Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,256,500 times

Advertisements

What's worse is that they demoted a whistleblowing employee who exposed their tax dodging scheme.

The question is, why would they complain about higher taxes when they don't pay many of them in the first place????

"Daniel Schlicksup, who was a global tax strategy manager for the company from 2005 to 2008, alleges that the company wrongly attributed at least $5.6 billion in profits from sales through an Illinois-based warehouse to its unit in Switzerland in order to lessen its tax burden and increase earnings.

He claims Caterpillar reassigned him to another job after he complained about the practice."

Caterpillar manager accuses company of 'tax dodge' - BusinessWeek

https://home.chicagobusiness.com/cli...WS05/110329893
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 11:42 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,899,161 times
They won't leave. They have nowhere to go. Caterpillar is a highly technical company. If they move to another state, the other state won't have a workforce capable of performing their manufacturing, research, and design. Unless of course they go to another high tax state (CA, NY, NJ).

I doubt that people in Arkansas or Mississippi have the educational and technical background to work there.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
They won't leave. They have nowhere to go. Caterpillar is a highly technical company. If they move to another state, the other state won't have a workforce capable of performing their manufacturing, research, and design. Unless of course they go to another high tax state (CA, NY, NJ).

I doubt that people in Arkansas or Mississippi have the educational and technical background to work there.
They avoided paying 2 billion in taxes. If you avoided paying that much in taxes, why would you complain about your tax rate going from 2% to 6%??

How dare you raise my taxes that I never pay!!!

Shame on you!!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:47 PM

7,786 posts, read 7,994,977 times
Quote:

Low blow and wrong.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,150,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
What's worse is that they demoted a whistleblowing employee who exposed their tax dodging scheme.

The question is, why would they complain about higher taxes when they don't pay many of them in the first place????

"Daniel Schlicksup, who was a global tax strategy manager for the company from 2005 to 2008, alleges that the company wrongly attributed at least $5.6 billion in profits from sales through an Illinois-based warehouse to its unit in Switzerland in order to lessen its tax burden and increase earnings.

He claims Caterpillar reassigned him to another job after he complained about the practice."

Caterpillar manager accuses company of 'tax dodge' - BusinessWeek

https://home.chicagobusiness.com/cli...WS05/110329893
I stopped reading your first link when I read that Caterpillar cheated on their federal income tax. Do you not know that it was the State of Illinois that was running them out with their raised taxes?

I will take it for granted that you don't know the difference in state and federal taxes. You do live in Canada, don't you?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I stopped reading your first link when I read that Caterpillar cheated on their federal income tax. Do you not know that it was the State of Illinois that was running them out with their raised taxes?

I will take it for granted that you don't know the difference in state and federal taxes. You do live in Canada, don't you?
Tax cheats have no right to complain about taxes. End of story. You obviously disagree, and that is your right.

Whether they are federal or state doesn't matter. A tax cheat is a tax cheat.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,174,115 times
Quote:

They can offer a sweet relocation deal to their people.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Tax cheats have no right to complain about taxes. End of story. You obviously disagree, and that is your right.

Whether they are federal or state doesn't matter. A tax cheat is a tax cheat.
The story started some months ago and Caterpillar threatened to leave Illinois.
Now moving to some other state wouldn't get them away from federal taxes so your argument is null and void.

You really don't see the difference in state and federal taxes, do you? I'll bet that you didn't know it was federal taxes that Tim Geithner didn't pay.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They can offer a sweet relocation deal to their people.
I doubt that many of their people wouldn't relocate if they went to a state where their taxes would be lower. I also, doubt that Texans aren't smart enough to get them down there. The example above showed that some people really do think that we don't have many smart people away from the population centers.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You really don't see the difference in state and federal taxes, do you? I'll bet that you didn't know it was federal taxes that Tim Geithner didn't pay.
A tax cheat is a tax cheat.

I suppose you think it's ok for them to cheat because it's federal taxes and the federal gubiment is EVIL.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies