Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:55 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
There are more than just black and white. Stop acting racist, and explain why people are stampeding for hand outs. Fully capable people, I mean. Stop bring up race. Race has nothing to do with this thread.
Scouts Out.
Yes, why don't you stop bringing up race, that would be nice for a change.

I heard an idiot the other day saying that sec.8 were "hand outs", and I asked if , " if the average percentage towards rent or a mortgage should ideally be between 30 to 40% of your pay and these poor people are usually paying double that, would they not be idiots if they turned down the chance to rent a place to live and pay the same percentage towards rent as a majority of everyone else.

He ended up looking as idiotic as your reply.

Secondly, yes I saw plenty of able bodied people running, I'm just not going to assume that none of them had jobs, which is another idiotic assumption to make.

"Race has nothing to do with this thread"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
It is a sad sign of the times when posters on this board think savage behavior is OK. Since when did the poor get a pass from being civil?
I totally agree...look at these fools!!!
Doing all this running just for a place to live, didn't they have one before they got there??..

The next instant we were in a crash of vehicles whizzing past us like a calamity...
The Oklahoma Land Rush of 1893

Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I totally agree...look at these fools!!!
Doing all this running just for a place to live, didn't they have one before they got there??..

The next instant we were in a crash of vehicles whizzing past us like a calamity...
What a pathetic analogy. Rushing for land that would have to be built up by scratch into a viable farm or homestead is somewhat different then running for applications so the government may pay your rent indefinitely.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, why don't you stop bringing up race, that would be nice for a change.

I heard an idiot the other day saying that sec.8 were "hand outs", and I asked if , " if the average percentage towards rent or a mortgage should ideally be between 30 to 40% of your pay and these poor people are usually paying double that, would they not be idiots if they turned down the chance to rent a place to live and pay the same percentage towards rent as a majority of everyone else.

He ended up looking as idiotic as your reply.

Secondly, yes I saw plenty of able bodied people running, I'm just not going to assume that none of them had jobs, which is another idiotic assumption to make.

"Race has nothing to do with this thread"...
We're not saying they are idiots for taking just that the government is idiotic for offering the program in the first place.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What a pathetic analogy. Rushing for land that would have to be built up by scratch into a viable farm or homestead is somewhat different then running for applications so the government may pay your rent indefinitely.
I understand English and analogy is a difficult concept for you so here's some help.

First , the section 8 applicants will be paying their rent at the percentage that most middle class families pay, 30% to 40%. The government will subsidize the remainder. So please stop with the ignorant rant that the government is paying their rent.

On March 23, 1889, the U.S. Congress authorized President Benjamin Harrison to proclaim the two-million-acre region of Oklahoma open for settlement. Following the provision of the 1862 Homestead Act, any citizen over age 21 (and head of a family) could claim up to 160 acres of available, surveyed public land. Those settlers that lived on the claim for five years and made the required improvements would then be given the title to the land.

The U.S. government gave land away FOR FREE to these settlers, and they received five years on that land tax free, FROM THR GOVERNMENT.

These people were given time to build wealth, equity, and make improvements to land for which they paid nothing to purchase it or pay taxes on it for five years.

We won't even address the underhanded thievery of the "sooners" who snuck in under cover of darkness to lay claim to land they had no right to, in other words they were land thieves.

So when you come sniveling around again about hand outs and the government giving things to people, know a little history.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I understand English and analogy is a difficult concept for you so here's some help.

First , the section 8 applicants will be paying their rent at the percentage that most middle class families pay, 30% to 40%. The government will subsidize the remainder. So please stop with the ignorant rant that the government is paying their rent.

On March 23, 1889, the U.S. Congress authorized President Benjamin Harrison to proclaim the two-million-acre region of Oklahoma open for settlement. Following the provision of the 1862 Homestead Act, any citizen over age 21 (and head of a family) could claim up to 160 acres of available, surveyed public land. Those settlers that lived on the claim for five years and made the required improvements would then be given the title to the land.

The U.S. government gave land away FOR FREE to these settlers, and they received five years on that land tax free, FROM THR GOVERNMENT.

These people were given time to build wealth, equity, and make improvements to land for which they paid nothing to purchase it or pay taxes on it for five years.

We won't even address the underhanded thievery of the "sooners" who snuck in under cover of darkness to lay claim to land they had no right to, in other words they were land thieves.

So when you come sniveling around again about hand outs and the government giving things to people, know a little history.
You'll never get it. The land would be nothing without their sweat equity. These folks just want a free ride you can slice it and dice it anyway you want.

Since you are bringing up irrelevant historical facts from over 120 years ago. I would like to point out that the passage in bold makes no allusion to a racial requirement. Were blacks not allowed to settle these lands?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:

Good point. I never thought of it that way. The hometead act and the Oklahoma land rush were technically massive government handouts. Sure, the homesteaders worked the land and made it prosperous, but you can't fault them for taking the government up on its offer for free land.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:54 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Great so Obama put us into more debt funding nonsense such as this fair.
Sorry that attempting to mitigate the unemployment problem among the demographic with the highest unemployment rate in the nation somehow strikes you as a waste of time and money. Such an opinion tells us everything we need to know about you.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
You'll never get it. The land would be nothing without their sweat equity. These folks just want a free ride you can slice it and dice it anyway you want.

Since you are bringing up irrelevant historical facts from over 120 years ago. I would like to point out that the passage in bold makes no allusion to a racial requirement. Were blacks not allowed to settle these lands?
As I thought, it's lost on you.

Let's take apart your next illogical line of reasoning.

Quote:
The land would be nothing without their sweat equity. These folks just want a free ride you can slice it and dice it anyway you want.
I see you still have comprehension problems, please show us one link or article that asserts that section 8 people live for FREE???..any article please, if you can't produce it will you stop the conservative claptrap??!!

Maybe you don't know the true meaning of sweat equity, therefore I excuse the ignorant assertion that none of those people trying to get a voucher could possibly have invested any sweat equity where they live.

No where in my post did I state that a racial requirement was necessary to own a plot of land, the article merely pointed out that just as the haters won't to call the "stampede" uncivilized, barbaric, etc. The same behavior was manifested a hundred fold when FREE land was offered for the taking.

Further, if you knew anything about the history of this country you would know that that land was occupied by native Americans and blacks, who were told to get off that land, it was being predominately handed over to whites.

Carry on!!!

Last edited by reconmark; 07-17-2011 at 09:41 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 01:12 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:

Better Sooner than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies