Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Advertisements

Then a dollar bill isn't money either. I am not forced to accept it. To me, it has an implied value for some item. Not money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Do you seriously not understand this? Gold has a market value... the US Mint sells gold to interested buyers since...well... it has gold to sell. It brings in money to the government that way. It doesn't mean you can take that gold to Walmart and buy some potato chips with it.

Similarly, a block of cheese has a market value as well. It doesn't mean I can go to a bank and deposit a block of cheese into my account.
Yes, I seriously understand that gold has market value.

The topic is if gold marked as US dollars is not money what is? Ferderal reserve notes that one may have in his/her wallet are not dollars. A debit card is not money. A check is not money.

Rather than being condescending perhaps you'd like to answer the question?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The Federal Reserve controls the "money" in the US..they get to define it and control it's worth and value.
We gave that right away in 1913.
Thank our Congress for doing that.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM

All money is is a agreed upon intermediate of value. Gold serves as that. Since it's not eaten and you don't wipe your *** with it, but rather it's used in the following situation:

Person 1 (you) has item C + gold, want item A
Person 2 has item B, needs item C
Person 3 has item A, needs item B

You can either get item A through Person 2, or simply use your gold to get item A. All three people LOVE gold and accept it as an intermediate (can't think of any sane person who doesn't). You get item A. The only way people won't love gold is if the gov't makes it illegal. Then it's value multiples by 100 very quickly but fewer people are willing to exchange with it out of fear of going to jail.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Do you seriously not understand this? Gold has a market value... the US Mint sells gold to interested buyers since...well... it has gold to sell. It brings in money to the government that way. It doesn't mean you can take that gold to Walmart and buy some potato chips with it.

Similarly, a block of cheese has a market value as well. It doesn't mean I can go to a bank and deposit a block of cheese into my account.
mon·ey

 /ˈmʌni/ Show Spelled [muhn-ee] Show IPA noun, plural mon·eys, mon·ies, adjective
–noun 1. any circulating medium of exchange, including coins, paper money, and demand deposits.

2. paper money.

3. gold, silver, or other metal in pieces of convenient form stamped by public authority and issued as a medium of exchange and measure of value.

Money | Define Money at Dictionary.com

Old 07-13-2011, 12:22 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

YouTube - ‪Ron Paul vs Bernanke: Is Gold Money? - July 13, 2011‬‏

Bernanke Fights Ron Paul In Congress: ‘Gold Isn’t Money’ - Agustino Fontevecchia - Moral Hazard - Forbes

Rep. Ron Paul interviewing Bernake:

If Gold is not money then why does the US Mint currently sell Golden Eagles in dollar denominations? Why did the US used to issue gold pieces with a number of different dollar denominations?

Is Bernake simply making a generalized statement?

If as Bernake notes in the linked video that treasury notes are not money and gold is not money then what specifically qualifies as money?
Bernanke is another bs artist. His philosophies differ now that he's bought and paid for. I almost feel sorry for Bernanke when he gets grilled by Ron Paul. almost

Get ready for QE3 and more misuse of money. Wonder which foreign bank we're gonna bail out next? I hope people wake up before it's too late.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:23 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Free Lakota Bank

Doesn't accept dollars, and doesn't have to either. No law exists forcing anyone to accept dollars as payment.
What's your point? If you want to abandon using dollars, go ahead and feel free to start using gold, et al. for everyday transactions. I'd personally like to see how far you'd get doing that.

It doesn't matter whether or not that specifically is law. What matters is what the population as a whole commonly does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The topic is if gold marked as US dollars is not money what is?
I commonly see dollar values printed on bags of potato chips. If bags of potato chips aren't money, what is?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
[i][b]gold, silver, or other metal in pieces of convenient form stamped by public authority and issued as a medium of exchange and measure of value.
Key phrase bolded. They are not meant as a medium of exchange. Do you think McDonald's is going to accept those for a Happy Meal?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
What's your point? If you want to abandon using dollars, go ahead and feel free to start using gold, et al. for everyday transactions. I'd personally like to see how far you'd get doing that.

It doesn't matter whether or not that specifically is law. What matters is what the population as a whole commonly does.

I commonly see dollar values printed on bags of potato chips. If bags of potato chips aren't money, what is?
I guess a serious discussion was to much to expect.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Key phrase bolded. They are not meant as a medium of exchange. Do you think McDonald's is going to accept those for a Happy Meal?
You give the guy at the counter a 1 ounce gold coin and see if you don't get that happy meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies