been around long enough to really affect anything, has it?

Having said that, I'd love to see some statistics on how many people are getting married compared to other states that don't allow same-gender marriage. Good or bad, divorce rates might be lower if people never get married.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 AM

4,297 posts, read 4,195,191 times
During times of depression/recession - people opt to work things out and stay married. That is what is driving down the divorce rate in ALL states.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,325,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
During times of depression/recession - people opt to work things out and stay married. That is what is driving down the divorce rate in ALL states.
That's probably true. I know I've heard it said that people are not divorcing because it costs too much.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM

4,384 posts, read 5,764,713 times
I can't find the link but last year it was revealed that MA had the lower divorce rate in the nation. I think it's because more educated people don't feel the pressure to get married and are more likely to live together before doing so. If they split up, there's no legal paperwork to worry about. The states that allow same sex marriage are more likely to fall in this category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies