Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 01:24 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,916,705 times

Advertisements

It seems it’s more the younger generation that is having a obesity problem, claiming one should be happy with your body even if you are grossly obese, if a doctor tells a patient they need to lose weight, then your body shaming, not watching their children’s diet and letting them drink sugared drinks, bags of chips, candy, feeding them fatty foods and fast foods. Yes you can have vegetables and chicken even on food stamps or budgeting. Kids aren’t encouraged to exercise, play outside, but are on videos or smartphones. It’s not just baby boomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 01:29 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
It seems it’s more the younger generation that is having a obesity problem, claiming one should be happy with your body even if you are grossly obese, if a doctor tells a patient they need to lose weight, then your body shaming, not watching their children’s diet and letting them drink sugared drinks, bags of chips, candy, feeding them fatty foods and fast foods. Yes you can have vegetables and chicken even on food stamps or budgeting. Kids aren’t encouraged to exercise, play outside, but are on videos or smartphones. It’s not just baby boomers.
Correct, the soft approach on weight is a complete failure, one I definitely disagree with. The healthcare system and doctors care more about treating symptoms, not actually asking patients to make a large-scale effort to modify their diets to solve the problem.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:50 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, I'm definitely not younger, thanks for asking. I took radical dietary measures to alter my diet over 12 years ago. I never worry about gaining weight because I no longer consume wheat, soy, and high fructose corn syrup. I also eat little processed, frozen, or fast foods. The key is single ingredient foods, fresh fruit and veg, Mediterranean diet, and a general higher protein/low carbohydrate approach. I weigh far less than I did back in 2007-08 before I modified everything.

Exactly!!!! Just curious, did you take dairy off the menu as well? I did.

Also exercise is crucial. How much effort does it take to walk 2 or so miles a day/5x a week? Very little at all. I walk the same route everyday. In my neighborhood, probably a group of 20 or so do as well. I see them daily. Guess what? Not one of them would be classified as obese.

Diet and exercise does wonders.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:24 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
No, I'm definitely not younger, thanks for asking. I took radical dietary measures to alter my diet over 12 years ago. I never worry about gaining weight because I no longer consume wheat, soy, and high fructose corn syrup. I also eat little processed, frozen, or fast foods. The key is single ingredient foods, fresh fruit and veg, Mediterranean diet, and a general higher protein/low carbohydrate approach. I weigh far less than I did back in 2007-08 before I modified everything.
You're so right! DH & I did the same thing...changed our way of eating--for the better.

We, too, can't eat the way we used to and not gain weight. Metabolism changes as we age and diminishing hormones make fat find us and stick with us.

Seems unfair! Now that we have more time to cook, we have to cook differently. But I view it for the best. There are many onsite recipe blogs that help the cause.

We just made and really enjoyed a sauteed ground turkey stuffed avocado recipe from skinnytaste.com. It was mucho delicious, easy to make, filling and low in calories. A win-win-win-win.

That's my goal as I age: Eat well: eat delicious.

Keep on truckin'. And exercise. I'd rather wear out than rust out.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Exactly!!!! Just curious, did you take dairy off the menu as well? I did.

Also exercise is crucial. How much effort does it take to walk 2 or so miles a day/5x a week? Very little at all. I walk the same route everyday. In my neighborhood, probably a group of 20 or so do as well. I see them daily. Guess what? Not one of them would be classified as obese.

Diet and exercise does wonders.
Good question, yes I generally avoid dairy, and only eat organic cheese, I haven't consumed any standard milk in decades.
Exercise is the key, I have more energy today after being out in the woods hiking for many miles yesterday. I'm not the kind of person that is satisfied with just using a home gym exclusively while working from home.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-31-2022 at 01:08 PM..

Old 01-31-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
You're so right! DH & I did the same thing...changed our way of eating--for the better.

We, too, can't eat the way we used to and not gain weight. Metabolism changes as we age and diminishing hormones make fat find us and stick with us.

Seems unfair! Now that we have more time to cook, we have to cook differently. But I view it for the best. There are many onsite recipe blogs that help the cause.

We just made and really enjoyed a sauteed ground turkey stuffed avocado recipe from skinnytaste.com. It was mucho delicious, easy to make, filling and low in calories. A win-win-win-win.

That's my goal as I age: Eat well: eat delicious.

Keep on truckin'. And exercise. I'd rather wear out than rust out.
If I'm not cooking entire meals, I really prefer the plant based Evol bowls, the Veggie Burrito Bowl, (actually Vegan) is amazing.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-31-2022 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-31-2022, 12:20 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The fast food generation is finally paying for all that fast food.

Poll: Obesity hits more boomers than others in US - Yahoo! News
"They're going to be expensive if they don't get their act together," says Jeff Levi of the nonprofit Trust for America's Health. He points to a study that found Medicare pays 34 percent more on an obese senior than one who's a healthy weight.

About 60 percent of boomers polled say they're dieting to lose weight, and slightly more are eating more fruits and vegetables or cutting cholesterol and salt."
Um, they are around 60 years old and older, so they will no doubt be one of the heaviest groups. Kind of a non-story, don't you think?

Old 01-31-2022, 12:31 PM

10,809 posts, read 4,501,454 times
and in 30 years the headline will read 'millenials' ,then gen x, y etc

has the author never been exposed to the facts of the aging process?

Old 01-31-2022, 12:32 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
Quote:
Correct, the soft approach on weight is a complete failure, one I definitely disagree with. The healthcare system and doctors care more about treating symptoms, not actually asking patients to make a large-scale effort to modify their diets to solve the problem.
Because in today's society it's about "money" and there is no money in getting yourself healthy and fit.
But there is big money in prescription meds.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:33 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
and in 30 years the headline will read 'millenials' ,then gen x, y etc

has the author never been exposed to the facts of the aging process?
It has nothing to do with the "aging process". Go look at history.
"Aged" people were never as fat/obese as they are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies