Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:44 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,080 times

Advertisements

Great thread OP, I agree with you!

What's ironic is a thread that is anti-partisan is filled with partisan shots. Both parties have unclean hands, so neither is right. Both want control and have ruined things, the only difference is the degree, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 AM

800 posts, read 780,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
It's difference of opinion. Most of the people posting these threads don't actually back any of it up.

Not entirely true. Most of the founders were various Christian. The ones we all known and love the best are notably deists, particularly Franklin, Adams, and Jefferson.

It isn't just about laws, but about delivering accurate information. The U.S. is second only to Turkey in number of believers in Creationism in the western world. Providing false and harmful information to your children is hardly a cultural difference. Not to mention Chrisitainity is the number one provayer of human rights "disagreements" as well.

Yes it should. If it didn't, the states would be years behind on civil rights. People would still be enslaved in the south.

There are a number of ways we can approach it. 14th amendment is one. 13 is another. Article 1 Section 8 is another.

Doesn't actually matter what people want. The Federal Government is the law of the land, what they say cannot be superseded by the states. One of the things that uneqivocally needs to be protected are peoples rights, and those specifically are social issues.

Simple can't agree. The states can control many things--the rights of people are not one of them.

Fine, compare it to Canada. All of the above nations are western nations anyway with similar cultures to are. But Canada? A twin of the U.S., except people tend not to be as dumb.

Try again.
List of countries by external debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canada. And with less population Or, take the entire EU, which has more people, each nation runs a public health care, and they collectively have less debt than us. Your argument is falling apart.

By funding the states, which turns around and distributes its health plans to its citizens, you'd have an identical system.

And the entire EU compares to the U.S., problem solved.

We have public school systems, why wouldn't there be an oversight committee for it to set education standards, like the lack of aforementioned creationist propaganda?

The difference between an industrial complex that kills and an industrial complex that saves? Besides, the beauracy wouldn't be providing health care, just paying for it.

I'll get back to you on this one.

Keep all religion out of schools. The difference between what Christianity wants (God created man, not apes!) and what other religions (is it all right if I wear my Jewish star?) is completely difference. One is expression, the other is a cultural monolithism. I think I might have invented a word here.

"Public bribery in plain sight." We need special interests groups to lobby the government for people who otherwise wouldn't have a voice. What we need to do is prevent them from pretty much bribing government officials. ZERO dollars can go from special interest groups to government officials. I can handle meetings all day, but any kind of "compensation" should be outlawed to prevent bias.
We still need:

The EPA, we need to protect nature. However, resticting hunters and anglers, who donate more to conservation than any other group (Ducks Unlimited, CCA) while allowing international fishing corporations to devastate fisheries as the Obama admin. has is stupid. We protect what we love. Hands off.

And make everyone equal, BUT we can name things different things:

Should gay couples have equal rights. YES. Should it be called marriage? ASK THE STATES[/quote]

Arguing about what to call it is absolutely childish and irrelevant. It's discriminatory to have marriage for straights and civil unions for gays, even if they contain equal rights. People want to defend marriage from religious grounds. Well surprise, gay people are religious too, and to bar them from marrying because they are gay? Rubbish.[/quote]

Just because your interpretation of states rights is different than mine does not make either wrong. You have a rather loose interpretation of the constitution, I have a rather strict one. To each their own

There would be a lot less problems in this country if states rights were given more creedence. Mississippi and Alabama have a much different culture than Washington and Oregon who have a different culture than Ohio and Indiana etc. You seem to think all states should have the same culture because you beleive your views are simply better or more "intelligent" than others, however this is a very diverse nation and states have a right to have their own culture. Whether what they do is wrong or right you can judge in your own opinion, but you should remember that what makes your right right might make your right a wrong somewhere else. Thats the beauty of this country.

Comparing the US to the EU though seriously

Before you go off that I have no experience with this matter my mothers side of the family is from Norway. One of my best friends lives in Belguim and his family is English/Scottish.

The EU is not a country.

The EU does not have to provide health care or many government functions for its members. Norway provides healthcare to Norwegians not the EU. Same with Sweden, France, Germany etc.

In fact my grandmother likes the US healthcare system much more than her Norwegian one. Once again to each their own.

Single payer health care systems work better in smaller countries by the way...

You should really come down from your ivory tower, wherever that may be, and find the pulse of the people in the country, down South, and farm towns in the Midwest, in family businesses etc. You may thin your worldly but your views seem to show contempt and scorn for those whose ivory towers aren't as lovely as yours.

Likewise those living in the aforementioned areas should come out and see the world and consider views other than those blindly spewed by some self loving fundamentalist demagogue

Old 07-14-2011, 08:30 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,989,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

There isn't a major issue out there where the Democratic Party doesn't stand along side the majority of US citizens.
So are you saying that the Democrats support repealing Obamacare?

Health Care Law - Rasmussen Reports™

Old 07-14-2011, 08:52 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,500,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Just because your interpretation of states rights is different than mine does not make either wrong. You have a rather loose interpretation of the constitution, I have a rather strict one. To each their own.
There are undoubtedly very clear restrictions, like the fact laws of the federal government supersede laws of states. The Constitution has a precedent of protecting human rights. Suddenly deciding it's a state's decision to protect human rights?

Quote:
There would be a lot less problems in this country if states rights were given more creedence. Mississippi and Alabama have a much different culture than Washington and Oregon who have a different culture than Ohio and Indiana etc.
And individual counties within a state are the same. They have a great amount of power. But you can't sit here and want state control on civil rights issues. The south was afraid they'd lose their precious slaves and started the bloodiest war in American history over it.

Quote:
You seem to think all states should have the same culture because you beleive your views are simply better or more "intelligent" than others,
Creationism is religious dogma. It has no basis in reality nor fact, and should not be taught as part of a public school system. It comes purely from a religious ground, and as such, should be taught from a religious place. Our children need an education, not a fairly tale.

Quote:
however this is a very diverse nation and states have a right to have their own culture. Whether what they do is wrong or right you can judge in your own opinion, but you should remember that what makes your right right might make your right a wrong somewhere else. Thats the beauty of this country.
Within reason. I find it strange to spit on the sidewalk, some people probably don't have a problem with that. Something a little more serious, like disallowing gay people from calling their marriages "marriage" because they are gay? It's purely discriminatory. You'd either have to strip the word "marriage" from the law books, or do a much simpler way, recognize gay marriage. As I stated, gay people are religious too, to deny them the power to call their unions marriages based on some loony-tunes idiocy of the bronze-age is simply discriminatory.

Quote:
Comparing the US to the EU though seriously
You want to compare the States to individual EU nations, the EU has a larger population and similar GDP to the U.S. And some incredible cultural diversity.

Quote:
Before you go off that I have no experience with this matter my mothers side of the family is from Norway. One of my best friends lives in Belguim and his family is English/Scottish.

The EU is not a country.

The EU does not have to provide health care or many government functions for its members. Norway provides healthcare to Norwegians not the EU. Same with Sweden, France, Germany etc.
No, but the all have public health services. If your complain is that the federal government is simply too large to host a public health service, (which I find dubious and lacking evidence), then don't. They can still create the laws to have it, but dolling the funds out to the states as they do now with a number of social programs, is essentially what you are trying to claim.

Quote:
In fact my grandmother likes the US healthcare system much more than her Norwegian one. Once again to each their own.

Single payer health care systems work better in smaller countries by the way...
With no evidence as to why. And don't forget Canada.

Quote:
You should really come down from your ivory tower, wherever that may be, and find the pulse of the people in the country, down South, and farm towns in the Midwest, in family businesses etc. You may thin your worldly but your views seem to show contempt and scorn for those whose ivory towers aren't as lovely as yours.

Likewise those living in the aforementioned areas should come out and see the world and consider views other than those blindly spewed by some self loving fundamentalist demagogue
This ivory tower is merely a pedestal upon which 25% of the population already stands. People are remarkably stupid, someone needs to actually see where they are going or they will walk themselves off a cliff.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:31 AM

800 posts, read 780,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
There are undoubtedly very clear restrictions, like the fact laws of the federal government supersede laws of states. The Constitution has a precedent of protecting human rights. Suddenly deciding it's a state's decision to protect human rights?

And individual counties within a state are the same. They have a great amount of power. But you can't sit here and want state control on civil rights issues. The south was afraid they'd lose their precious slaves and started the bloodiest war in American history over it.

Creationism is religious dogma. It has no basis in reality nor fact, and should not be taught as part of a public school system. It comes purely from a religious ground, and as such, should be taught from a religious place. Our children need an education, not a fairly tale.

Within reason. I find it strange to spit on the sidewalk, some people probably don't have a problem with that. Something a little more serious, like disallowing gay people from calling their marriages "marriage" because they are gay? It's purely discriminatory. You'd either have to strip the word "marriage" from the law books, or do a much simpler way, recognize gay marriage. As I stated, gay people are religious too, to deny them the power to call their unions marriages based on some loony-tunes idiocy of the bronze-age is simply discriminatory.

You want to compare the States to individual EU nations, the EU has a larger population and similar GDP to the U.S. And some incredible cultural diversity.

No, but the all have public health services. If your complain is that the federal government is simply too large to host a public health service, (which I find dubious and lacking evidence), then don't. They can still create the laws to have it, but dolling the funds out to the states as they do now with a number of social programs, is essentially what you are trying to claim.

With no evidence as to why. And don't forget Canada.

This ivory tower is merely a pedestal upon which 25% of the population already stands. People are remarkably stupid, someone needs to actually see where they are going or they will walk themselves off a cliff.

My grandmother's father died of cancer, because he was older he was delayed coverage due to the need to treat younger people. Because of the wait he died, he probably would've lived had he lived here my grandmother says.

Social Healthcare isn't everything a Michael Moore film makes out to be, though there are many good things about it.

Canada's population isn't even close to ours. I wasn't talking about land mass

Culturalism isn't a religous dogma. I have the ability to love and appreciate differences in culture. I suppose you want everyone to be the same

People in Indiana no matter what you do will always love Hoosier basketball.

People in Alabama will always love football on Saturday's in the South and all the awesome tradition that comes with it.

California will always love its free wheeling and beach culture.

And New York and New Jersey will always be New York and New Jersey.

No matter where you go in this country you will find idfferences and these differences, besides making our country fascinating, is one of my favorite things and makes us stronger. You can't take any of the things I mentioned away from these places. They won't want it. You should go move to Europe, though I doubt you'll find what you think there either, many of those countires are intensely regional and cultural too, but you probably glossed over that. The old firm? Catalonia v. Spain? N and S Italy?

Anyways the reason I love this country is all of the interesting cultures and differnces all the places the US comprises of is amazing. And while I may not agree with everyone on everything, the fact that that is the case is the beauty of this country.

And your last statement about once again being smarter than everyone who isn't an intellectual is a perfect example of what I'm talking about and makes just as ignorant as all those you claim to be ignorant.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:46 AM

24,384 posts, read 23,032,988 times
All the gay threads are just a diversion to try to be divisive and to get the board hijacked so we don't discuss the REAL issues about the economy, spending, jobs, etc. Not too long ago it was threads about racism and discrimination. Just ignore any thread that really isn't relevant or a front burner issue.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,969,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So are you saying that the Democrats support repealing Obamacare?

Health Care Law - Rasmussen Reports™
I'm saying that's not a national priority. And you might want to take a look at who voters trust on health care.

Priorities

Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I'm saying that's not a national priority. And you might want to take a look at who voters trust on health care.

Priorities
This first poll shows what people listed at their TOP priority. Just because someone lists something else as a top priority does not make the #2 or #3 choices a "minor issue." The fact that health care is even on this list makes it a major issue, even if the majority list something else as their first priority. Of course we have no way of knowing how many would list health care as a #2 or #3 priority. At any rate, the Democrats, led by Nancy "let's get this bill passed so we can see what's inside it" Pelosi certainly were not standing with the majority of U.S. Citizens when they pushed the bill through.

Health Care Reform - Rasmussen Reports™

Perhaps you will retract your statement now that you've been proven wrong?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:35 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,969,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
This first poll shows what people listed at their TOP priority. Just because someone lists something else as a top priority does not make the #2 or #3 choices a "minor issue." The fact that health care is even on this list makes it a major issue, even if the majority list something else as their first priority. Of course we have no way of knowing how many would list health care as a #2 or #3 priority. At any rate, the Democrats, led by Nancy "let's get this bill passed so we can see what's inside it" Pelosi certainly were not standing with the majority of U.S. Citizens when they pushed the bill through.

Health Care Reform - Rasmussen Reports™

Perhaps you will retract your statement now that you've been proven wrong?
No. You don't get to swap out the Healthcare category....for one single Health Care Reform bill.. Sorry. it's a lot more complicated than that.

Americans are telling you who they trust more on healthcare and it a happens to be the Party that voted for the that healthcare bill.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM

Didn't think so. You're a company guy. Blue-state blinders on. To each his own, I suppose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies