Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times

Advertisements

I am looking for common-sense conservative economics in a presidential candidate because the country is on the wrong track with the wasteful, misguided, redistributionist policies of the Obama administration in my opinion.

BUT so many of the announced Republican candidates combine a laissez-faire economic attitude with a dramatically interventionist approach on social issues. I'm straight (married a million years to the same fine lady) but I would like to see committed gays pay the marriage penalty just like heterosexuals do. I don't do drugs, but hate the counter-productive war on drugs (other than alcohol) that we cannot afford anyway. I'm about as conservative as they come when it comes to free markets and private enterprise, but in full agreement with the Founders' views on the evils of government-supported religion. I hate the idea of abortion, but doubt the wisdom of attempting to ban something that millions of people use.

It seems like the Tea Party was just about economics and it kept to that subject with great discipline for about 15 minutes. Then all this other stuff got drug into it. I don't have any interest in denying normal civil rights to gays, or posting the Ten Commandments in the schools or Courthouse, or denigrating people who believe in unpopular religions.

Where's my candidate? I don't need one who agrees 100% with me, but I can't vote for one whose laissez faire approach goes out the window on every social issue.

Help me out if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I am looking for common-sense conservative economics in a presidential candidate because the country is on the wrong track with the wasteful, misguided, redistributionist policies of the Obama administration in my opinion.

BUT so many of the announced Republican candidates combine a laissez-faire economic attitude with a dramatically interventionist approach on social issues. I'm straight (married a million years to the same fine lady) but I would like to see committed gays pay the marriage penalty just like heterosexuals do. I don't do drugs, but hate the counter-productive war on drugs (other than alcohol) that we cannot afford anyway. I'm about as conservative as they come when it comes to free markets and private enterprise, but in full agreement with the Founders' views on the evils of government-supported religion. I hate the idea of abortion, but doubt the wisdom of attempting to ban something that millions of people use.

It seems like the Tea Party was just about economics and it kept to that subject with great discipline for about 15 minutes. Then all this other stuff got drug into it. I don't have any interest in denying normal civil rights to gays, or posting the Ten Commandments in the schools or Courthouse, or denigrating people who believe in unpopular religions.

Where's my candidate? I don't need one who agrees 100% with me, but I can't vote for one whose laissez faire approach goes out the window on every social issue.

Help me out if you can.
Ron Paul.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,756 times
...keep lookin'...

Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Sounds like you are a RINO and looking for same. Good luck.

Seriously, I would welcome some sensible republicans. This debt ceiling debacle is really causing me to HATE the republican leadership. McConnell especially. What a complete creep. He is so obsessed with trashing Obama, and scorched earth politics, he cannot govern. And it is almost like the rightwing crazies want so badly to trash the government, and grab power, that if they govern ineptly enough they can prove their point that government is evil. The problem is, most of the country will be burned by their political napalm.

What about decent citizens running for office?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 PM

277 posts, read 577,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Ron Paul.
Not when it comes to gay marriage, abortion, or the drug war.

Gary Johnson, former Governor of New Mexico is your man.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Sounds like you are a RINO and looking for same. Good luck.

Seriously, I would welcome some sensible republicans. This debt ceiling debacle is really causing me to HATE the republican leadership. McConnell especially. What a complete creep. He is so obsessed with trashing Obama, and scorched earth politics, he cannot govern. And it is almost like the rightwing crazies want so badly to trash the government, and grab power, that if they govern ineptly enough they can prove their point that government is evil. The problem is, most of the country will be burned by their political napalm.

What about decent citizens running for office?
Fiddlehead, I hope your characterization of me as a RINO is wrong. Barry Goldwater, although he was immolated in the 1964 presidential election, helped make later Republican successes possible. And he had a libertarian streak a mile wide. William F. Buckley promoted legalizing marijuana decades ago. This is the historical strand of the party that I hope has not dried up completely.

I just cannot get over the philosophical inconsistency between the economics and social issues stances of some of these candidates. If we understand free people operating in free markets, making their own decisions, why can't we translate that into freedom to choose drugs other than alcohol, or people thriving and participating fully in society with same-sex orientation?

Thank you for what I perceive to be kind words, even though I am certain we are 180 degrees apart on many issues.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Ron Paul.
Indeed.

Ron Paul 2012.

I suggest the OP read Revolution: a Manifesto by Ron Paul. In that book he addresses all you have in your post and answers those questions.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post

Ron Paul has stated he is personally socially conservative but wouldn't press his social views on others and prefers states legislate on social issues and drug policy, not the Feds

Old 07-17-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post

Gribbler, I read your link and also this one:

Issues

Thank you very much for posting. I'll be appraising Gary Johnson and Ron Paul very carefully.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Fiddlehead, I hope your characterization of me as a RINO is wrong. Barry Goldwater, although he was immolated in the 1964 presidential election, helped make later Republican successes possible. And he had a libertarian streak a mile wide. William F. Buckley promoted legalizing marijuana decades ago. This is the historical strand of the party that I hope has not dried up completely.

I just cannot get over the philosophical inconsistency between the economics and social issues stances of some of these candidates. If we understand free people operating in free markets, making their own decisions, why can't we translate that into freedom to choose drugs other than alcohol, or people thriving and participating fully in society with same-sex orientation?

Thank you for what I perceive to be kind words, even though I am certain we are 180 degrees apart on many issues.
You're welcome. No, I don't think you are a RINO, but my opinion does not count for much with righties. How about Michael Bloomberg? Elizabeth Dole? Olympia Snow?

I actually think a socially moderate, fiscally conservative woman would have the best chance at the presidency. Unfortunately, neither Bachmann nor Palin come close to qualifying, and the party bosses have essentially snuffed out independent thinkers in recent years.

At first I thought the TP types would emerge as somewhat moderate, but they have clearly crystallized as the next manifestation of the belligerant Southern Christian Social Conservative block we have seen since Reagan. As a moderate democrat, I will never vote of a candidate put forward by those people, but I would consider a moderate Republican who really exuded fiscal mastery, say Bloomberg. People love to trash Obama, but he seems much more intellectually capable of grasping the current complexity than the slash and burn team he is facing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies