Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Yeah, I know this is a joke thread (too silly otherwise) but sadly for every joke...some people really believe it.

There was a maintenance guy at the apartment complex I live at who was really nice, but really crankish about anyone "taking away his guns". When the repubs got into the house, and didn't summarily (and illegally) kick out the elected democrats he quit and bought a 50 acre farm out of town. He stated he would defend his farm from any "thieves or authority"...like the 1 million people in town, the police, the national guard and the army. Then stated when he won, he would enjoy the produce he grew with his own hand.

It was so silly, but I didn't say a word. Best not to question lunacy like that.
I wonder how many conservatives in this country are like that guy. You know this board has a few, I personally am friends with people who have this mindset, so I'm guessing there are millions more like this. I've learned you can get along fine with these people if you avoid discussing politics altogether.

Those are people who you listen to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
It's based upon the things rednecks believe. What's the challenge to convince e redneck that someone is a commie? Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, etc, and Fox News does it all the time, and the rednecks just eat it all up. Besides, rednecks are always paranoid and angry, the perfect combination to induce suspicion. Like an ox; it's big and strong, but not too bright.
They believe that being handy with a gun is the cure for everything - just like on this thread.
Living in the country and being the stereotype you mention are quite different things. Not once have I mentioned skill with arms as being relavent or touted political pundits or ideology as any thing. If this indeed be your view and take on my lifestyle and this is what you truly believe rural life to be like far be it from me to disuade you. Just remember....underestimating folks can be dangerous when its for real. Smack talk online is all fun n games....but it don't amount to a rat turd in a whirlwind in the grand scheme. Think ill just stay where im at...being a redneck don't seem all that bad from where im sittin.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:29 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
First of they can spell "their".
Secondly, you ASSUME everyone in the country is a conservative redneck, it is obvious you do not know those around you very well, that is if you even live in the country. Here in the country in my neck of the woods of Texas (don't let the handle fool ya, I am not in Dallas) there are plenty of what you would call liberals living out here and guess what buckaroo they all can shoot just fine. Assuming only makes one look foolish or didn't your momma teach ya that lesson.
Casper
That is as erroneous as believing the military is redneck. I live on the Mexican border at Ft Huachuca, our Congressperson is Gabby Giffords and the only rightwingers are retirees. Bisbee is the Berkeley of Arizona.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default ARRRRRRRRRGH !!! Dat Bunch Jest Ain't Got Ah Lick Ah Sense" ... Quite !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Rednecks can cope with whatever disaster comes their way. It does not matter if it is natural or man-made. They will always have food, water, and shelter. When rednecks are facing a disaster, they stay put. They have no reason to go anywhere.

The first thing city critters do when facing a disaster is leave. However, the ONLY place they can go is yet another city because they are incapable of providing for themselves. It is more than just a lack of skill, they are so removed from reality that they lack all common sense. Like Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend who thought it would be "fun" to walk up and be promptly eaten by brown bears in Alaska.

If you put a redneck and some city critter with a PhD in a survival situation, where they only had access to their wits, the city critter would be dead within a week whereas the redneck would be living it large.
Glitch !!! ... Precisely !

Alrighty Now ... We got us a whole heap ah mighty fine "Red Neck Biker Gals" dat rides wiff us on da weekends ah way, way up ere on tha ole East Coast Township !!! Oh Give Me, give me , give me ah Red Neck Girl ..... My Oh My !!!

You be right thar Glitch ... A Good Ole Redneck will sho as hail survive ... an bust a few chops also if need be !!! HARRRRRRRRRR ! This bunch up ere sho do knows bout dat stuff on ah Saturday nite !!!

Ere Now Mates ... How many of dem ole whiny city critters do it take ta change ah dang light bulb anywho ??? What !

Ta Ta / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 07-14-2011, 01:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I'd just point out that farming without the aid of oil or gasoline or using chemical fertilizers is not easy work.
That is most certainly true. Not impossible, just extremely difficult, back-breaking labor. It is also a necessity if you want to live, but do not have access to those "amenities."

Quote:
And if everyone has to go harvest deer or elk or bear from the forest to eat, those animals are going to be extinct fairly quickly.
I have been hunting and fishing for over 40 years without endangering any species with extinction. Funny thing about critters, they have a tendency to reproduce.

Quote:
There is a big difference between living an American "country" lifestyle (which is highly dependent upon modern tools and machinery and vehicles) and living a "rustic" lifestyle. How many people even know how to use hand-tools to build a wagon-wheel anymore?
I do not know about wagon-wheels, but I have built and help build my share of cabins by hand. Everything from debarking logs using draw-blades and shaping logs with an adze, to drilling holes with a hand drill. Once you get off the road system, electricity, gasoline, and other sources of power (other than muscle power of course) are difficult to come by.

However, I agree with you that the vast majority have become so dependent upon cheap power that we have lost much of the skills we used to have just a century ago.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Well it's the city slickers that run the economy that gets the "dumb rednecks" their cheap Walmart processed foods and XXXL Chinese clothes. Do you think half of these people in trailers cooking meth in the country know anything about subsistence farming and feeding themselves besides carting their fat asses to the Sonic?

Last edited by brattpowered; 07-14-2011 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
I have been hunting and fishing for over 40 years without endangering any species with extinction.
The percentage of Americans who hunt mammals is surprisingly small. It's tough to calculate precisely, but it's almost certainly no more than 12-15% in any given year. And many of them aren't doing it for food.

Imagine multiplying that figure by three or four, and increasing the amount that each hunter attempts to take.

You're going to slam into a production wall fairly quickly. On the other hand, the livestock-rustling industry will get a lot more competitive. There were reports from Iraq of animal rustlers dropping mortar shells on farmer's houses from thousands of yards away in order to neutralize their ability to shoot back. Could get interesting.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnik View Post
You dumb rednecks can continue to interbreed and stay away from the cities.

It's the disturbed that we fear, because they can buy huge ammo clips legally.
This "redneck" will be glad to stay away from the city.

I can't handle the smell.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
The percentage of Americans who hunt mammals is surprisingly small. It's tough to calculate precisely, but it's almost certainly no more than 12-15% in any given year. And many of them aren't doing it for food.
The very first rule my father taught me about hunting was "if you shoot it, you eat it." I was 8 years old at the time. I still live by that rule today, 49 years later, and I live in a State that also lives by that same rule. Even sport hunters are required by law to salvage the meat from their game. They can give it away, if they want, but the meat must be recovered.

Quote:
Imagine multiplying that figure by three or four, and increasing the amount that each hunter attempts to take.

You're going to slam into a production wall fairly quickly. On the other hand, the livestock-rustling industry will get a lot more competitive. There were reports from Iraq of animal rustlers dropping mortar shells on farmer's houses from thousands of yards away in order to neutralize their ability to shoot back. Could get interesting.
There are two kinds of hunters: 1) the casual hunter who does not need to hunt to survive, but does so to supplement their existing food supply, or for sport; and 2) someone who has to hunt, because their very survival depends upon it. I fall into the first category, but there are many in Alaska that fall into the second category.

The biggest problem those hunters in the second category encounter is not man-made. Competition from other critters, like wolves and other predatory critters, can decimate an area of its game far faster than any human. There are familes on the verge of starvation because of an over-population of wolves in certain areas of Alaska. Eventually the wolves will reach a point where there is no more game and they will also begin to starve until they once again reach more managable numbers. That is how nature works. The real trick is keeping them from reaching those unsustainable numbers in the first place.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Well it's the city slickers that run the economy that gets the "dumb rednecks" their cheap Walmart processed foods and XXXL Chinese clothes. Do you think half of these people in trailers cooking meth in the country know anything about subsistence farming and feeding themselves besides carting their fat asses to the Sonic?
Hummmm......I am a Prada girl myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies