Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
I look at the threads and they read:

Liberals have ruined the economy!

Conservatives have ruined the economy!

Gays are all bad!

Anyone who disagrees with the gay lifestyle is mentally ill!

And on and on and on. Its so annoying.

Our constitution was not based on the bible or judeo chritian beliefs. It was based on romeo-greco and English/humanist reforms and laws. The founding fathers were mostly deists, not the zealot christians fundamentalists portray them to be. FACT

However, this country is based a Christian culture and while this should not influence laws at the FEDERAL level, it has a place in America and should be respected just as those who are atheist etc would like to be respected.

The FEDERAL govt. should not ever be legislating on social issues like Gay marriage. There is no part of the constituion that gives them any power to do this. Thus it should be given to the STATES. Idiots on both sides have used this push their agenda on parts of America that don't need or want it.

HOWEVER the states have full right to decide on social issues, if you don't like it, move somewhere else. No one is stopping you.

Liberals keep comparing healthcare to Norway, Sweden, France, Germany, Britain etc. AMERICA IS NOT EVEN CLOSE DEMOGRAPHICALLY TO ANY OF THESE COUNTRIES. None of thes countries are in debt. None of these countries even have A THIRD of our population, a federal run healthcare system like the NHS is absurd.

However, the number of people without insurance is absurd and the cost of health care is often too. ON THE STATE LEVEL, something must be done to create some sort of govt. health system that keeps the population healthy, offers free care, and focuses on PREVENTITIVE care. States compare to Euro countires, the US does not.

We need to raise taxes on certain things. I'm CONSERVATIVE.

However, we need to cut, cut, cut WAY more to get this country in the black.

We don't need:

Dept of Education (Or teachers unions ) SHOULD be regulated on state level

A war on drugs (Its failed and is a waste of money)

Involvement in Afghanistan, Iraq, or Libya. Let them figure it out themselves.

A federal healthcare bereaucracy (You thought the military-indus. complex was big, just wait)

Regulations on small businesses, Obama has screwed over many more than he's helped.

This super PC atttitude about keeping Christianity out of schools but allowing other religions a dispaportionate influence and acceptance in public schools to promote tolerance. All religions treated the same

The influence of lobbies on the political process. This is more a moral problem than anything

We still need:

The EPA, we need to protect nature. However, resticting hunters and anglers, who donate more to conservation than any other group (Ducks Unlimited, CCA) while allowing international fishing corporations to devastate fisheries as the Obama admin. has is stupid. We protect what we love. Hands off.

And make everyone equal, BUT we can name things different things:

Should gay couples have equal rights. YES. Should it be called marriage? ASK THE STATES

Affirmative action should be eliminated

Theres more but I'm rambling...

I like this. I would describe it as a reasonable rant. Well done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Raising taxes on oil companies and corporate jets aren't cuts... your post = fail.
I didn't say they were.

You're understanding of the situation = fail.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
I'll support CincyIU29 for President, but on one condition.

Nominate Cincinatti chili as the national dish.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Surely you're joking. They are on the WRONG side of nearly every issue.

Spending - check.

Deficit - check.

Debt - check.

Drilling - check.

You want to know why?

About 43% of Americans consider themselves conservative. Only 18% of Americans think like you.

Op - this is nothing. Better buckle your seat belt when the 2012 campaign gets rolling.
None of those rate as major issues. And I said Democratic Party, not "liberals" Most people Identify as Democrats, so you can stop being intentionally obtuse.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:

Gays are all bad!

Our constitution was not based on the bible or judeo chritian beliefs. It was based on romeo-greco and English/humanist reforms and laws. The founding fathers were mostly deists, not the zealot christians fundamentalists portray them to be. FACT

However, this country is based a Christian culture and while this should not influence laws at the FEDERAL level, it has a place in America and should be respected just as those who are atheist etc would like to be respected.

The FEDERAL govt. should not ever be legislating on social issues like Gay marriage. There is no part of the constituion that gives them any power to do this. Thus it should be given to the STATES. Idiots on both sides have used this push their agenda on parts of America that don't need or want it.

HOWEVER the states have full right to decide on social issues, if you don't like it, move somewhere else. No one is stopping you.

Liberals keep comparing healthcare to Norway, Sweden, France, Germany, Britain etc. AMERICA IS NOT EVEN CLOSE DEMOGRAPHICALLY TO ANY OF THESE COUNTRIES. None of thes countries are in debt. None of these countries even have A THIRD of our population, a federal run healthcare system like the NHS is absurd.

However, the number of people without insurance is absurd and the cost of health care is often too. ON THE STATE LEVEL, something must be done to create some sort of govt. health system that keeps the population healthy, offers free care, and focuses on PREVENTITIVE care. States compare to Euro countires, the US does not.

We don't need:

A federal healthcare bereaucracy (You thought the military-indus. complex was big, just wait)

Regulations on small businesses, Obama has screwed over many more than he's helped.

This super PC atttitude about keeping Christianity out of schools but allowing other religions a dispaportionate influence and acceptance in public schools to promote tolerance. All religions treated the same

The influence of lobbies on the political process. This is more a moral problem than anything

We still need:

The EPA, we need to protect nature. However, resticting hunters and anglers, who donate more to conservation than any other group (Ducks Unlimited, CCA) while allowing international fishing corporations to devastate fisheries as the Obama admin. has is stupid. We protect what we love. Hands off.

Should gay couples have equal rights. YES. Should it be called marriage? ASK THE STATES

I agree with much of that but you are a little incorrect regarding the states. Even in states, the majority does not have the right to violate the rights of the individual.

Here is an interesting interview regarding this issue.

Constitutional Refuseniks - Reason Magazine

Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I'm sure most gay couples would be fine with it being called civil partnership or civil marriage.

Quote:

Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
You do have to realize most people have had their consent manufactured through cultural hegemony, power imbalances, and astroturfing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Show me a person who complains that "both sides" are equally at fault...And I'll show you someone who doesn't pay close attention to politics.

There isn't a major issue out there where the Democratic Party doesn't stand along side the majority of US citizens.

Only through a very effective propaganda effort is the "middle" now considered by pundits to be ...cutting medicare, cutting social security, not touching defense, and no minor raises in the tax rates of the wealthy.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You do have to realize most people have had their consent manufactured through cultural hegemony, power imbalances, and astroturfing.
You do have to realize that Noam Chomsky is a douche bag?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:

Gays are all bad!

It's difference of opinion. Most of the people posting these threads don't actually back any of it up.

Quote:
Not entirely true. Most of the founders were various Christian. The ones we all known and love the best are notably deists, particularly Franklin, Adams, and Jefferson.

Quote:
It isn't just about laws, but about delivering accurate information. The U.S. is second only to Turkey in number of believers in Creationism in the western world. Providing false and harmful information to your children is hardly a cultural difference. Not to mention Chrisitainity is the number one provayer of human rights "disagreements" as well.

Quote:
The FEDERAL govt. should not ever be legislating on social issues like Gay marriage.
Yes it should. If it didn't, the states would be years behind on civil rights. People would still be enslaved in the south.

Quote:
There is no part of the constituion that gives them any power to do this.
There are a number of ways we can approach it. 14th amendment is one. 13 is another. Article 1 Section 8 is another.

Quote:
Thus it should be given to the STATES. Idiots on both sides have used this push their agenda on parts of America that don't need or want it.
Doesn't actually matter what people want. The Federal Government is the law of the land, what they say cannot be superseded by the states. One of the things that uneqivocally needs to be protected are peoples rights, and those specifically are social issues.

Quote:
Simple can't agree. The states can control many things--the rights of people are not one of them.

Quote:
Liberals keep comparing healthcare to Norway, Sweden, France, Germany, Britain etc. AMERICA IS NOT EVEN CLOSE DEMOGRAPHICALLY TO ANY OF THESE COUNTRIES.
Fine, compare it to Canada. All of the above nations are western nations anyway with similar cultures to are. But Canada? A twin of the U.S., except people tend not to be as dumb.

Quote:
None of thes countries are in debt.
Try again.
List of countries by external debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
None of these countries even have A THIRD of our population, a federal run healthcare system like the NHS is absurd.
Canada. And with less population Or, take the entire EU, which has more people, each nation runs a public health care, and they collectively have less debt than us. Your argument is falling apart.

By funding the states, which turns around and distributes its health plans to its citizens, you'd have an identical system.

Quote:
And the entire EU compares to the U.S., problem solved.

Quote:

We don't need:

We have public school systems, why wouldn't there be an oversight committee for it to set education standards, like the lack of aforementioned creationist propaganda?

Quote:

The difference between an industrial complex that kills and an industrial complex that saves? Besides, the beauracy wouldn't be providing health care, just paying for it.

Quote:
I'll get back to you on this one.

Quote:
Keep all religion out of schools. The difference between what Christianity wants (God created man, not apes!) and what other religions (is it all right if I wear my Jewish star?) is completely difference. One is expression, the other is a cultural monolithism. I think I might have invented a word here.

Quote:
"Public bribery in plain sight." We need special interests groups to lobby the government for people who otherwise wouldn't have a voice. What we need to do is prevent them from pretty much bribing government officials. ZERO dollars can go from special interest groups to government officials. I can handle meetings all day, but any kind of "compensation" should be outlawed to prevent bias.

[/quote]
We still need:

Should gay couples have equal rights. YES. Should it be called marriage? ASK THE STATES[/quote]

Arguing about what to call it is absolutely childish and irrelevant. It's discriminatory to have marriage for straights and civil unions for gays, even if they contain equal rights. People want to defend marriage from religious grounds. Well surprise, gay people are religious too, and to bar them from marrying because they are gay? Rubbish.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:

Gays are all bad!

We don't need:

We still need:

If you think this board is bad now, you should've seen it in summer-fall 2008...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies