Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:40 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times

Advertisements

For the Jane Fonda (it hurt just to type those words) crowd. You realize, had Vietnam been a "declared war," she would have been sent to prison or possibly executed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I believe Jane....and have, since knowing of her trips to Vietnam...and her stance against a horrible war....killing and maiming 'our troops'....and for what? What an old warped President (Johnson) and his war machine wanted....for who knows what reason.

I have always felt real good that when Jane spoke to college students..(I was one) in my home town....and as she spoke to a packed house (3 or 4 thousand people) ...I was seated on an upper level 40 feet from Jane....overlooking the stage...and a student asked Jane about why she did what she did in Vietnam....and she was in the process of giving a honest, reasonable answer ....and some student lashed out from the crowd...yelling out...''I knew you'd say that.'' --- I loudly said back to the girl in the audience....''Then why'd you ask her the question?''

I wanted to let Jane know...many (at least me) did not criticise or condemn her...for standing up for what she believed. - She smiled...and I felt ''mission accomplished!''

The men and women serving their country in Vietnam did not appreciate being called liars and baby killers by Jane Fonda.
Well....there were many stories and claims by many soldiers who were there....that lies were being fed back to the 'States'....many babies and innocent women...men...and children died or were maimed.....the same as in ''Bush's personal, evil war with Iraq.

Lt. Calley ring any bells?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Sorry but that reasoning does not absolve Hanoi Jane.
Most of the crap people whine about with Fonda has been disproven time and time again, even that POS McNamara came to admit Vietnam was a mistake. Put the blame where it belongs. Jane Fonda was a stupid kid who didn't know any better, the architects of the war like McNamara should have, they betrayed the public trust and should have hunf for it.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Most of the crap people whine about with Fonda has been disproven time and time again, even that POS McNamara came to admit Vietnam was a mistake. Put the blame where it belongs. Jane Fonda was a stupid kid who didn't know any better, the architects of the war like McNamara should have, they betrayed the public trust and should have hunf for it.
Go back to my other reply which has a link to the snopes article about Hanoi Jane for some facts of what she did, including calling returning POWs liars when they reported the torture they endured. Also, since when is a 35 year old woman considered a kid,...cause that's how old she was when she went to Vietnam.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Then she should have protested the President and Congress instead of showing support for the enemy of out troops in Vietnam.
The worst enemies of our troops in Vietnam were in Washington who put them in untenable positions to begin with, their actions were inexcusable.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
She was born in 1937, she was around 30 when she applauded Vietnamese gun crews that shot down American planes. If she was a kid, than I'm a young adult!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Go back to my other reply which has a link to the snopes article about Hanoi Jane for some facts of what she did, including calling returning POWs liars when they reported the torture they endured. Also, since when is a 35 year old woman considered a kid,...cause that's how old she was when she went to Vietnam.
OK, so she was older and stupid. [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-17-2011 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,710 times
There seems to be something missing whenever I read about what Jane Fonda did in Vietnam. I mean, she's not a complete idiot. Plus, she's never done anything that outrageous before or since. She was right that the war was a terrible thing, and our government was not telling us the whole truth. But, the way she went about bringing attention to the horrific war that seem to have gone on forever, makes me wonder if she is narcissist. She was a movie star married to a Frenchman. Did she go to college? I don't know.

It was grandiose of her to go to Vietnam and visit the enemy side to show the world that they weren't any different than the South Vietnamese. Then, believing their propaganda, announced that the American POW's were being well treated, and other ridiculous stuff. She apparently did this without any thought whatsoever to how this affected our troops who were going through hell. She seemed unaware of how vicious the North Vietnamese were and how cruel they were to the POW's. It just didn't register with her.

I saw an apology she gave on television many years ago and it was pretty lame. But, actually, it doesn't seem in her character to be a bad person. If she can provide a reasonable explanation for what she did, why doesn't she? She may have talked about this and I never saw it. I did read where she said the pictures were misleading. Someone said something funny right when the one of her laughing was snapped. She might have gotten shouted down at the school speech years ago, but she has had ample opportunity since then. She so good at writing books, why doesn't she write one explaining exactly what happened. It may have just been stupidity on her part in not knowing the truth and believing lies told to her by the North Vietnamese.

I believe the story about her giving the NV a note the POW's secretly passed to her telling how they were being treated has been debunked. Not sure if that's true. If that were true, for sure she should be in jail.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:51 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
The worst enemies of our troops in Vietnam were in Washington who put them in untenable positions to begin with, their actions were inexcusable.
Politicians (regardless of party) have always been the worst enemies of our troops. That's unlikely to change.

That said, the actions or inactions of politicians do nothing to excuse Fonda's actions. She more than earned the animosity that's rightfully still following her.

Her whining about it now, when she has yet to offer a heartfelt apology for her actions, speaks volumes as to her lack of character.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:55 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,647 times
Quote:

Jane Fonda (born Lady Jayne Seymour Fonda; December 21, 1937)

Actually, Lady Jane was only 34 years young...when in Hanoi.

And she's a 'hot' fox at 73 years young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies