Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
NYC used to be covered in blank soot, and LA air was unbreathable. Yep, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit etc were practically unlivable.
I don't know about New York, but LA instituted regulations on car emissions and green house gases. Damn Nanny state. How dare they try to clean the air that we breath. What were they thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 03:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Libertarian stand...well for the most part. That is what you are advocating. At least it is better than blind trust of corporations. There are a few problems with the libertarian ideology. What if the company is bankrupt out of business etc. and there is no one to sue? Who is responsible for cleanup. What if the company is owned by another country and we can't get them into court. Who would fund the EPA if not the govt.? Private Companies...fox in the henhouse.

Allowing the industries to pollute the air we breathe and the water we drink is NOT libertarian stand. If the factories infringe on the lives of others by pollution, then they violate libertarian ideals.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Sounds like you should be advocating enforcement of govt. regulations. I am on board. Where do I sign.
I absolutely advocate enforcement of governmental regulations, but there is a HUGE difference between supporting current ones, and demanding new ones. If you cant enforce current regulations, and keep granting waivers, what the hells the point in writing newer ones, other than to pick and choose winners/loosers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by katfzl View Post
The EPA can be a private non government entity? You're hilarious. a private firm would put it's own self interests first. The government is supposed to help the people, and be for the people. A private company serves itself, not the greater good. The new Republican party is not the party of Reagan. And to think I used to identify with Libertarians. I can't believe what I read and hear anymore.
No, if the EPA was a private entity, they would run around suing polluters and by serving their own best interest, they actually would be serving the publics by cutting back on polluting.

Private entities sue polluters all the time in the same manner the handicapped sues businesses for not being handicapped accessible. I helped write the legal briefings for a lawsuit against PPG for billions about 15 years ago. I dont know what the outcome was because I wasnt part of that part of the process, but I know the lawsuit was for billions and it was to help force PPG to stop polluting the environment. You dont think being sued for billions of dollars is a deterant?

Old 07-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I don't know about New York, but LA instituted regulations on car emissions and green house gases. Damn Nanny state. How dare they try to clean the air that we breath. What were they thinking.
Ooh please.. again, who objects to clean air? I'm waiting..

Old 07-15-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, it was the money laundering capital of the world, but who told you they did not have regulations regarding buildings and environment?
I didnt say they had no regulations, I said they werent regulated to the point that every moment of every days lives were regulated..

Old 07-15-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I absolutely advocate enforcement of governmental regulations, but there is a HUGE difference between supporting current ones, and demanding new ones.

No, if the EPA was a private entity, they would run around suing polluters and by serving their own best interest, they actually would be serving the publics by cutting back on polluting.

Private entities sue polluters all the time in the same manner the handicapped sues businesses for not being handicapped accessible. I helped write the legal briefings for a lawsuit against PPG for billions about 15 years ago. I dont know what the outcome was because I wasnt part of that part of the process, but I know the lawsuit was for billions. You dont think being sued for billions of dollars is a deterant?
If there is still a business to sue? Look across the river at those empty buildings...who are you going to sue for the pollution under the ground there. They are all gone. There are some businesses that are judgment proof. You can get a judgment, but you will never get paid.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
If there is still a business to sue? Look across the river at those empty buildings...who are you going to sue for the pollution under the ground there. They are all gone.
If they are all gone, then why are you complaining that we need more regulations?

Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
I didnt say they had no regulations, I said they werent regulated to the point that every moment of every days lives were regulated..
No, you didn't say that, but if that is what you meant, then that's cool.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Ooh please.. again, who objects to clean air? I'm waiting..
You are being silly now. No one objects to clear air, but some are not willing to do what is necessary to keep it clean.

As far as you preparing briefs on a legal case. I doubt it, based on your prior posts; you have authored several books, you own an investment company, you own several other companies, but you still find time to entertain us on CD. A CD renaissance man. I guess that is the wonderful thing about being an anonymous poster..You can be anyone that you want to be...you are probably the most interesting man in the world.

‪Dos Equis - The Most Interesting Man In The World‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-15-2011, 03:44 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
This whole thread is based on a false dichotomy - regulation or no regulation.

It really is the type and scope of the regaulations and those who influence and benifit from them that matter. But alas no one seems to discern this and hence the constant BS masses continue to argue with one another while the elitist 'servants' of the public and their corporate bedfellos screw us daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies