Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:59 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
How about dog food? How long does a can of dog food last in storage?
5 years.

Thankfully, canned ham last 4.

There's other seeds that last but they don't tell you what to do in the interim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I don't know, but I ate a lot of really old C-rations in 'Nam.

Pork slices in Juices.
Scrambled eggs (yes, canned scambled eggs. Don'task).
Franks and beans. Kind of.

Good lord.
I lov... errrr... like you guys...

People who know how to sacrifice for the common cause, willingly.

Says more about the integrity of y'all than any liberal could dictate through taxes and policy changes.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:06 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I lov... errrr... like you guys...

People who know how to sacrifice for the common cause, willingly.

Says more about the integrity of y'all than any liberal could dictate through taxes and policy changes.
Thanks for the thought. All it cost me was a year and a bunch of bad memories, though.

A whole lot of other guys made REAL sacrifices, including the ultimate one. And some of them were liberals, as you know...

Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 AM

Yeah, that's the ironic part. Some people gave all and didn't even have to show their political cards....

That sentiment will come back soon enough.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:22 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The Donner Party scenario. Let's hope none of us comes to that.
I actually think in severely times there would usually be animals easier to kill, and better eating, than dogs or humans.

Even in an apocalyptic scenario you might find houses that have pet rabbits or birds to eat. And if stranded in the wild the dogs you encounter might be rather vicious or prone to run. A domestic dog wouldn't have the skittishness, so could be lured easy, but I don't know. I just feel liked you'd be better off looking for rabbits or squirrels or birds. In the most dire of situations you might consider insects, spiders, and worms.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I actually think in severely times there would usually be animals easier to kill, and better eating, than dogs or humans.

Even in an apocalyptic scenario you might find houses that have pet rabbits or birds to eat. And if stranded in the wild the dogs you encounter might be rather vicious or prone to run. A domestic dog wouldn't have the skittishness, so could be lured easy, but I don't know. I just feel liked you'd be better off looking for rabbits or squirrels or birds. In the most dire of situations you might consider insects, spiders, and worms.
Now add the fact that there will be 8 billion people on the planet in 2021.

Rabbits aren't going to work.

Nothing will work if something catastrophic happens like a bad growth season. Millions (maybe billions) will die. Each year.

We can use their waster for food though, Solyent Green style.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Damn, you guys are serious!

Have you ever considered vegetables?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:07 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,388 times
You don't have to kill other sentient beings. What if another life form visited earth and started raising us for their food source ? It could happen and it would be logical karma since we do that to others.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I think it's unlikely that we'd be edible to an alien species. They'd likely have different nutrient needs as they'd come from a different world with differing biological history. Although possibly they could eat us the way we chew gum, not for nutrition but just "flavor", but I don't know it seems unlikely somehow. (I did consider it's plausible that salt, water, iron, and zinc could be beneficial to all kinds of species but offhand I see no particular reason where humans would be a better source of that than other animals or vegetables or even rocks. Well except that we're numerous, but I think insects are as or more numerous)

It is a good point though that we're not considering vegetable matter enough in these discussions. Possibly that's because the title does assume meat-eating. Also, and for the record, taking goofy or unlikely scenarios semi-serious is just what I do. It doesn't mean I actually think we'll ever be reduced to eating earthworms or hunting stray dogs or whatever. I just find it interesting to think out unlikely scenarios and sometimes I find it funny. (In this case it's not particularly funny, but there are others where taking an odd thing "serious" is funny to me.)

Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
I find it hard to understand why so many people have problem with eating dog meat.
For people who consumes dog meat, I am pretty positive they do not eat their pet dogs....... Those dogs for consumption are feed just like chicken/pigs/cows( it's not the case in US cuz there's not much need for dog meat I guess..). I just don't get it. Some people go out to shoot animals for fun but consider consumption of dog meat immoral.......
Could someone please explain this? Thanks
You have an EXTREMELY good point here.

However I still think dog meat should rightly be banned. Any other people of different cultures who eat barbaric foods like that and decide to come to the US can either deal with giving up their food of "choice" or suffer the consequences.

They won't get any sympathy from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies