Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,291,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
any doctor will tell you that what comes out of the (*%al cavity) is not good for your health.
I think that's why they call it waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Now, let's look at what the truth is in the U.S.

"Men are more affected by HIV and AIDS in the United States than women. Male adult or adolescents accounted for 3 out of 4 new HIV diagnoses and new AIDS diagnoses in the U.S. in 2009."

"The HIV transmission route leading to the most AIDS diagnosis in 2009 was male-to-male sexual contact, followed by heterosexual contact and injection drug use."

United States Statistics by Transmission Route and Gender
Those darn facts just get in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:43 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,262,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
So Lyle is banned also?
C'mon. If "Lyle" were married to Michelle or Sarah, he'd be accused in an instant of being in the closet by our LGBTQ friends.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,611,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No he has a point. If they lined up five guys and you got to pick one to get a blood transfusion from would you pick the "weirdo" or the guy that looks "normal"?
It's irrelevant because if the blood is clean, it's clean. You could have a sharp-looking rich guy with HIV standing next to a homeless person who doesn't have HIV. Using your system, you'd choose the blood from the rich guy with HIV over the homeless guy whose blood is clean.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:37 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,172,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
well it depends on if they any diseases. I'd tell someone like ME to donate blood BEFORE a promiscuous heterosexual. being gay is an orientation not a behavior
And how are you, as a pastoral counselor, to know whether he has any disease or not? You are not in medical school and you will never be qualified to determine the state of anyone's health. Are you just going to take his word for it that he is "clean"? When you, yourself, admit you are willing to lie about your sexual orientation, how can you possibly trust anyone else to be truthful? It is appalling that in your professional duties as a pastoral counselor you admit that you would advise someone to lie about ANYTHING.

God help you when YOU need a blood transfusion.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 07-20-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 07:11 AM

77,970 posts, read 60,134,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
well it depends on if they any diseases. I'd tell someone like ME to donate blood BEFORE a promiscuous heterosexual. being gay is an orientation not a behavior
1. They didn't put those protocols in to deal with YOU specificially.
2. The blood banks are ALWAYS desperate for new donors, they aren't turning away gays, pierced, tatooed, johns\prostitutes etc. for laughs.

Frankly, in your case I would probably do the same thing and stay quiet on the application and donate anyway.

However, I find your self-righteous indignation rather appalling over "gay rights to donate blood" in general given that the protocols were put in place to keep the blood supply safer and not repeat the KILLING OF MANY via contaminated blood.

Really, you sound like some guy that likes to get liquored up and drive complaining about DUI laws because they can handle thier liquor and drive and others can't. While it may be true in their case, it's a pretty offensive argument with the well documented trail of bodies left from drunk driving as well as contaminated blood.

P.S. You can just keep ignoring my rationale balanced posts and respond to the bigots and hyperbole if it makes you feel justified but I think you know in your heart WHY they have these types of rules which apply to a lot more people than gays. Are the discriminating against people that enjoy some legal prostitution in Thailand as well?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,183,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
C'mon. If "Lyle" were married to Michelle or Sarah, he'd be accused in an instant of being in the closet by our LGBTQ friends.
Oh I am sure the cheerleaders on both sides would be in chant mode.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,953,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's irrelevant because if the blood is clean, it's clean. You could have a sharp-looking rich guy with HIV standing next to a homeless person who doesn't have HIV. Using your system, you'd choose the blood from the rich guy with HIV over the homeless guy whose blood is clean.
If they were to open up blood donations to everyone who "wanted to" then I guess I'd have to take my chances as would everyone else. That is the point. Why take the chance? Gays are excluded for a reason as are needle users etc. If they choose that lifestyle then your forcing anybody who gets your blood to choose that lifestyle too. It's based on common sense and sadly many don't have any. If I were gay and they don't take my blood because of it then oh well. I'll keep it. I guess my point is what's the friggen big deal? Is it the $40 bucks? If not then this is much ado about a hairdo.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM

77,970 posts, read 60,134,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If they were to open up blood donations to everyone who "wanted to" then I guess I'd have to take my chances as would everyone else. That is the point. Why take the chance? Gays are excluded for a reason as are needle users etc. If they choose that lifestyle then your forcing anybody who gets your blood to choose that lifestyle too. It's based on common sense and sadly many don't have any. If I were gay and they don't take my blood because of it then oh well. I'll keep it. I guess my point is what's the friggen big deal? Is it the $40 bucks? If not then this is much ado about a hairdo.
Yeah.

I find this particularily interesting because the new cases of HIV are EXPLODING once again in the younger gay community because the stigma of it and concept that it would kill you has gone out the window. So, unprotected sex is back and along with it HIV. Wow, how empowering.

Want to know what happens when you don't keep tight controls on your donors?

Contaminated haemophilia blood products - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-20-2011, 01:03 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,130,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. They didn't put those protocols in to deal with YOU specificially.
2. The blood banks are ALWAYS desperate for new donors, they aren't turning away gays, pierced, tatooed, johns\prostitutes etc. for laughs.

Frankly, in your case I would probably do the same thing and stay quiet on the application and donate anyway.

However, I find your self-righteous indignation rather appalling over "gay rights to donate blood" in general given that the protocols were put in place to keep the blood supply safer and not repeat the KILLING OF MANY via contaminated blood.

Really, you sound like some guy that likes to get liquored up and drive complaining about DUI laws because they can handle thier liquor and drive and others can't. While it may be true in their case, it's a pretty offensive argument with the well documented trail of bodies left from drunk driving as well as contaminated blood.

P.S. You can just keep ignoring my rationale balanced posts and respond to the bigots and hyperbole if it makes you feel justified but I think you know in your heart WHY they have these types of rules which apply to a lot more people than gays. Are the discriminating against people that enjoy some legal prostitution in Thailand as well?

Great post! It is a very strange attitude to have, isn't it. The priorities are flipped. Like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,953,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah.

I find this particularily interesting because the new cases of HIV are EXPLODING once again in the younger gay community because the stigma of it and concept that it would kill you has gone out the window. So, unprotected sex is back and along with it HIV. Wow, how empowering.

Want to know what happens when you don't keep tight controls on your donors?

Contaminated haemophilia blood products - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
China is still going through it because the government turned the other way to the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies