Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:08 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
If you mean like civilization dynamism? I don't do those grand scale clash of civilizations predictions.
Okay. But then you have to ask yourself if you don't understand the macro how can you understand the micro?

And honestly the macro is more easily understood than the micro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Okay. But then you have to ask yourself if you don't understand the macro how can you understand the micro?
I don't do the long term at all except with tarot cards I figure for that they are about as accurate as anything else. The short term you can get a pretty good idea of from looking at previous actions and consequences...e.g. if we stop spending money and create barriers to foreign trade every other nation will parrot us and that will be a huge economic disaster.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I don't do the long term at all except with tarot cards I figure for that they are about as accurate as anything else. The short term you can get a pretty good idea of from looking at previous actions and consequences.
Okay, well how about the U.S. going into a depression and its residents not okay with that?

What happens next?

From Austria to Germany and from Germany to Afghanistan and from Afghanistan to.... making up whatever excuse all along.

From one crisis to the next.

Quote:
It would be wrong to think that the Second World War broke out accidentally, or as a result of blunders committed by certain statesmen, although blunders were certainly committed. As a matter of fact, the war broke out as the inevitable result of the development of world economic and political forces on the basis of present-day monopolistic capitalism. Marxists have more than once stated that the capitalist system of world economy contains the elements of a general crisis and military conflicts, that, in view of that, the development of world capitalism in our times does not proceed smoothly and evenly, but through crises and catastrophic wars. The point is that the uneven development of capitalist countries usually leads, in the course of time, to a sharp disturbance of the equilibrium within the world system of capitalism, and that group of capitalist countries regards itself as being less securely provides with raw materials and markets usually attempts to change the situation and to redistribute "spheres of influence" in its own favor -- by employing armed force. As a result of this, the capitalist world is split into two hostile camps, and war breaks out between them.
http://web.mead.k12.wa.us/dstedman/c...in_2worlds.pdf

I take no pride in knowing that.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Okay, well how about the U.S. going into a depression and its residents not okay with that?

What happens next?

From Austria to Germany and from Germany to Afghanistan and from Afghanistan to....

From one crisis to the next.

http://web.mead.k12.wa.us/dstedman/c...in_2worlds.pdf

I take no pride in knowing that.
The problem with that analysis is that back in the 1930s they didn't have nuclear weapons and as a result the stakes in large scale armed conflict were a bit lower. Another problem is that in the 1930s the world powers were more evenly matched military. Nowadays if its the United States vs the World I would bet on the US. Just those two items atomic weapons and a sheer lack of military parity may cause problems for that scenario.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
You were promised change because Obama knew the word "change" could be used as a sucker word.

Do not forgot one other word he used "fundamental".

"Fundamental change". What he meant was he was going to pretend to give you what you want but his plan was to transform, oh yes another one of his sucker words, his transform America meant that he was going to spend us into oblivion and force a majority of American down into a third world country income or no income so far more people will be forced to rely on the government. Then the government will be able to control you life and every decision.

What will his new promise me for 2012?

Any ideas?

Will it be change again or will it be yet another sucker word that means nothing he truly means as he spits it out of his lying mouth?

Change is coming. Obama is gone, liberals are gone from power and America will rid ourselves of the disease that is crippling us. It is called liberalism.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
The problem with that analysis is that back in the 1930s they didn't have nuclear weapons and as a result the stakes in large scale armed conflict were a bit lower. Another problem is that in the 1930s the world powers were more evenly matched military. Nowadays if its the United States vs the World I would bet on the US. Just those two items atomic weapons and a sheer lack of military parity may cause problems for that scenario.
Ummm... with one single nuclear missile well placed the entire U.S. would revert back to the bronze age.

But that's not the point.

We're headed for depression.

You know 30% of our GDP is government spending and that can't continue.

You know that leads to depression.

The first world war started in Austria mainly because of complicated entanglements in the new global economy.

It went from there to Germany where the Cold War began with East versus West "Germany."

It "ended" in Afghanistan where they backed out and we dipped too.

We learned not too long after that how bad of an idea that was.

And where are we now?

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2010/1255/pd...0_1255_map.pdf

Old 07-17-2011, 12:38 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It all has gone to other nations, not reinvested here.

Why do you think we are all broke?
Your right, too much too too much, going to other Nations, when it should be invested right here and now.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:03 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Quote:
The reason we don't have all that much inflation is because of money hoarding. I also have a hard time believing hyper inflation is on the way when we had deflation in 2009 and inflation today is at a lower rate then it was this time in 2008. Once more we don't have inflation rates that are anything close to what happened in the 1970s and 1980s. The thing most people don't understand is that the vast majority of money that exists is bank capital. Essentially it is the money banks make out of thin air when they lend money since they are owed money on the books that may or may not exist and can disappear any time a debtor defaults. Compared to that the Fed is wielding an inflationary pea shooter.
Low inflation have you been to the store lately?

I'am broke by the middle of the month where with Bush i could make it to the end of the month and save some,take my wife out for dinner and cocktails twice a week now we eat at home and have beer in the backyard.

Banks do not print money the FED does out of thin air which makes my buying power weaker.

I have not received a COLA in the three years Obama has been POTUS and PLEASE don't tell me its because he has inflation in check...what a joke.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 PM

That's cost inflation, not real inflation. There's a difference and yes it sucks because some things cost more.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
And we got change..big change. You don't like it ?
Wasn't the change you thought you were going to get ?
It is change nevertheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies