Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 AM

50,125 posts, read 46,734,976 times

Advertisements

I buy large amounts of ammo when it's on sale. I'm also prepped for a large quake. I guess that means me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,517,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
Southernprepper1 Channel Awesome - YouTube
Do you watch any other YouTube channels on that topic? I assume you do, so consider that an inquiry into whatever channels interest you.

I know there's a bit of 'drama' that surrounds some of the more well known YouTubers on the subject, but I try to watch most of their channels for whatever information I can glean from them, and just ignore the little rivalries they sometimes have going among themselves.

I enjoy a mix of the different topics. I watch some channels for weapons (be it knife reviews, firearms information), others for good food preparation and storage information, some channels for off the grid living equipment and homesteading skills; and yet other channels I watch for bushcraft techniques, hiking/outdoor living equipment reviews, etc...

A few channels I enjoy:
Yankee Prepper (King of the lightning rods)
Nutnfancy (lightning rod number 2)
Beast 12101
jasonklass
Packrat556
Envirosponsible
Hickok45
Wildernessoutfitters (Dave Canterburys channel)
SouthernPrepper1
Engineer775
Sooch00
survivalreport
survivalistboards
GhillieArnhem
2brothersadventures

Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,311,502 times
Default stockpiling food, water and ammo

I do have food and water stored for a disaster, i also have plenty of ammo but thats because I enjoy shooting. I also have a disaster kit in each car which has an emergangy blanket, lighters, firstaid supplies and snack bars.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,833,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What kind of emergency? Who says I'll be home if anything happens? Who says those shelves of canned food won't be trapped under rubble? I mean, I worry about the tread on my tires...but I can't worry about every what if scenario I can think up. I take daily precautions and can survive isolated for a bit in my home if need be but beyond that, yup. Screwed. But I don't loose sleep over it.
No, instead you seem to think that it is someone elses responsibility to take care of you and your failure to be prepared. Water, food, first aid, shelter, back-up power is not exactly "what iffing" every scenario. Who says you have to be home? Do you have a kit in your car? A back-up plan and place to go if you cannot get home?

Frankly, the failure for people to take personal responsibility for being prepared is the height of selfishness and irresponsibility. That some Americans learned absolutely nothing from Katrina, Hugo or other natural disasters is an appauling reflection of the dependant entitlement society.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:14 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,216,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Frankly, the failure for people to take personal responsibility for being prepared is the height of selfishness and irresponsibility. That some Americans learned absolutely nothing from Katrina, Hugo or other natural disasters is an appauling reflection of the dependant entitlement society.
What blew my mind the first time I read about it on one of the survivalist forums was preppers commenting about their sheeple neighbors who rushed out to buy the last of the plywood sheets and generators just before the hurricane was supposed to hit -- and then tried to RETURN THEM for a refund once the danger was past.

THAT'S the kind of mentality that really scares me -- living in the moment and being reactive, not proactive, in preparing for recurring events in your area.

When the next hurricane looms, those will be the same people trampling others to repurchase what they should have kept.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,434,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
haha, owned:

Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 PM

37,083 posts, read 42,056,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, instead you seem to think that it is someone elses responsibility to take care of you and your failure to be prepared. Water, food, first aid, shelter, back-up power is not exactly "what iffing" every scenario. Who says you have to be home? Do you have a kit in your car? A back-up plan and place to go if you cannot get home?

Is that what I seem to think? After saying I can handle isolation in my home for awhile? Or did you miss that part.

That's all anyone can do. If it's worse than that I could well be dead. Then I won't care anyway.

I can think on my feet. IF a disaster strikes all plans may well be moot and you will have to make them on the fly. That's how people survive. One thing I did learn is to leave the area when told, not hole up in my fortress of doom.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:18 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,133,121 times
slcpunk,

before you get to giddy about your discovery, play the video again and see if the same ad is there. when i just clicked on it there is one for dating pretty chinese girls. if you didnt realize it the random ads that pop up are how youtube makes their money. the southernprepper had no control over the anointed ones ad to move the country back from being there. nice try and thanks for visiting.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,133,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Is that what I seem to think? After saying I can handle isolation in my home for awhile? Or did you miss that part.

That's all anyone can do. If it's worse than that I could well be dead. Then I won't care anyway.

I can think on my feet. IF a disaster strikes all plans may well be moot and you will have to make them on the fly. That's how people survive. One thing I did learn is to leave the area when told, not hole up in my fortress of doom.
of course thinking on your feet is important. thats why our military is superior and always has been, they are given the ability to think on their feet and anyone can at any time be tasked with leading. other forces are done once the commander on scene is taken out. however there is no replacement for preparedness. having supplies like food and not needing them is better than needing them and they are not available any where. people are to accustomed to having the government take care of them. look at new orleans, perfect example. mayor said get out way to late and there was no plan.

gotta wonder though, why would someone from northern california even care or read this forum from sarasota. it says on your header you have 12,723 posts? you must be on these boards 24/7

Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,831,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
What blew my mind the first time I read about it on one of the survivalist forums was preppers commenting about their sheeple neighbors who rushed out to buy the last of the plywood sheets and generators just before the hurricane was supposed to hit -- and then tried to RETURN THEM for a refund once the danger was past.

THAT'S the kind of mentality that really scares me -- living in the moment and being reactive, not proactive, in preparing for recurring events in your area.

When the next hurricane looms, those will be the same people trampling others to repurchase what they should have kept.
That sort of thing was and still is huge around here during hurricanes, a few weeks and months after hurricanes Ike and Rita there were literally hundreds, maybe thousands of "never been used" generators on Craigslist that people bought in parking lots out of semi trucks and didn't need. They got them cheap because they're worthless crap generators and they saw a clear weather report so they tried to sell them for what they paid or sometimes even more.

It's shocking how many people are completely and utterly unprepared for anything that might happen, anything from a huge hurricane to a single day without access to a grocery store or gas station. My neighbors were funny as hell when Ike was rolling in, I had quite a few comment about me being one of the very few who boarded up their windows days ahead of time... these were the same people knocking on my door wanting to borrow screws and a saw to cut particle board for their windows literally as the skies were turning dark and the wind was starting to blow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies