Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Does no one on this forum ever tire of the "us v. them" threads based solely on Dem/Repub or liberal/conservative? There's enough blame for our spending levels to go around, no need to draw lines.
Okay but this program isn't about us versus them. ALL of us who believe more taxes should have to be paid should step up to the plate now and pay whatever amount we think we should be paying but are not. Don't think about them period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But this is a great way to stop the hypocrisy. If you don't believe in more taxes, then you shouldn't contribute but if you do believe in more taxes then you should.

I believe liberals outnumber the conservatives (that's how Obama got elected) and this is an excellent compromise -- they will still get significant more tax revenue if just the liberals contribute.

obama got elected because the country was tired of bush and would have gotten another bush with mccain.

the only real choice for change in 08 was ron paul. at least the people would have known that they would not have gotten another bush ahead of time.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:32 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
One person? Why one? Certainly there is more than just one liberal out there. Why not EVERY liberal? And even those who call themselves conservatives who think the taxes are too low can get in on this.
You see, it's just a talking point to Liberals. "Raise Taxes!!" But in reality they have zero interest in the ideal. If they were so keen on giving the government more money to waste, then they'd go to the website I cited and make a gracious contribution.

I knew what kind of response this thread would draw from the Left. As predicted, they cry and cower and make excuses when called out on the carpet. They neet to put up ($$$$$) or shut up.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:32 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
How about this: Why don't Republicans cut a huge check for the rich corporations that they love so much? After all, they're always hurting for money, and they just might hire someone.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:42 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
How about this: Why don't Republicans cut a huge check for the rich corporations that they love so much? After all, they're always hurting for money, and they just might hire someone.

why not cut all subsidies to all companies and countries, get rid of all tax loopholes and tax breaks and go ahead with a flat tax of 10%.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
OP, you seem to be suffering from a lot of angst, and I am guessing you are feeling a bit trod upon in life. I am sorry for your pain.

I don't agree with your premise statements, however. Personally, I don't think our government programs are a waste, and I am happy to pay my fair share of the taxes to enjoy those programs. In fact, I wish everyone had to -- especially the shrinking percent of our population that is earning the larger percent of our nation's gross income, and pays the smallest percent of the taxes.

Personally, I like having good roads, safe bridges and regulated construction of buildings. It makes me feel safe to know that I don't have to worry about things collapsing under me, as does happen in countries where there are not government controls on building codes.

I like having my mail delivered to my door -- though I wish that businesses would have to pay to send me that junk that I walk directly to the recycle bin.

I like having drainage systems, levees, utility lines, access to clean water, etc. And let's not forget our libraries, schools, parks, etc.

Police and sanitation services are always good, as are jails for persons that have yet to learn to live in society without hurting others.

I could go on and on and on, but I think you get the picture.

Rather than make vague statements about wasting taxpayers money, why don't you pick one specific area of spending that you think should be addressed. I would imagine for every item on that list you would find at least a million citizens whose lives are helped by it.

Try working with the system to improve things rather than just spinning your wheels in anger and frustration.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
I'd like to see Obama and every single dem congressman/woman donate to the public debt themselves before they even consider hiking the taxes on the rest of us. Obama loves to talk ad nauseum about "people like him" who "have far more than he needs". Well Mr. POS President, start putting your money where your mouth is, hypocrite.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:05 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
OP, you seem to be suffering from a lot of angst, and I am guessing you are feeling a bit trod upon in life. I am sorry for your pain.

I don't agree with your premise statements, however. Personally, I don't think our government programs are a waste, and I am happy to pay my fair share of the taxes to enjoy those programs. In fact, I wish everyone had to -- especially the shrinking percent of our population that is earning the larger percent of our nation's gross income, and pays the smallest percent of the taxes.

Personally, I like having good roads, safe bridges and regulated construction of buildings. It makes me feel safe to know that I don't have to worry about things collapsing under me, as does happen in countries where there are not government controls on building codes.

I like having my mail delivered to my door -- though I wish that businesses would have to pay to send me that junk that I walk directly to the recycle bin.

I like having drainage systems, levees, utility lines, access to clean water, etc. And let's not forget our libraries, schools, parks, etc.

Police and sanitation services are always good, as are jails for persons that have yet to learn to live in society without hurting others.

I could go on and on and on, but I think you get the picture.

Rather than make vague statements about wasting taxpayers money, why don't you pick one specific area of spending that you think should be addressed. I would imagine for every item on that list you would find at least a million citizens whose lives are helped by it.

Try working with the system to improve things rather than just spinning your wheels in anger and frustration.
I like my bridges to collapse like the one on I-35.

Infastructure, buddy our outdated 1960s power grid wastes more power then it transmits. Texas thinks its such a great idea that decided to have one of their own and not share. Levee, we don't need no stinkin levee we can just flood perfectly good land that people shouldn't live on. I just hope an earthquake doesn't flood the California basin, it would be a shame if LA had to do without drinking water. Look at what improving the infastructure does, people might actually have to walk to their destination this weekend in L.A.

Schools? What schools, the only people who care about education are the ones that send their kids to private school. Think about, who would you rather pay a higher salary to: your garbage man, your toll taker, or your kid's teacher? People get so upset when teachers (that you entrust your child's future in) complain that they get paid less then your local dog catcher, that when the teacher tries to help your kid and get him or her to pass a standardized test ,because they can't do it on their own, they are labeled a cheat and the government comes after them with both barrels. They just tried to get your kid to pass a test, they didn't steal BILLIONS of tax payer dollars, ruin the economy and the country and do untold amounts of damage around the world and totally get away with it while having half of the country support them...now that's impressive.

Police and jails are totally not needed. Soon we will come up with an Escape from NY scenario where we put all the convicts on Fire Island, that way we can handle two problems at once.

Safe? You don't need to be safe. So your dog dies from bad Chinese food or you get sick because they used human bones in your drywall that you had no idea about. Its ok, your healthcare that you cant afford will make you well, if you ARE lucky enough to be able to get a plan will help you out. You see sick is good, it builds character and nothing says character like Tea Party!

Taxes...we don't need no stinking taxes.

The south thought the same way for 250 years and they turned out just fine...

Old 07-16-2011, 07:10 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
This is a perfect program.

Certainly there are enough liberals out there who believe in paying more taxes who now have a way to do so.

How much more fair can it be? You want taxes - then you pay taxes, no one is stopping you.
And no one's stopping those who oppose government services from refusing those services. How about those people put their actions where their mouths are?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:12 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Effort is better spent removing Republicans from decision-making positions. Pubs don't belong at the table. They have never proven themselves capable of running an economy, balancing a budget, or eliminating the deficit. In fact, their participation causes the problem to get WORSE.

As long as Pubs have a say, the economy suffers along with every other issue domestic and foreign. This is clear.
Nice try in ignoring the post.

How much was your check?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies