Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:39 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

I ask this as a registered independent who leans to the right. It appears the GOP leadership was asleep during macroeconomic class. In order to close deficits you need a growing economy, an increase in taxes and a decrease in spending. Why is the GOP only focused on one aspect? Why are they so adamant about the wealthy not paying taxes that existed prior to Bush takin office? Will they really throw this country into chaos for ideology? Also where do Cantor's interests really lie with America or Israel? Inquiring minds want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I ask this as a registered independent who leans to the right. It appears the GOP leadership was asleep during macroeconomic class. In order to close deficits you need a growing economy, an increase in taxes and a decrease in spending. Why is the GOP only focused on one aspect? Why are they so adamant about the wealthy not paying taxes that existed prior to Bush takin office? Will they really throw this country into chaos for ideology? Also where do Cantor's interests really lie with America or Israel? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yikes, I think you missed the logic class entirely. Who suggests we do away with taxes?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
It's quite obvious the republicans have only one agenda on their mind and that is to lead us into a complete military industrialized fascist reign. Keep spending like maniacs on the rich, the mega-corporations and the military, while attempting to pay for it by slashing essential plans like medicare, medicaid, social security, etc.. Though it will never even come close to balancing the budget (which they have just proven loud and clear they could care less about anyway). We would keep borrowing from communist China to pay for their outrageous spending, leading us into a fall of liberty and into some kind of 3rd world status of only the mega-wealthy, and the very poor.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,763 times
[quote=EdwardA;19999235]I ask this as a registered independent who leans to the right. It appears the GOP leadership was asleep during macroeconomic class. In order to close deficits you need a growing economy, an increase in taxes and a decrease in spending. Why is the GOP only focused on one aspect? Why are they so adamant about the wealthy not paying taxes that existed prior to Bush takin office? Will they really throw this country into chaos for ideology? Also where do Cantor's interests really lie with America or Israel? Inquiring minds want to know.[/qu

We can adjust revenues by expanding the tax code. In principal many could pay a litlte more if they thought 100% would go toward the deficit. However, there is no track record of anyone in DC doing that. If I pay close to an effective tax rate of close to 50% considering the other taxes I pay, why would would I choose to go up at all - especially with the grose incompetence we have in DC? What abot the 40% plus of those who in essence pay no income tax and recieve many services...that is where I take issue...
No, I would rather say we live within our means, cut programs and then slowly ease into additional revenues to pay down the debt..

If we change the Obama extended tax rates, we should do that for all..not just for high earners...

Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's quite obvious the republicans have only one agenda on their mind and that is to lead us into a complete military industrialized fascist reign. Keep spending like maniacs on the rich, the mega-corporations and the military, while attempting to pay for it by slashing essential plans like medicare, medicaid, social security, etc.. Though it will never even come close to balancing the budget (which they have just proven loud and clear they could care less about anyway). We would keep borrowing from communist China to pay for their outrageous spending, leading us into a fall of liberty and into some kind of 3rd world status of only the mega-wealthy, and the very poor.
Sounds like an opinion from someone on the extreme. We differ on what is an essential program...if someone wants a program let them pay for it..not ask others to pay for it.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Well, seeing how many apparently believe they can 'pray away the gay', perhaps they plan on paying for the military complex by mystical incantation.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
actually i think you are the one that was asleep during the economics classes. what the republicans want to do is grow the economy. you do that by keeping taxes low, especially on the job creators, and you cut unnecessary regulations. this will allow the economy to grow, and increase the tax base, which increases tax revenues. raising taxes slows the economy which reduces the tax base.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Well, they want the poor to pay more, and the rich to pay less. In other words, make the poor pay, and spare those "job creators".

Old 07-13-2011, 11:28 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Also where do Cantor's interests really lie with America or Israel?
Will since your thread is related to US Military expenses, I'll answer in relation to it. Israel gets no funds from the Military budget. All of Israels military funding comes from the USAID budget. Of which 75% of that so called aid MUST be spent with Military related contractors. This translates to $2.25 Billion being funneled back into the US economy into US manufacturing and into US jobs.

Now as to Cantor, he comes from an affluent part of Richmond in VA. The county he lives has not raised personal property taxes in three years and has to deal with Fed and State cuts like everyone else. They reworked the budget to deal with past expenses from before the bubble burst. So it is possible to do things without raising taxes.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
How does the GOP suggest we pay for our military complex without taxes?.
Get rid of Obama. If he quit invading countries and expanding conflicts and stop with the drone attacks everywhere you could pay for your military complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies