Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
trust me.
I would rather that you put forth a sound, factual, and supported economic argument. Do you have one or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:16 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Well first of all, firing a bunch of federal employees isn't going to lead to a tax reduction to begin with. Wage and benefit costs for current workers aren't nearly enough of the budget to close the existing deficit, let alone save so much money that we'd be running a surplus that could lead to significant cuts in taxation.

So at the very outset, the idea that these firings would lead to tax cuts has no basis. And that kind of sends the rest of the plan flying apart.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Don't EVER post this again to this forum, if you aren't expelled by the far left moderators, then the far left psychotics will mercilessly attack you personally for posting such punishing facts.
Being on the far left, and having been sanctioned by the moderators on more than one occasion, this argument is about as factual as any other that you have posted so far.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Being on the far left, and having been sanctioned by the moderators on more than one occasion, this argument is about as factual as any other that you have posted so far.
LOL, at least you admitted to being a far left extremist, that's a GIANT leap forward.

Most far leftists actually believe they are "centrists"...

And as expected, you are unable to counter with points or facts my posts, all you can do is personally attack....yawn....

Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Private sector jobs are more sustainable and more productive then government jobs so in the long term the private sector will recover all the lost jobs.
I find the disconnect in understanding the relationship of 60 years of publicly funded research and impetus, and private sector innovation stunning ignorant.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
LOL, at least you admitted to being a far left extremist, that's a GIANT leap forward.
Besides your inability to understand a rhetorical flourish, I hasten to point out that the "extremist" description is your own personal editorial addition.

Quote:
And as expected, you are unable to counter with points or facts my posts, all you can do is personally attack....yawn....
Personal attack, what would that be, I've asked for facts which you and others have steadfastly declined to provide, perhaps the purchase of a mirror is in order?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Corporations are not doing the hiring, and have not been the leaders in hiring in at least 13 years. Firms with less than 500 employees have been driving job growth and continue to do so today while corporations hoard cash (courtesy of QE2 and soon to be QE3).
So you need 4,000 private business (2 million divided by 500) to step up to the plate, and since on 2% of all small business owners make more than $250,000 per year and thus unaffected by allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire, where does your 2,000,000 jobs materialize from when you are granting tax cuts to business owners who have already had their taxes reduced?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:43 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,660 times
Quote:
Do you understand what an economy is?

If they are just pushing dividends back into the hands of the shareholders - who are those shareholders?

Could any of them be small business owners who have lots of GE shares, who could then turn around and put those dividends back into their businesses?

Or could they be retirees or general consumers who would then in turn spend the dividends on products, driving up demand?

Naahh......
Yes, you hit the nail on the head. Who are the shareholders of these companies? Who owns the largest blocks of these companies? Is it you?

No, of course not, its the CEO's and executives of these companies. They get them when they get hired by the company. Duhhhhh...

Among 2010's big winners:
•Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz exercised options worth $24.7 million. That's on top of compensation valued at $21.7 million. 2010 total: $46.4 million.
• CVS Caremark CEO Thomas Ryan made $28.2 million exercising options. That's on top of pay, stock, perks and compensation worth $15.5 million. Ryan also got company stock promised earlier that was worth $22 million. Value of Ryan's 2010 compensation: $65.7 million.
•Gilead Sciences CEO John Martin gained $35.8 million. That's on top of compensation valued at $14.2 million. His 2010 total: $50 million.
•Allergan CEO David Pyott made $30.6 million. The drug marketer valued Pyott's cash, stock, incentive pay, perks and other compensation at $11.1 million. Pyott's 2010 total: $41.7 million.
•Yum Brands CEO David Novak took in $22.7 million. The fast-food operator said Novak also got cash, incentive pay, perks and other compensation worth $12.6 million, bringing his 2010 total to $35.3 million.
• Paul Saville, CEO of homebuilder NVR got $21.7 million. That's on top of pay valued at $30.8 million. 2010 total: $52.5 million.
• Joseph Tucci, CEO of EMC: $20.2 million. The tech firm valued his other pay, including cash and stock, at $12.4 million. 2010 total: $32.6 million.
Compensation consultant Bruce Ellig says execs who sell stock after exercising underlying options aren't sharing the best interests of long-term shareholders. "They should hold shares until they retire," says Ellig, author of The Complete Guide to Executive Compensation. "When they do that, they are connecting with shareholders.
Still, big options gains could accelerate. Wall Street's rebound has also boosted the value of options issued at post-crash prices in 2008 and 2009.
Says Lehigh University finance professor Paul Brockman, "If I were concerned about future market movements or with increasing tax rates, I might want to take my money now."

So the formula is:

Find a way to pay no taxes + Cut a lot of jobs and since there are no unions anymore we can squeeze the workers dry lets have them work a 70-80 hour work week=big profits.

Big profits on the balance sheet=raise in stocks.

Raise in stocks=lots of profit for me.

Lots of profit for me=I sell my stocks when I know something is up or the company is about to show a loss=my investors get screwed.

My investors get screwed=I walk away from the company with millions of untaxed income (thanks to a cut in the taxes on dividends, etc.) and I go to another company, meanwhile I still have cut jobs and hurt the american economy, but that's ok.....thats how the unregulated system is supposed to work

Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Yes, you hit the nail on the head. Who are the shareholders of these companies? Who owns the largest blocks of these companies? Is it you?...My investors get screwed=I walk away from the company with millions of untaxed income (thanks to a cut in the taxes on dividends, etc.) and I go to another company, meanwhile I still have cut jobs and hurt the american economy, but that's ok.....thats how the unregulated system is supposed to work
Those of intelligence who know me are aware i detest large companies a great deal. That said, I detest big government more, and public employees the most.

I would be happy to address the issues of corporate greed in another thread; it is NOT the topic of this one.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:01 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Those of intelligence who know me are aware i detest large companies a great deal. That said, I detest big government more, and public employees the most.

I would be happy to address the issues of corporate greed in another thread; it is NOT the topic of this one.
I'm a public employee. What have I done to you? I am a pretty typical middle class dude. Love my wife, love my kid, buy stuff at the local store, and earn a salary well under my 24 years of education, pay my taxes, etc. But I love this country, and I enjoy serving. How does that compare to the CEO sleaze listed upthread. They destroy the companies they work for, and gut the American economy in the process and earn obscene fortunes in the process. I have never met a government employee who does anything like that. Most work very hard for modest pay. I know hundreds of them, and they are pretty impressive in my agency at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies