Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:44 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times

Advertisements

"I would like to thank Imam Mohamed Magid and the ADAMS Center for extending their hospitality to me this afternoon. We enjoyed heartfelt fellowship and thoughtful dialogue about how patriotic Americans of all faiths can work together to restore the American Dream.

While I stand by my opposition to the interference of shariah law into the American legal system, I remain humble and contrite for any statements I have made that might have caused offense to Muslim Americans and their friends. I am truly sorry for any comments that may have betrayed my commitment to the U.S. Constitution and the freedom of religion guaranteed by it. Muslims, like all Americans, have the right to practice their faith freely and peacefully.

As I expected, we discovered we have much more in common in our values and virtues. In my own life as a black youth growing up in the segregated South, I understand their frustration with stereotypes. Those in attendance, like most Muslim Americans, are peaceful Muslims and patriotic Americans whose good will is often drowned out by the reprehensible actions of jihadists.

I am encouraged by the bonds of friendship forged today at our meeting, and I look forward to continuing this very healthy dialogue. The relationship we established was so positive that the Imam has invited me back to speak to not only some of their youth, but also at one of their worship services."

Cain Meets with American Muslim Leaders

Last edited by ovcatto; 07-28-2011 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
I doubt he even believed some of the stuff he said originally, he was just playing to his base. At any rate I still remain wary of Islam.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,518,975 times
wow, that's a 360. Kudos to Herman.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:24 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
I don't really trust religious nuts regardless of which millenia old book they subscribe to be the truth.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I doubt he even believed some of the stuff he said originally, he was just playing to his base. At any rate I still remain wary of Islam.
If you go back and listen to the context of his statements about islam during the interview--it was always about shariah law, not the right to practice a religion. Honestly...it got blown way out of proportion by a media that was looking for some news.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
If you go back and listen to the context of his statements about islam during the interview--it was always about shariah law, not the right to practice a religion. Honestly...it got blown way out of proportion by a media that was looking for some news.
That's pretty funny Calvin, apologize for an apology.

So let's revisit what Herman Caine said and why he is apologizing:

"...the fact that Islam is both a religion and set of laws, Sharia law. That is the difference between any one of our other traditional religions where it's just about religious purposes."

The implication being that Muslims do not enjoy the same constitutional protections as other religions. That is something that misconstruction of the Constitution is worthy of an apology from anyone seeking the presidency of the United States.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,233,607 times
Good for him!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Ron Paul is rubbing off on the clowns under the GOP big top.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,308,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
wow, that's a 360. Kudos to Herman.
I think you mean a 180. I 360 would be a return to the original orientation. Anyway, Cain is opposed to Sharia Law and not to the non-political aspects of Islam.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That's pretty funny Calvin, apologize for an apology.

So let's revisit what Herman Caine said and why he is apologizing:

"...the fact that Islam is both a religion and set of laws, Sharia law. That is the difference between any one of our other traditional religions where it's just about religious purposes."

The implication being that Muslims do not enjoy the same constitutional protections as other religions. That is something that misconstruction of the Constitution is worthy of an apology from anyone seeking the presidency of the United States.
You may have Inferred from Cain's comments that he Implied "Muslims do not enjoy the same constitutional protections as other religions."

What he said is a basic truth--- Islam is a religion and a legal system based on the Quran imposed by government.

It's nothing like efforts in a secular representative government to have one's religious or moral beliefs reflected in laws, with a non-religious court system deciding constitutionality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies