Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Why is it sad? We are now living in the information age and it is incumbent upon this and future generations to develop an economy based on the manipulation of information, which is exactly what social media does.
One might hope that this generation would focus on a cure for a disease. Silly me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
One might hope that this generation would focus on a cure for a disease. Silly me.
And I suppose you do not see how skills acquired while learning how to manipulate mega amounts of information would help to achieve that goal? You are correct, silly you.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:57 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
Well, if you are talking about inventions, then how about something like the energy-efficient light bulbs? I like HD TV. But what about 3d TV?

Some of the question has to do with the definition of "this generation". Where does "this generation" begin? Is the cellphone a product of this generation? The digital camera?

As for Facebook and Twitter, Facebook is okay for some people, but it's not earth-shaking for anyone, at least anyone that I know. Twitter's popularity puzzles me. It has made people communicate in superficial, short bursts, while texting without any thought of spelling or punctuation. I can't see the greatness there.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:11 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Wait, which generation. X or Y.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:15 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It's called skilled bias technical change. The technology for today can only employ those who are highly skilled and educated. The wealth does not level the playing field, so those who have no education get no piece of the pie.

Here is an interesting video

‪The Great Stagnation: Why Hasn't Recent Technology Created More Jobs?‬‏ - YouTube

Very good video.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Or some new advanced propulsion system to actually get us out into the solar system and deep space. Instead, we're celebrating Lamebook

Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Have to get rid of a couple of laws to do that.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
I judge and determine what is important by how easy or difficult it is to live without it. I would rather live without excessive means of communication than I would without running water...that's for sure.

My problem with all of the social networking stuff is that it has deterred people from exercising and honing their abilities to spend time in meditation, deep thought, wool gathering, daydreaming, etc. It has become just too easy to be distracted by mostly meaningless trivia and gossip. The art of penmanship has become a lost one, due to technology and texting. I really do not care what any celebrity or even a friend for that matter, is doing every waking minute of their lives. There is not even enough hours in the day to tend to personal matters, let alone care that much about anothers.

I recently cancelled my account with Facebook (which is not an easy task BTW) as it seemed just another way for people to follow the herd...people with 1000 friends??? Give me a break!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:16 PM

117 posts, read 182,804 times
Default Twitter????

I have no idea how Twitter works...I tried to figure it out and I'm coming up blank...can someone enlighten me on how it works? Do the celebs you follow actually respond or even see your tweets to them? how do anyone see what you are tweeting....any advice? If so you can Direct Message me. thank yoooou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies